Wayne Rooney

coolasif

I just love stoke city.They always put up huge fight against Man U and Arsenal in their Home matches. I wonder is this the only club in top flight with all the players above 6 feet.This is what we call a massive club :D

coolasif

They are in top flight for a while now and their prospect of reaching Europa league looks great so far this season.

Footiefan

I just love stoke city.They always put up huge fight against Man U and Arsenal in their Home matches. I wonder is this the only club in top flight with all the players above 6 feet.This is what we call a massive club :D

Stoke City got their first point agaisnt us yesterday ;)

Yeah they make life difficult for any team at home. Tall, hard tackling, Thrown in and set piece dependent bastards.

Still Pulis is a hero for building such a team.

W

Worms

1) As said Rooney is often sacrificed for the team or for other players to flourish (Ronaldo), see United Barcelona game in Rome, Rooney was played as a left winger in that game and was all that season and the season before that and still did a WC job scoring 20+ goals in both, because he was played out of position should we judge him as Rooney playing in his best position or just say respect for doing a job for his team? It’s like judging Messi as a wing-back if he played there, would it be fair to judge Messi at his best in that position? Course it wouldn’t, many players would have a strop if they don’t play in their best position, Rooney doesn’t, that’s one of his main quality’s, the season after Ronaldo left, Rooney played as a main centre forward (never saw the best of his quality’s playing in that position) but he scored 34 goals in three quarters of a season, he can do everything.

2) Dude why are you bringing Messi into this? Both are different players, it’s like comparing Van Basten to Zidane, Messi is unique in what he does and for that reason will always stand out more than Rooney, but don’t even say Messi is an allround better footballer than Rooney, has more quality’s than Rooney on a football pitch and can play in more positions than Rooney because who are you kidding?

3) As said often played out of position, he can though as a proper centre forward and as ability to do so playing as 2nd striker (which probably will this season) and can score 20+ playing out wide along with say 15 assists, is that not a WC return for someone who’s not a wide player?

4) Again who are you kidding, Messi himself talks about Rooney as much as anyone, Pep/Xavi/Jose/Tevez (saying he’s the best he’s played with and he’s played with Messi), list goes on and on – Actually I would go as far to say England don’t truly appreciate how good Rooney is more than the rest of the world do, was the same with Paul Scholes, in this country we appreciate fat Frank/Scotty Parker type players more and then people wonder why we fail.

For the record, Messi is the best player in the world (Ronaldo closey behind him) – Whilst sometimes Messi isn't always in the game for large parts, what he does on a football pitch is unique and it’s those quality’s which make him standout just as the Maradona’s and Best’s before him, what I don’t like about the Messi hype train is when people say he’s the best player in history – Lets’ have it right, he’s 23 years old, currently plays at a club who are the best in the world (maybe history), a club where I could score 20 goals for since he has the best central midfield pairing behind him (Iniesta and Xavi), let’s see him do it for his country first or another club where he doesn’t have these players behind him and let’s have it right, up to now he’s failed with it – That’s often my doubt with Messi, could he play for any club/league in the world and still be the same Messi? Answer is no, stick Rooney in an England/Peterbrough/Real Madrid or Inter shirt and he would still be the same Rooney, you would be confident with that.

Anyway at the moment comparing Messi to Rooney reminds me of the film Troy and Hector and Archillas, both Hector and Archillias are 2 of the best warriors in the world, yet Hector’s battle hardened/self taught skills are no match for Archillas god given skills and in Rooney’s/Messi’s case noone is saying there is.

What I and a lot of people say though is Rooney’s the best allround player in the world, it’s not even debatable because that’s what he is.

View attachment 3780

Last edited:
B

barcelonista

I liked the part where he said "stick Rooney in an England shirt and he will be the same Rooney". The same Rooney who failed to qualify for the Euro Cup 2008 that is. :lol:

W

Worms

I liked the part where he said "stick Rooney in an England shirt and he will be the same Rooney". The same Rooney who failed to qualify for the Euro Cup 2008 that is. :lol:

The same Rooney who was literally the worst player at the WC,he couldn't even control the ball :lol:

W

Worms

That's what gets me. They used the world cup to beat Messi over the head with but conveniently forget Rooney and Ronaldo had poor campaigns to

Messi weren't even bad though,if it weren't Messi people would have said he had a good WC.

dalitis8

Banned
Messi was not bad at all in the WC. It wasn't great for his standards, but he was definitely good.

The fact that he did not score provides a lot of ammunition to his detractors though.

LaMessiah

The fact that he did not score provides a lot of ammunition to his detractors though.
this is what it comes down to. he scores so much and so often for barca people expect it from him with argentina w/o realizing he was the only creative influence on that team, basically xavi and iniesta rolled together for argentina, which he can do but his goal scoring will not be as prolific

Barcafan 2304

Exactly. Messi still contirbuted in other ways but the fact he did not score brought all the haters out the woodwork and they directed all their bile at Messi, despite the aforementioned other 2 players not exactly setting the tournament alight either

B

barcelonista

Messi had a good World Cup. Del Bosque quote:

“Apart from our own [players] I preferred Messi. Each game he played he made 20 chances to score, he is a phenomenon. We would have liked it to have been one of us. But Messi deserves the Golden Ball more than Forlan.”

His performances for Argentina stand out a lot more than they do for Barcelona. In Barcelona he must not always do all the work on his own. Argentina though is only carried by him and therefore his performances stand out a lot more than they do for Barcelona. I mean look at the last game he played for Argentina.

Didn't score but his overall performance was unreal, better than against Atletico Madrid last week by a country mile (including a Maradona run starting @ 2:25, which sets up Di Maria's tap-in goal). He scored a hattrick against Atletico but just didn't play better. Hard to explain that to people who don't watch the games and only judge by goal statistics.

0:30 - creating a big chance for Higuain with a nice throughball
1:52 - SUPERB once touch assist
2:25 - Maradona run, setting up another goal
4:40 - a pass Xavi would be proud of
5:23 - another wonderful pass, Di Maria brainlessly shoots the ball into no man's land

His dribbling and passing and general overall play reminds me so much of Maradona, it's just unreal.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans