Virgil van Dijk

Temptation

Explain your reasons as to why VVD is better than Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Ramos, Puyol, Pique not sure if I’ve missed any but they will do for now.

Simply because he's a superior Footballer. All of those Centre Backs you mentioned have certain flaws in their game. VVD has none. Built like a brick walk, fast like a jet, brilliant at defending and organizing, dominant in the air, pings 60 yarders around like he's Pirlo, hardly does fouls or gets booked, amazing positioning and awareness(youngsters should learn how he defends tactically) and a lot more.

Now coming to the influence, he has on the team, it's more than any of the names you mentioned. Take him out of our team and we have to slog it out for a top 4 spot. Terry had Carvalho, Puyol had Pique, Vidic had Ferdinand, Ramos had Varane but VVD just makes everyone around him look so much better, whether it's Matip, Gomez or Lovren.

In such an attack dominated game, this guy finished 6 points off a Balon d or vote(which is always heavily biased towards a certain guy). VVD reached a higher peak than all those defenders.
I don't rate players just based on team trophies maybe you can say a Ramos had a better career, won more but if I have to pick a CB for a season I know who I am picking. Is Sergio Ramos a more decorated Footballer? Yes. Is Sergio Ramos a better defender? Fuck NO. Most of the Ramos hype is for headed goals and dirty tricks on the opponents than actual pure defending. Chiellini and T. Silva are better at defending than Ramos is.

Unfortunately, VVD is a pretty late bloomer. If he burst onto the scene earlier....just imagine his trophy legacy. Anyways, lucky to see him play for my beautiful club and he's still far from finished. We'll win more stuff.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

Simply because he's a superior Footballer. All of those Centre Backs you mentioned have certain flaws in their game. VVD has none. Built like a brick walk, fast like a jet, brilliant at defending and organizing, dominant in the air, pings 60 yarders around like he's Pirlo, hardly does fouls or gets booked, amazing positioning and awareness(youngsters should learn how he defends tactically) and a lot more.

"Pings 60 yarders around like he's Pirlo"

"Fast like a jet"

Spoken like a Virgboi :mou:

Temptation

"Pings 60 yarders around like he's Pirlo"

"Fast like a jet"

Spoken like a Virgboi :mou:

Tell me if I'm lying though?

Dude pings ridiculous diagonals for fun and if you can defend against Traore and Mbappe when they have half the length of the pitch to run into, you're no slouch.

Last edited:

iniestaGOAT

Now coming to the influence, he has on the team, it's more than any of the names you mentioned. Take him out of our team and we have to slog it out for a top 4 spot. Terry had Carvalho, Puyol had Pique, Vidic had Ferdinand, Ramos had Varane but VVD just makes everyone around him look so much better, whether it's Matip, Gomez or Lovren.

In such an attack dominated game, this guy finished 6 points off a Balon d or vote(which is always heavily biased towards a certain guy). VVD reached a higher peak than all those defenders.
I don't rate players just based on team trophies maybe you can say a Ramos had a better career, won more but if I have to pick a CB for a season I know who I am picking. Is Sergio Ramos a more decorated Footballer? Yes. Is Sergio Ramos a better defender? Fuck NO. Most of the Ramos hype is for headed goals and dirty tricks on the opponents than actual pure defending. Chiellini and T. Silva are better at defending than Ramos is.

Unfortunately, VVD is a pretty late bloomer. If he burst onto the scene earlier....just imagine his trophy legacy. Anyways, lucky to see him play for my beautiful club and he's still far from finished. We'll win more stuff.

More stuff? Lol you barely won one league and one ucl. That's all.

Done shit with national team, known for conceding 7 vs aston villa

Ramos is clear.

fergus90

John Terry is the best defender in PL history for me. His form from 2004-2010 in particular was immense.

Temptation

John Terry is the best defender in PL history for me. His form from 2004-2010 in particular was immense.

I agree in terms of his PL career. People forget the contribution of Carvalho in that pair too. Terry was in a fantastic defensive setup especially under Mourinho with Cole, Gallas, Carvalho while having Prime Cech behind him and the best destroyer ever Makalele shielding the defense. Terry was a brilliant Captain too.

I believe Virgil reached a higher peak than Terry though.

fergus90

I agree in terms of his PL career. People forget the contribution of Carvalho in that pair too. Terry was in a fantastic defensive setup especially under Mourinho with Cole, Gallas, Carvalho while having Prime Cech behind him and the best destroyer ever Makalele shielding the defense. Terry was a brilliant Captain too.

I believe Virgil reached a higher peak than Terry though.

Terry also made Gary Cahill a much better defender too though. They ended up having a fantastic partnership after Carvalho went to Real.

snowy

Get dat Orange Gouda, he got the mineralz!

Klopp's High-line would more exposed than a red-ass monkey without him

let's 'ave it right! Go Blues :lol:

El Gato

Villarato!
Fanboys always the worst read on any forum honestly.

Downright ridiculous take to call Virgil flawless
Flawed player like any other, just the risk-reward ratio much more in his favour and he's rock solid in smaller fixtures as should be
Dude undercommits and plays to contain too often for own good resulting in goals like those of Atletico at Anfield and made several big mistakes on big stage i.e. vs City, got mangled by Grealish in that 7-2, lost Bale on the bicycle kick etc

Great player who has to do more and be held to higher standard than those around him to be in conversation he's being put in

mc_lovin

People need to rewatch Silva's world cup performances. Some of the worst and downright stupid shit you will see any defender do. Was doing retarded stuff for PSG as well.

But to be fair, one of the very few guys who stepped up with age.

Home of Barca Fans