Vincent Kompany

I

instinct

Makes one mistake and you guys crucify him. Can you name 5 CBs that are without a doubt better than him?

Demichelis, Lescott, Van Buyten, Friedrich and...Song :pep:

Just kidding, I agree with you. Maybe he sometimes makes mistakes but every defender makes them (think of Hummels against Real :facepalm: ) He is one of the best out there, that is for sure and it's not fair to judge him on a few mistakes.

Paganinisrvnge

Italian CBs :worthy:

Right now, though. Thiago Silva, maybe Chiellini/Barzagli.

Is it Barcaforum affecting me or are there not that many good CBs around? I think it's Barcaforum that's starting to make me believe that there are literally only like 3 good CBs in the world on big teams and 3 obscure good ones.

romelu

I saw the game, and yes his interceptions were brilliant, but we don't need another defender of his kind.

We need someone who is focused, doesn't rush out of the defence like that and can lead the defence.
Kompany has only got 1 of the three things that I mentioned.

Lol, the 'rushing out his defence', his forward instinct, is how and why Manchester City became English champion, and probably will be again this season. It's his key trade mark. Very contemporary.

zealot

Is it Barcaforum affecting me or are there not that many good CBs around?

No there are really not many worthy world class CBs nowadays. Majority have that tough tackling ability, but they are mostly frustratingly inept in tactics. Hence why defenders need extra protection from midfielders, or even forwards, thus the invention of now widely used 4-5-1 formation.

I believe 4-4-2 formation demand more from CBs and that's why its scarcely used today.

Theconomist

No there are really not many worthy world class CBs nowadays. Majority have that tough tackling ability, but they are mostly frustratingly inept in tactics. Hence why defenders need extra protection from midfielders, or even forwards, thus the invention of now widely used 4-5-1 formation.

I believe 4-4-2 formation demand more from CBs and that's why its scarcely used today.

Same could be said about attackers 2 seasons ago, there was Ibra,van persie,ronaldo and Messi. with Cavani and Falcao behind
look at how many there are now just 2 years later.

thing change very fast in football, there are many up and coming CBs who are very good.

Home of Barca Fans