UEFA Champions League 2014-15

BBZ8800

It is revisionism. But you have to remember that the team was out of sorts against Bayern. Injured Messi, injured Mascherano, Bartra getting a baptism of fire, sick coach, etc.

I was reading our forum back then (without a profile) every day.
I remember how most of our fans were saying even after the first match that we can still turn the tie in the 2nd leg, we just need to play 120%.
I mean, that is right, of course we needed to believe, but my point is, the euphoria was pretty huge on our forum back then.
We had 100 points in the league and 2009 and 2011 weren't that far away.
2012 was a bad luck, and we thought we are returning on top of CL again.

When I am now reading some posts about our team back then, just lol (not yours, KingMessi).
Now it sounds as we were horrible back then, and as if we KNEW that we are horrible, lol.

The story was much different back then.
(I checked now, and LUCKILY I have found a topic from that Season):
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/9546-Champions-League-12-13/page221

This is the moment of semifinals draw.

So, anyone who is interested, can check that topic and see if we were that "weak" back then, and what we thought before the matches, and how we cursed after the matches.

Enjoy in reading, I will surely, lol :lol:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
I don't believe I have posts from back then, BBZ, I joined the forum that summer :D. I will have a read through though.

Hindsight is 20/20. :D

KingLeo10

Yeah, that was exactly my point. That's why you can't say "objectively speaking". There are no objective criteria for such a statement. Now if you simply meant it as a figure of speech, as people frequently use "literally", then fair enough ;)

no, my entire argument was to separate perception from facts and figures (in other words "objectivity").to a neutral observer who only sees W/L/D records, barca has a superior record to bayern both in overall games this season and in games that would be termed big (conventionally defined as against top 4 sides in league, same sides in copa, CL knockouts). while this isn't a perfect argument (as that is impossible), i think it is a more fair argument because it centers on football results while yours centers on my post :D

Patricho

Which club side would you say has had the best results this season? Especially in big games?

I actually think the 4 teams in the semis are a perfect representation of the current 4 best clubs this season. Juve slightly behind the other three, but they might surprise people, who knows. It's too close to call right now between Barca, Bayern and Real. Also it can change so quickly. One good game or one bad game can have a huge influence on people's perception. As obvious as it might sound, but the semis and the final will take care of that answer.

StarLord

Yeah, that was exactly my point. That's why you can't say "objectively speaking". There are no objective criteria for such a statement. Now if you simply meant it as a figure of speech, as people frequently use "literally", then fair enough ;)

We actually have dozens of football results this season. That is more than "subjective biases". Wouldn't you say?

StarLord

I actually think the 4 teams in the semis are a perfect representation of the current 4 best clubs this season. Juve slightly behind the other three, but they might surprise people, who knows. It's too close to call right now between Barca, Bayern and Real. Also it can change so quickly. One good game or one bad game can have a huge influence on people's perception. As obvious as it might sound, but the semis and the final will take care of that answer.

So you think that the results of Barca/Real/Bayern this season are just about equal?

Morten

So you think that the results of Barca/Real/Bayern this season are just about equal?

There isnt a whole lot to seperate, in truth. Modric should be back by the time of the final, if we indeed make it there. The final will be very open with Barca/Bayern vs Real.

Vlom

Previously known as Mehssi
This game can not come soon enough :lol:

Every team's fan forums will grow thousands of pages until then, all news articles on the media have already record number of comments .. Uefa is getting exactly what they want !

They're pretty good !

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Patricho

no, my entire argument was to separate perception from facts and figures (in other words "objectivity").to a neutral observer who only sees W/L/D records, barca has a superior record to bayern both in overall games this season and in games that would be termed big (conventionally defined as against top 4 sides in league, same sides in copa, CL knockouts). while this isn't a perfect argument (as that is impossible), i think it is a more fair argument because it centers on football results while yours centers on my post :D

Still your argument relies on too many unwarranted assumptions. Only looking at results is too narrow for an objective approach. There are so many factors involved in a game of football. Now I might be pedantic, but that's why it's a baseless claim to say that objectively speaking Team X is the best in the world.

Many people think Real were the best last year, others say it was Atletico. Nobody in their right mind would say Chelsea in 2012 or Liverpool in 2005 were the best team in the world.

If the results were so one sided and the gap between the "best" and the "second best" were huge, then looking at results would maybe suffice. However, to be really objective you'd have to watch every single game of Bayern, Barca, and Real in a season and analyze them. But unless you're working for a football club as a scout or just simply mad, there's no point in doing so. ;)

StarLord

Still your argument relies on too many unwarranted assumptions. Only looking at results is too narrow for an objective approach. There are so many factors involved in a game of football. Now I might be pedantic, but that's why it's a baseless claim to say that objectively speaking Team X is the best in the world.

Many people think Real were the best last year, others say it was Atletico. Nobody in their right mind would say Chelsea in 2012 or Liverpool in 2005 were the best team in the world.

If the results were so one sided and the gap between the "best" and the "second best" were huge, then looking at results would maybe suffice. However, to be really objective you'd have to watch every single game of Bayern, Barca, and Real in a season and analyze them. But unless you're working for a football club as a scout or just simply mad, there's no point in doing so. ;)

I agree with everything you have said there. 100%.

But I am posing a wholly different question:
Which club side has had the best results this season, especially in big games?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Chelsea and PSG are much stronger than Juve, I dare say. Also, they are far behind Bayern/Barca/Real, not slightly. The two legs against Real will see them exposed heavily.

StarLord

Chelsea and PSG are much stronger than Juve, I dare say. Also, they are far behind Bayern/Barca/Real, not slightly. The two legs against Real will see them exposed heavily.

I am not sure they are much stronger (Chelsea and PSG) than Juventus, but they are at the very least equal. City are not any worse than Juve either.

What gives Juventus some hope here, is that Real Madrid has to win a game at the RSP right before the first semi, and a home game vs Valencia bang on in the middle of the two legs. Juventus could not care less about their domestic league games. They have already won it.

DrPepper

Even the Atletico that had no chance against RM are (much) better than Juve, as the group stage has shown. Juve only have great names on paper. Only in Fifa they're on the same level as RM / Barca / Bayern.

Home of Barca Fans