Vinícius Júnior

El Gato

Villarato!
lie
edit: a okay. We also had Euro.
Bellingham turned up in every league big game
2 vs Girona
winner vs Barca
Didn't really play great in between is all even though team was clearly worse off when he wasnt around, same happens with England

Then assist in CL final, Copa vs Atleti where team was 1:2 down to take it to ET etc

Still less impactful day to day than Vini when spring considered fully

Horatio

You're welcome
It isn't, it's for the season gone
Hence the confusion where to allocate NT

Why is there confusion if I may ask?

I looked up and voters are asked to judge performances from august til july. Euros end basically 2 weeks into july. So then should be taken into account no?

Rory

Guess the other reason I don't get why Vinicius is seen as favourite is Bellingham was pretty impactful outside of g+a. Not only did he contribute in a similar way to Vinicius in attacking output, he was one of the best in the squad defensively too. Think that is being forgotten. Granted he's in a position to contribute in that way more than Vinicius, but then you'd say the same for Vinicius attacking-wise.

El Gato

Villarato!
Till July could mean end June is the cutoff depending how you define it
But most people may intuitively count NT anyway
In which case Bellingham gets some favour while Vini drops off a bit and it's more or less even between them
Still think Kroos was the MVP anyhow and is basically a toss up between him and Rodri depending on who wins NT tourney

Horatio

You're welcome
Till July could mean end June is the cutoff depending how you define it

I think July is supposed to be included. Otherwise one is asked to judge a player’s performance over whole year except 1 month. Don’t see how that would make sense.

I think the description just serves to point out when the timeframe starts (August and not start of year).

El Gato

Villarato!
Calma buddy
He's in the conversation, has as many or more CLs as any of the above mentioned
Give it time and he'll probably have more goals to his name in the comp than any of them before he even reaches 30

El Gato

Villarato!
I think July is supposed to be included. Otherwise one is asked to judge a player’s performance over whole year except 1 month. Don’t see how that would make sense.

I think the description just serves to point out when the timeframe starts (August and not start of year).
Well you're not supposed to judge it over a whole year. It's not a calendar year award anymore so one would think July is just a vacation month you're meant to forget and 'until July' is carefully worded to include CL final and any league/domestic cup comps that nowadays spill over to early June
But again - I'm sure people will remember Euros/WCs for years to come when judging it no matter how you spin it

MontenegrinCuler

Calma buddy
He's in the conversation, has as many or more CLs as any of the above mentioned
Give it time and he'll probably have more goals to his name in the comp than any of them before he even reaches 30
He'll also probably retire with zero decent performances for his national team in his career. Even in a shithole that Brazil is right now a ballon d'or winner should do better than him. Stinker after stinker in every competition yet he keeps starting.

UCL is not the only competition in football. Players who are exceptional in just 1 team and just 1 competition should not be in convo with all time greats. There's a ton of ballers who are world class for their representation but average in club football, and they are usually not that lifted up - rightfully so.

El Gato

Villarato!
He'll also probably retire with zero decent performances for his national team in his career. Even in a shithole that Brazil is right now a ballon d'or winner should do better than him. Stinker after stinker in every competition yet he keeps starting.

UCL is not the only competition in football. Players who are exceptional in just 1 team and just 1 competition should not be in convo with all time greats. There's a ton of ballers who are world class for their representation but average in club football, and they are usually not that lifted up - rightfully so.
Calma calma
Has already played well for Brazil at times, may or may not find his spot when they figure out what forward line they want to use

UCL is by some distance the most important competition in club football

Plenty players who havent achieved much outside one team
Nedved did most of his work at Juve, bar that title with Lazio not much there to see in the club game
Owen didnt win a single league title until he came off the bench aged 32
Shevchenko been woeful at Chelsea, even if that CL semi he helped get Kyiv to was impressive
Dinho rode Ronaldo and Rivaldo's luck to trophies with Brazil, bro didnt even start a single Copa America game in his entire career

Vini already is one of the best Brazillian forwards to play in Europe since the 90s
Give it another few years and see where we are then

Last edited:

Windhook

It's clear the CL trophy brings majority of the points. Whoever between Jude and Vini is, it's well deserved.

It's not Vinicius' fault Brazil are failing. He's just the scapegoat as their biggest star. Messi went through the same phase. Brazil's problem lies within the staff area - coaching is problematic.

Horatio

You're welcome
I am fairly sure Brazil doesn’t have a scapegoat amongst its players. Brazil football fans somehow seem very placid and seem to have accepted they’ll never go back to heights of past or produce the players.
I think that is what 7-1 loss does with you I guess. The priority becomes simply not to relive that pain instead of achieving great successes.

But I have never read any heavy criticism towards vini regarding his football in the media. He’s pretty protected in that regard somehow

Anyway, yes Brazil team has issues. But even Rodrygo seems to outperform him. Do feel he could be doing more.

So actually it is not similar to Messi. Messi’s performances with Argentina have been held against him for a long time, even when putting in 10x the numbers vini does.

Somehow with Vini people are reluctant to bring up the NT side of things. It’s fine, but a bit strange imo.

Still, no issue with him winning Balon d’Or.

Home of Barca Fans