Vincent Kompany

Galning

Arguably cost them 5-6 goals in their two biggest games so far being vs Barcelona and Liverpool. He is a good defender but the English & Belgian press did a good job in hyping him to levels I have never seen before.

Jenks

Fans are too fickle. One bad game after an injury that everyone expected to keep him out today and he's suddenly useless...

Wouterinho

Maybe thats just a Belgian thing? Look at Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Kompany their 3 cbs
Don't really think Vermaelen has made that many errors, especially when you compare him with Mertesacker.
Vertonghen: never considered him as very error prone, but I do think that he would benefit from playing more as a CB to iron out some errors
Kompany: some terrible mistakes lately but I think he's had seasons where he was the best defender in the BPL and hardly made mistakes

And in general, I still wouldn't mind any of them at Barca

H

Haruko The Goon

He wasn't fully fit, got a bad knock night before and could have missed it. But was told to play.

3 mistakes, all goals were down to him, but unlucky.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Constantly makes mistakes that results in goals, just another example of an overrated Premiership player...If he were playing for Barcelona and had given up that many goals in big matches he'd be run out of town

I

instinct

10155579_10152071680493030_4897051271589365156_n.png

:VdB:

Maria

If pique did that he would be castigated and sold 99999999 times by fans

Pique had 3 world class seasons..Kompany had one and we have to read stuff like this:

Lol, the 'rushing out his defence', his forward instinct, is how and why Manchester City became English champion, and probably will be again this season. It's his key trade mark. Very contemporary.

Thank God for Zonal Marking though:

"Kompany’s mistakes aren’t as rare as many suggest. The only surprise about this error was that it was committed inside his own area – that’s the Belgian’s strong zone – he’s usually more vulnerable high up the pitch.

On his day Kompany is an excellent defender, but there haven’t been many of those days since City won the title two years ago, when the Belgian was the best centre-back in Europe. Kompany remains a fine player, but he’s committed almost every kind of defensive error in the last year or so – vulnerable to pace, capable of scoring crazy own goals, mistiming tackles, getting spun high up the pitch, jumping into tackles two-footed, losing his man at set-pieces, getting caught in possession. English football seems to have a blind spot to his failings, too: one newspaper column declared him the player of the season on the morning of this game, another gave him 8/10 for this display where, again, he was responsible for all three goals. Imagine the reaction had Demichelis cost City three goals in three different ways…"

Harlequin

Constantly makes mistakes that results in goals, just another example of an overrated Premiership player...If he were playing for Barcelona and had given up that many goals in big matches he'd be run out of town

I'm a City supporter so I watch him week in, week out.
He's had a poor season by his standards, however, I wouldn't call him overrated. Poor form does not = overrated. He's consistently been our best player (along with David, Yaya & Aguero) over the last 3 years and whenever he's absent our defence never looks the same.
Having said that he's certainly dropped a step on two years ago in our title winning year. I attribute that to poor stability alongside him as well as a string of niggly injuries.
Everyone makes mistakes, CBs/GKs just see them punished with goals and therefore the mistakes are more in the spotlight.
I agree entirely that if Pique were to make those sort of mistakes in a big match you'd all bash him. And for me that sums up the difference between supporters and fans. There's such a negative atmosphere on these forums these days. I sincerely hope you guys get a new president/board soon because I used to enjoy coming here to read the threads and now 1/4 of the posters are saying inane things like sell Iniesta after one poor game...
Anyway, Vinnie is our captain and a fantastic footballer. I wouldn't trade him for another CB in the world, mistakes or no.

Home of Barca Fans