World Cup 2018

Science Kid

Modric is not losing the Ballon D’or if he plays well and Croatia wins the World Cup. Best midfielder in the world with a Champions League title and a World Cup win? Being a key player for both?

Now whether Croatia wins is another matter.

malvolio

Griezman, Neymar, Modric? It will be the same as when Cannavaro won it. Just meh. It will be like giving the award just for the sake of it.

Based on the same logic, even Suarez should be considered if they win it.
Or maybe Spain and they give it to Iniesta as a career award. I think it is more deserved.

Science Kid

Griezman, Neymar, Modric? It will be the same as when Cannavaro won it. Just meh. It will be like giving the award just for the sake of it.

Based on the same logic, even Suarez should be considered if they win it.
Or maybe Spain and they give it to Iniesta as a career award. I think it is more deserved.

Modric has been at worst, Madrid’s second best player in the last five years in which they won 4 CL. He’s by far Croatia’s best player. When such a player wins the CL and the World Cup in the same year while being irreplaceable in both teams, yes, he deserves to win the Ballon.

We saw today how usefull Messi and Ronaldo are when their teams have poor midfield. They’ve benefited tremendously in the last ten years by playing with fantastic midfielders and reaped all the rewards as if they play by themselves. Its about damn time a midfielder and especially one as good as Modric gets rewarded for what he does on the field.

Also Iniesta should have won in 2010, but again he didn’t have the goals and that’s all Ballon Dor has turned into.

West Saxon

Gutted for Leo. Argentina are a diabolical team. Messi is the only one in that dysfunctional team who ever looked likely to do anything. His pass for Aguero's goal was delicious. How idiots think he "doesn't turn up" for Argentina is beyond me. It was his superhuman effort that got this terrible team to the World Cup in the first place; without him they would never have even been near qualifying. But even Messi can only take a group of players so far.

I'm not convinced France are particularly great, either. They are winning games by moments of individual quality (and because Argentina's defence was so open) rather than because of a team plan. That's okay to a point, but they could well be in trouble when they meet a determined team with a proper game plan (they even struggled against Australia, whose best player plays for Huddersfield), which they will do against Uruguay. Uruguay will give Mbappe nowhere near the space Argentina gave him. I can't see France carving Uruguay open at all, so what are France gonna do then? Big questions for them to answer.

Very pleased Portugal are out, for obvious reasons! :messi:

Blaugranaa

It was funny to compare the behaviour from Ronaldo and Messi when there was little time left. Messi wanted the ball at his feet to create a pass or do a little raid on his own. Nearly succeeded at one point but the shot from the right foot was too weak. Instead he made the assist to Aguero but unfortunately it was too late to maybe get another clear chance. This of course was how Messi tried to play the whole game (if not the whole WC?). His attitude was not like Mascherano's but his play with the ball had the same eagerness. Then we have Ronaldo. All game (and all WC? didn't watch him against Morocco) he was lurking around in or near the box. If he got the ball in the middle of the pitch he was just another station for the train to stop at before moving to the final station (himself in a better position). His job is not to create something magical. He got team mates like Bernado Silva to do that stuff. But with little time remaining Ronaldo started to pull out of the penalty box to get the ball more. This was a logical decision because all the crosses hadn't hit him once. But when he recieved the ball all he could do was a couple of anticipated step-overs and some long shots. The shots were way off target. He doesn't have the vision to see his team mates. He doesn't have the skill to do a 1-2 pass with a team mate to bring him in a better position. At Real Madrid this guy has a whole team to do all the creative work. Portugal have good players too but not the same class as Real madrid. We saw yesterday what the meant for a player like Ronaldo. He is very dependent on his team mates. But both showed great character and part of me is very happy that none of them scored in the knock-out stages. We all now they are still two of the greatest ever. So all experts should immediately stop comparing when or how they scored. Look how they are playing on the field. Goals are important, but they don't necessarily tell you who is the best player.

RMU ReBorn

Favorite goal's from Russia 2018

1) Cavani's second goal vs Portugal
2) Quaresma's goal vs Iran
3) Pavad vs Argentina
4) Luka Modric vs Argentina
5) Messi vs Nigeria

Modric and Messi goals so much of technical ability . Delight to watch . Messi's first touch and Luka's turn :thumbsup:

RMU ReBorn

Cavani's goal is undoubtedly a masterpiece . Hall of fame golazo . Reminds me of Del piero's finish vs Germany ,but that was much easy to execute

RMU ReBorn

Modric has been at worst, Madrid’s second best player in the last five years in which they won 4 CL. He’s by far Croatia’s best player. When such a player wins the CL and the World Cup in the same year while being irreplaceable in both teams, yes, he deserves to win the Ballon.

We saw today how usefull Messi and Ronaldo are when their teams have poor midfield. They’ve benefited tremendously in the last ten years by playing with fantastic midfielders and reaped all the rewards as if they play by themselves. Its about damn time a midfielder and especially one as good as Modric gets rewarded for what he does on the field.

Also Iniesta should have won in 2010, but again he didn’t have the goals and that’s all Ballon Dor has turned into.

Xavi was better than Iniesta in 2010 .

RMU ReBorn

Ballon d'or shouldn't go to either of Messi/Ronaldo, its time for a new winner. France - Griezmann, Brazil - Neymar, Croatia - Modric. i hate Madrid as much as the next cule but i seriously wouldn't be against Modric winning it, it would be great to see a midfielder appreciated

also, Portugal are a much better team than this Argentina, no debate.
Wtf Griezmann for what ? :lol: . Modric all the way . Xavi and Iniesta won world cup and Euro . Xavi was voted as the best player in Euro 2008 and Don won Uefa player of the season in 2012 . High time that Luka wins something which he deserves it more than any central midfielder for past 5 years .

RMU ReBorn

where is Jamdav1987 at? your boy Ronaldo was shit again. I would expect you to bash him like you bash Messi or GTFO to Madrid forums.
Way he tries to put Ronaldo above Modric as the most influential Madrid player is nothing but hilarious . Such a delight to see Penaldo and his clowns getting humiliated .

Ritchie

Modric is not losing the Ballon D’or if he plays well and Croatia wins the World Cup. Best midfielder in the world with a Champions League title and a World Cup win? Being a key player for both?

Now whether Croatia wins is another matter.

If Croatia win it will go to Modric but a real long shot seeing as they've never reached a final.

If Brazil win then Coutinho/Neymar have a slight chance but neither have done much for club (Coutinho was cup tied for CL and Neymar injured most of the year). If Coutinho had stayed at Liverpool and won the CL, or at least the final, he'd have a better chance.

If France win it then Griezmann or Mbappe have a chance, particularly if either Zidane 98 the final.

If England win it then Harry Kane has a chance.

If Spain win it then I can't see one player making the decisive contribution, Costa isn't winning a ballon d'or for example. Possibly Iniesta and that'd be more as recognition for his career. He still didn't win it in 2010 despite scoring the winner in the final.

So it depends which team does win it. Ronaldo still likely.

I think Messi has won his last Ballon D'or anyway unless Barca win a CL the next couple of seasons. I think this year will be Ronaldo's last Ballon D'or unless Real win CL again next season.

Last edited:

vlad

if modric as a main croatian player plays WC final

then he will be best midfielder ever

considering quality of that croatian squad who is far from favorites

serghei

if modric as a main croatian player plays WC final

then he will be best midfielder ever

considering quality of that croatian squad who is far from favorites

:lol:

Modric is great, but Xavi is a level above and always will be.

Home of Barca Fans