Vincent Kompany

fcbdna

Banned
Kompany puts in amazing challenges and tackles that few can parallel but he also often stabs and is prone to positioning errors. He's on both ends of the scale as opposed to middle of the road, but for some reason people remember him for his good plays as opposed to his bad ones.

I find it hard to understand the whole "positioning" thing. As far as I am concerned, and from what I saw over the course of both games his positioning is amazing. His tackles on Messi where absolutely world class! It was almost as if he knew what Messi was going to try next, because he'd let the other guys go first and then as soon as Messi try's to make a move, he goes in for the interception. . . . Great anticipation from him. I give kudos to whom it is due. Has anyone ever stop to actually look at the quality of his defensive partner and whether the work load is too much for only him?

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
I find it hard to understand the whole "positioning" thing. As far as I am concerned, and from what I saw over the course of both games his positioning is amazing. His tackles on Messi where absolutely world class! It was almost as if he knew what Messi was going to try next, because he'd let the other guys go first and then as soon as Messi try's to make a move, he goes in for the interception. . . . Great anticipation from him. I give kudos to whom it is due. Has anyone ever stop to actually look at the quality of his defensive partner and whether the work load is too much for only him?

For the positioning, I mean stuff like him playing Messi onside at the Etihad when he won his penalty. And like I said, he did have a lot of tackles, but there was plenty of times when he was made to look silly. He completed 6 tackles last night, but also conceded 5 fouls. Messi and Iniesta danced past him as often as he completed one of his terrific tackles. He was good, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.

Maria

For the positioning, I mean stuff like him playing Messi onside at the Etihad when he won his penalty. And like I said, he did have a lot of tackles, but there was plenty of times when he was made to look silly. He completed 6 tackles last night, but also conceded 5 fouls. Messi and Iniesta danced past him as often as he completed one of his terrific tackles. He was good, don't get me wrong, but not nearly as amazing as everyone is making it out to be.

This..but people don't notice these sort of things unless their name is Mascherano.

Wouterinho

This..but people don't notice these sort of things unless their name is Mascherano.
It's been said like a million times on this forum, so that statement is just silly.

About his 6 tackles and 5 fouls: some of his fouls were just good interventions and not really a foul so don't focus on the statistics too much.
I do agree that his positioning is sometimes off, but besides that he's basically great at everything a defender needs to be great at.

L

linetty

He's a great defender, but he was eaten alive by Messi and Iniesta.

Neal Faradinho

Your reasons are so far fetched. . . It would be safe to say you don't own a TV set and didn't see the game last night, neither have you seen any of the games he has played. You say all you have said ,only to assassinate his character and "save space" for your fav defender. Emotions/sentiments precede over reasoning.

I saw the game, and yes his interceptions were brilliant, but we don't need another defender of his kind.

We need someone who is focused, doesn't rush out of the defence like that and can lead the defence.
Kompany has only got 1 of the three things that I mentioned.

Home of Barca Fans