UEFA Champions League 2014-15

StarLord

@Sterlingfan: Why do you even worry about the CL, I am sure the Championship promotion play-offs beat that hands down...

Sterlingfan2000

So far I understand Hamad is a Person/User here. So I am beeing accused of beeing him, because my posting style is similar? I hope u better think before accusing someone without any logic proof

ricknattery

A clasico on a CL final would possibly get as much attention as a WC final. There would be so much at stake I don't think the world could handle it :lol:

amircule

No one mentioned us "best team in the world " in 2013 , at least not in the second half of the season ,in which we lost the HOME clasico 3-1 , and the away one 2-1 in only five days .
Barca won the league in 2013 mostly because of their wonderful / Mou's dreadful first half of the season , leaving an 18 point gap in laliga standings .

Morten

A clasico on a CL final would possibly get as much attention as a WC final. There would be so much at stake I don't think the world could handle it :lol:

I think the magnitute of such a scenario would take away from the football, there is so much at stake and that would affect the players.

Morten

No one mentioned us "best team in the world " in 2013 , at least not in the second half of the season ,in which we lost the HOME clasico 3-1 , and the away one 2-1 in only five days .
Barca won the league in 2013 mostly because of their wonderful / Mou's dreadful first half of the season , leaving an 18 point gap in laliga standings .

Even if we had a good season that year, barca still tied our record with 100 points., so they would probably still have won the league regardless. Its just absurd that barca 2013 got 100 points in the league, while they got destroyed left and right by top teams(real and bayern mainly).

BBZ8800

Best team in the world? We were a wreck back then

Be cautious about that.
That is revisionism.

Today, when we look at those times, we say: "Oh, we were poor and had so many problems and injuries. We weren't that good"
-- but in those days, before the defeat, even though we knew that we weren't as good as in Pep's era, we still believed that we are good enough to win a CL in 2013
-- just look at that poll from 2013 where 2/3 of our fans voted that we will win a CL before a tie against Bayern in semis

Also, when you look from today's perspective into last years, we will say: "Oh, we were much weaker, we had problems and our whole Season was very poor"
-- again, that is a revisionism
-- remember, LAST YEAR, before matches against Atletico in a CL and 5 rounds before the end of La Liga, most of us here believed that we could win a treble
-- ok, we weren't too strong and we played hot and cold, but on our night, we could have won against any team in the world

But then, when we lost everything, our view/review of the Season changed.

Just a similar analogy:
1. if we will win a treble in this year, the history will say in 5-10 years:
= this was a magic Season and everything was perfect
2. if we will lose a CL and even a League in the end, in a few years people will say:
= we had a good team, but it was the year before the elections, we didn't know who will win, the coach didn't know whether he will stay, Suarez just came, and the team didn't click properly yet etc

So, you see, BEFORE the final weeks of the Season, WE always more or less think that we can win a CL and La liga.
Ok, in some years we play slightly better/worse, but you get my point.

And then, when the Season is finished, the season and revisionism then get "a happy ending" or "it was an average Season with a lot of mistakes/injuries/problems/bad luck"-tags.

Another example, just look at Real now, we don't know whether they will win a CL:
They are good, but nothing special, right?
1. if they will win it, no one will remember in 5-10-20 years that they were just average. They will be hailed as the best team in the history of CL; the first one who won back to back titles
2. if they won't win it, then revisionism will say: It was just an average, not good Real squad in 2014-15' Season.
-- and they failed because they were just not good enough

So, you see, from 2015's perspective, saying that we knew that we will lose in 2013=isn't quite true.
We can say NOW that we were meh back then.
But that is NOT the way how we felt BEFORE semis.

Again, once more, just take a look at votes back then:
http://www.barcaforum.com/poll.php?pollid=574&do=showresults

2/3 of people thought that we will win against Bayern.

While for now it is 9:6 for a treble versus 2 trophies in this Season, according to today's poll (after the draw).
http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/12855-Which-trophies-will-Barca-win

So you see, back then people were more or less as equally convinced that we will go through as today, according to number of votes.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
It is revisionism. But you have to remember that the team was out of sorts against Bayern. Injured Messi, injured Mascherano, Bartra getting a baptism of fire, sick coach, etc.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Most people considered you as such until the semi opened their eyes.

The team gave off the aura because of Tito's unbeaten streak in the league and the show that Messi put on repeatedly week in, week out. After the remontada against AC Milan, we thought we were going to win it all, but then Messi got injured.

A lot of the teams flaws were hidden by the unbeaten streak in the league and Messi's form.

KingLeo10

it's all about perception. barca was still perceived as the best team in the world because of the historic 08-2012 years that preceded the tito era. the perception was further compounded amongst the general media because we managed to pull a 4-0 against an above average (at best) milan side. if one took a truly objective look at the 2012-2013 season, then it was apparent we were no where close to the best as we were regularly losing big games and struggling to get past the likes of PSG.

in many ways, the hype about the current bayern side is reminiscent of this. their domination during the 2012-2013 season under jupp has created the perception that bayern is largely unbeatable despite the thrashing they received from madrid last season. the current bayern team is undoubtedly very good but objectively speaking, barca is the best team in the world at the moment.

Home of Barca Fans