Wojciech Szczęsny

pers

What season are those stats are from?

My point isn't to discredit Szczesny or something, but he never was this outstanding GK. His career path basically confirms it.
last season 22/23 - replacing Buffon in Juve shows he is good imo... I would say he is solid top tier keeper - not Barcelona profile tho.

draconifire

NTC with a Positive attitude
Probably, but CL grade is hard to quantify when Barca always fall apart as a team in CL pressure games. The main point of contention for most is that he never bailed us out against the run of play or something like that. Even if probably in some of those games it wouldn't have mattered if he saved 1-2 goals as opposition scored more anyway.
The Liverpool exit you can attribute it to Mats. But overall I agree with your point.

Messi983

Well, that's a point, since 2015 he never really did much to keep us in games. I don't think he was the main problem and I never hated him like lot of people here but he was clearly a big part of our CL struggles.

Also, I don't see much sense comparing Szczesny and Ter Stegen. That will be a better debate a year from now if he'll still be here actually competing with MATS.

He's clearly better than an injured MATS and what's really important a massive upgrade over Pena.

Don Juan Laporta Estruch

He is a very good goalkeeper and always has been. Arteta wanted him as backup to Raya this season, so he is still good to go.

The reason people are excited is because an opportunity like Sze shouldn't really be available. Effectively, our poor squad planning should have meant the end of our season here.

He is not world class, but he is world class for what is available to us right now.
It's a tremendous stroke of luck for Barca. A keeper as good as him would not normally have been retired and available, proved by the fact that the next best available option is a half dead Navas.

Co0ter

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel like the passing ability of keepers at Barca is overexaggerated. 90% of it is short range passes which most professionals can handle. I'd prefer a shot stopper who keeps the goals out and is strong in the air for free kicks and corners anyday.

Stegen has shown, especially 2 seasons ago in La Liga, that he can be a top keeper. He just hasn't consistently shown it and in the CL he hasn't come up big for us. People can say it wasn't his fault during the big losses (and it wasn't), but a huge save to keep it 0-0 early on instead of going behind can completely change the trajectory of a game. He just has never gave us that in the CL.

Look at the Madrid keepers in comparison. Some stand on your head performances in the CL which kept RM in it.

soul24rage

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I feel like the passing ability of keepers at Barca is overexaggerated. 90% of it is short range passes which most professionals can handle. I'd prefer a shot stopper who keeps the goals out and is strong in the air for free kicks and corners anyday.

Stegen has shown, especially 2 seasons ago in La Liga, that he can be a top keeper. He just hasn't consistently shown it and in the CL he hasn't come up big for us. People can say it wasn't his fault during the big losses (and it wasn't), but a huge save to keep it 0-0 early on instead of going behind can completely change the trajectory of a game. He just has never gave us that in the CL.

Look at the Madrid keepers in comparison. Some stand on your head performances in the CL which kept RM in it.
100% agreed.

jamrock

He is a very good goalkeeper and always has been. Arteta wanted him as backup to Raya this season, so he is still good to go.

The reason people are excited is because an opportunity like Sze shouldn't really be available. Effectively, our poor squad planning should have meant the end of our season here.

He is not world class, but he is world class for what is available to us right now.
It's a tremendous stroke of luck for Barca. A keeper as good as him would not normally have been retired and available, proved by the fact that the next best available option is a half dead Navas.

It's not luck, it's Devine intervention, through great squad planning.

Devils

Ter-Stegen is not good with the ball at his feet.

Stop this nonsense.

He makes so many errors with his passing, hardly any keeper costs their team as much with the ball at their feet.

Home of Barca Fans