Vitor Roque (loaned to Real Betis)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Yeah, his ball control is quite clumsy and indeed concerning (easily dispossessed), looks like a lot of brawn and sheer power to drive forward using his body (which is needed) but not enough brain, to me. Only judging from the clip above.

Andresito

Staff member
Reminder that Gabriel Jesus also went to Europe in January. He scored 7 goals and had 5 assists in 11 games for City that season.

Porque

Second top scorer in Brasil League for Paranaense. Stick the lad in a team like Flamengo or Palmeiras and he would be flying.

khaled_a_d

I think Gabriel Jesus was better than him at that age, and I'm actually not so hyped by his transfer. I hope he turns out well though.
Jesus scored 7 goals in 37 games in the season he played at age of 18 (2 months older than Roque ) while playing gor a better side.

Roque is on 15 goals in 29 games so far.

Player development isn't linear and isn't the same for everyone, but Roque was clear better player at that age.

khaled_a_d

Above is a list from ESPN for the top 10 strikers in the world:
1- Halaand
2- Benzema
3- Kane
4- Osmihan
5- Lewandowski
6- G. Jesus
7- Kolo Muani
8- Isak
9-Vlahovic
10- Jonathan David

I don't know about you, but this is a very underwhelming list tbh. Especially outside of top 5.
Other than the 34+ player, any of those will cost 70M at least in transfer fee. Some out of top 10 like Nunez cost an arm and leg for their club.
That 70M will be even more within couple of years.

People have expectations for Roque to be a success here, but truth is he will be a bargain if he cracks that top 10 list within next 4 years.
Half of the price, low in wage with long contract while providing a back up role in early stage.
No need to expect an Eto or Suarez as bench mark just to be disappointed

Home of Barca Fans