Wojciech Szczęsny

khaled_a_d

Barca invested a lot of money in both Cillessen and Neto. I believe both are in the top 10-15 biggest GK transfers of all time. But didn't work out as expected.

Both fairly reliable backups, one has to be fair.

-Back when they were signed? Yeah. Same with Bravo & Stegen. Now, none of them cracks top 25.

I am not sure though how they didn't work as expected. Jasper was one of the best backup GK, and we have rarely missed Ter Stegen when Jasper played. He kept MATS in check and he felt the competition fairly well and played his best years back then.

Neto was also a very solid backup, for some reason he wasn't really popular, and was a bit underrated because he didn't play well with his feet, but we never had to suffer while having him playing.
I would argue both worked out as exactly what was expected. A solid backup.

TheStig

Calling it now. Wojciech will sign for one season and performs so well and enjoys the club and city so much, he extends for another season.

The ideal situation would be that Szcz stays and we buy a younger talented GK while MATS fucks off back to Borussia but that would only happen at a serious club like Madrid or City. Here, Mats will return in the starting lineup when he's healthy and he will be even a lot worse than he was until the injury.

At least get Szcz now so we can have one terrorless season.

pers

I still don't see why he would come, unless we offer him an immense salary. And our financial condition won't permit that.

It looks like the same saga as the Nico one. It's the journos smoking each other's ass.
Just my speculation but his wife can have critical influence on his decision. His wife is singer and maybe she thinks being part of Barca universum can help her? Moreover he has house in Marbella and Lewandowski is his best friend. I don't know if he will join Barca but I can see why he ma decide to make such step.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Just my speculation but his wife can have critical influence on his decision. His wife is singer and maybe she thinks being part of Barca universum can help her? Moreover he has house in Marbella and Lewandowski is his best friend. I don't know if he will join Barca but I can see why he ma decide to make such step.
It's just been TWO days since Mats injury.

I just don't see how, in that small amount of time, a player can decide all of these, given that he gave up playing because he didn't have the drive and he also wanted to spend more time with his newborn.
He already has a house in Marbella as you said, so it's not like he needs to work there to live. He can always just go and live, especially if his intent was to spend time with his newborn.

I can give you this, that the guy might have wanted to move to Spain or atleast out of Turin, as you pointed out the reasons. Having a newborn, maybe accelerated his desire to give up and live the relaxed life. He's already famous enough that his wife wouldnt need the extra accolade for her to work. And they probably were planinng to move into spain or out of Poland/Turin soon.
And this was a once in bluemoon opportunity.

But I dont know, I still see this very sceptically. And think its mostly Journo making up stuff to sell.

khaled_a_d

I misremembered the numbers, thought it was us and not Valencia that paid 35m for Cillessen. Age's catching up with me, I'm obviously no forum Fati :(

Neto still 15th though.

Neto was a throw in, in a deal for Valancia to get Jasper. It was 9M + Neto for Cillessen.
Barca and Valancia just ballooned the deals for ffp.
But yeah, on paper Neto deal is still expensive

Messi983

Lumin has been pretty darn clutch for Real as well. Don’t think he ever blundered. At most 1 game.

I think PSG has 2 comparable ones. Donnarumma and Airola is pretty good.

edit: Owh he’s gone

Airola (lol, like this name) has played last official game for PSG 5 years ago. You need to update your software.

malvolio

I'm amazed about how quickly you lot are getting Stegen out the door and consider Szczesny this far better GK. Am I missing something? Granted I've never watched Juve over the past seasons since they were shite and mostly out of CL, but was he that good?

I mean who the fuck is a retired Szczesny to be held in such high regard around here? Or is it the same case of "everyone's better than Stegen"?

malvolio

Yeah, but Madrid has a 10 keeper and a 6-7 keeper. Even if Lunin is good, Courtois is elite, the gape is consistent.

Barca has a 6 keeper and a 4 keeper. The difference is still still clear, albeit at a much lower level than Madrid's duo.
Lunin is 6-7 now and Stegen a 6. :lol:

Last time I've checked the 6 GK has won us a league while being best player in that league not long ago. The math doesn't work like that, but maybe that's on Xavi too?

pers

I'm amazed about how quickly you lot are getting Stegen out the door and consider Szczesny this far better GK. Am I missing something? Granted I've never watched Juve over the past seasons since they were shite and mostly out of CL, but was he that good?

I mean who the fuck is a retired Szczesny to be held in such high regard around here? Or is it the same case of "everyone's better than Stegen"?
I don't know if he is better but I watched both and I can say he is not worst and he has strong personality. Stats wise they seems similar. I think the point is with Szczęsny (or Ter Stegen) Barca still has chance to make something big in LL or CL and with other available keeper not so much.

Last season:

Ter Stegen:

73% Save Percentage

0.89 Conceded / 90’

54% Clean Sheets

Szczęsny:

73% Save Percentage

0.77 Conceded / 90’

43% Clean Sheets

malvolio

I don't know if he is better but I watched both and I can say he is not worst and he has strong personality. Stats wise they seems similar. I think the point is with Szczęsny (or Ter Stegen) Barca still has chance to make something big in LL or CL and with other available keeper not so much.

Ter Stegen:

73% Save Percentage

0.89 Conceded / 90’

54% Clean Sheets

Szczęsny:

73% Save Percentage

0.77 Conceded / 90’

43% Clean Sheets
What season are those stats are from?

My point isn't to discredit Szczesny or something, but he never was this outstanding GK. His career path basically confirms it.

malvolio

MATS is a solid 8 in La Liga and a 3-4 in CL. More mentality than quality imo.
Probably, but CL grade is hard to quantify when Barca always fall apart as a team in CL pressure games. The main point of contention for most is that he never bailed us out against the run of play or something like that. Even if probably in some of those games it wouldn't have mattered if he saved 1-2 goals as opposition scored more anyway.

Home of Barca Fans