Virgil van Dijk

serghei

Ramos was unimportant for Spain's WC and Euro wins. He was a main man in 2014 WC with Pique as the team leaders and they went out in groups after getting stuffed by the Dutch.

El Gato

Villarato!
VVD looks way more reliable than Ramos. Willing to bet you ask most CD if they would rather be paired with Ramos or VVD and they would pick latter.

Not really clear. Defenders who like somebody doing their job for them may prefer VVD. Likes of Ferdinand I'm 100% sure would rather play with Ramos on temperament alone.

VVD is basically what Varane was supposed to be after he turned 26 - a prototypical athletic CB who can also be a presence in opposing box and makes team around him better when you're pressing, but remains suspect when left to own devices at time when it matters.

Way he got clowned in 17/18 Vs City in QF return leg on that first Jesus goal is something he never lost and something that comes back on the regular

Temptation

One of the worst finals of the last 20 years though.

Tbf it doesn't matter much. CL finals are boring anyways. Very few finals are entertaining.

18/19 CL was one of the most interesting and unreal tournaments. The drama before the finals was immense.

Horatio

You're welcome
Not really clear. Defenders who like somebody doing their job for them may prefer VVD. Likes of Ferdinand I'm 100% sure would rather play with Ramos on temperament alone.

But then we agree actually. I said most CB's as to leave room for the few that have personal preference for Ramos. And you said VVD would be picked by those who like somebody doing their job. Their job is defending. Pretty sure most prefer the CB better at performing defensive tasks. So yeah, we agree. Majority would pick VVD.

El Gato

Villarato!
No their job isn't only defending in many teams and setups. Depends what and how much you ask a given CB to do.

I don't dispute most CBs in the world are simpletons who can't kick a ball straight. Those defenders will probably prefer a better defensive partner as priority. As you scale this up you get players who are more all around and often prefer a partner who would match their strengths or conversely cancel out their flaws.

Rio picked Ramos and Maldini in his all time CL 11 just two months ago

Horatio

You're welcome
Rio picked Ramos and Maldini in his all time CL 11 just two months ago

Yes? Ramos will be picked by some yes never argue that. I still contend however that most defenders would pick VVD simply because most defensive statistics would be in his favour and seems to be way more cool-headed.

I just found this stat regarding VVD but feel it is a bit misleading:

https://www.premierleague.com/players/5140/Virgil-van-Dijk/stats

It says only 3 goals conceded because of an error on his part in all premier league appearances. Is that really the case?
Feel like they only look at 'direct" errors. Got to be more than just 3.

El Gato

Villarato!
VVD is a much better passer of the ball than Ramos. Also used to score Free Kicks for Celtic.

More nonsense from someone who barely watched Ramos play, goes off tropes he's more famous for things other than defending and stumbles into more BS

Completion rate % per 90 mins over career for VVD and Ramos - 90.7 to 91.3
93.5 to 93.9 for short passes
95.1 to 94.7 medium
79.6 to 83.8
Fewer assists, fewer key passes, fewer passes into final third, fewer progressive passes, fewer passes into the box

Ramos played RB for 7 years before he even started playing CB and was arguably Spain's best wide player in 2010 World Cup

Zidane82

More nonsense from someone who barely watched Ramos play, goes off tropes he's more famous for things other than defending and stumbles into more BS

Completion rate % per 90 mins over career for VVD and Ramos - 90.7 to 91.3
93.5 to 93.9 for short passes
95.1 to 94.7 medium
79.6 to 83.8
Fewer assists, fewer key passes, fewer passes into final third, fewer progressive passes, fewer passes into the box

Ramos played RB for 7 years before he even started playing CB and was arguably Spain's best wide player in 2010 World Cup

VVD and Ramos are /were BOTH fabulous players

Temptation

VVD attempts more high risk passes. Assists .... Ramos played with a certain CR7, the biggest aerial threat and arguably the GOAT lol.

Temptation

Pass completions into the box....hmmm well 3 physically imposing Forwards Ronaldo Benzema Bale vs 2 short players Salah Mane and a false 9 Bobby

Literally most of Ramos' benefits come from being in a stacked team with all time greats. That's why when he was asked to be the main guy in 2014 WC, his "elite mentality" crumbled. :lol:

Home of Barca Fans