Victor Osimhen

Birdy

Osimhen wouldn't be too bad, but he seems like a headcase?

Osimen is the same type as Haaland
I'm not saying Barca need a striker like Haaland.
Barca need a striker that is quick, makes runs in behind, helps by pressing and is proven to be a high volume goalscorer.

Not some hipster pick. You've basically described Gabriel Jesus who Man City upgraded from and Arsenal have been rumored into looking for an upgrade as well.

Haaland is arch-hipster pick since 2019. So don't give me the 'hipster argument'...

We have to see which type fits here first..
And the Osimen/Haaland/Boniface types do not IMO

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Haaland is arch-hipster pick since 2019. So don't give me the 'hipster argument'...

We have to see which type fits here first..
And the Osimen/Haaland/Boniface types do not IMO

I'm fine with that argument if you believe so, but neither do strikers that can barely hit the 15 goals mark in a league season.

Birdy

I'm fine with that argument if you believe so, but neither do strikers that can barely hit the 15 goals mark in a league season.

Let's see how much Zirkzee will hit this season. If he hits 15-20 in the big team, and given that in Hansi's system not only the ST scores, but the Olmos and Raphinas also get 15-20 in the season,
then that's not a problem

mc_lovin

Pep changed his ways to accommodate him.
He has been changing a while before he came, but he changed even more drastically.

But, again: how much a success is he for City, when he scores lots against the Sunderlands and the Norwiches, but gets pocketed in all big games by likes of Rudiger, Militao, Skriniar ,etc?
They won their first CL with Haaland.

1 in 2 while also winning the League year after year and people like you complain about his overall play. It just seems like fishing for weaknesses in his game for the sake of it, which he surely has, but his upsides are overwhelmingly obvious. And Pep of all people agrees.

Birdy

They won their first CL with Haaland.

1 in 2 while also winning the League year after year and people like you complain about his overall play. It just seems like fishing for weaknesses in his game for the sake of it, which he surely has, but his upsides are overwhelmingly obvious. And Pep of all people agrees.

Yes, with Haaland being a nobody in the important games against MAdrid and Inter.
So did they win BECAUSE of Haaland, or merely WITH haaland happening to be there as well?

DonAK

Guys like Romario and Eto'o who you described as the ideal profiles were high volume goalscorers.

mc_lovin

Yes, with Haaland being a nobody in the important games against MAdrid and Inter.
So did they win BECAUSE of Haaland, or merely WITH haaland happening to be there as well?
With Haaland obviously, it's a team game after all - he played his part. But not despite him.

Birdy

Guys like Romario and Eto'o who you described as the ideal profiles were high volume goalscorers.

right,
in barca's prolific system that created a lot of chances, and had constantly the ball..

And these were contributing to that fluidity and circulation, they could also assist others

PS: OK, you get my point. I am highlighting the profile.
It might be hard in today's time to find someone with the individual quality of Romario.
Let's not at least NOT make profile mistakes

mc_lovin

right,
in barca's prolific system that created a lot of chances, and had constantly the ball..

And these were contributing to that fluidity and circulation, they could also assist others
What's your argument here? That we should look for a unicorn striker that doesn't exist right now?

I would defo pick the likes of Etoo, Suarez and even Villa above Haaland. But not (half) bums like Zirkzee.

ajnotkeith

Haaland being poor outside of goal threat is well remarked upon. But it doesn't matter. His movement and his finishing is such a big threat that he can succeed as a one trick pony.

He also isn't as bad as people claim with the ball. Not amazing but not awful either.

mc_lovin

Haaland being poor outside of goal threat is well remarked upon. But it doesn't matter. His movement and his finishing is such a big threat that he can succeed as a one trick pony.

He also isn't as bad as people claim with the ball. Not amazing but not awful either.
His first touch is pretty spectacular.

DonAK

Eto'o was the same age as Zirkzee when he scored 17 league goals for Mallorca in 32 games. For a team that finished 11th. He carried that team.

When Zirkzee gets to that level we can talk.

I agree with you about that type of profile being the ideal, but YOU NEED to prove you can score a lot of goals as well.

Otherwise you end up with Gabriel Jesus.

Birdy

Eto'o was the same age as Zirkzee when he scored 17 league goals for Mallorca in 32 games. For a team that finished 11th. He carried that team.

When Zirkzee gets to that level we can talk.

I agree with you about that type of profile being the ideal, but YOU NEED to prove you can score a lot of goals as well.

Otherwise you end up with Gabriel Jesus.

Don't get fixated with Zirkzee per se
I gave you also the name of Pedro, and bottom line I wanted to show the profile

Of course both Eto'o and Romario are levels above all the players you can find today

mc_lovin

Point is profile only matters if you can choose between worldclass options. We are still talking CF here and not more delicate positions (punting #10s/2nd strikers into midfield or on the wings as most obvious examples). The best there always translate well.

jamrock

he'll have 1 season left on his contract at the end of the season, if napoli wants to be reasonable, we should go for him, I would prefer Isak, but that's not happening.
Unless some unknown striker burse on the scene, he's the best option available.

or roque could prove he's that guy.

Home of Barca Fans