World Cup 2022

Birdy

For Birdy, for Argentina to be worth, they should play and beat every single team in a knockout tournament, or it's an easy path. These standards of course don't apply for any other team. I wonder why? Could it be the anti-Messi bias, the deep desire that they would be better without him? (every single knowledgeable person knows this to be wrong)

Not really.
Had they beaten Brazil in a semi and one of Portugal/Germany/England before, I would say they deserve it

Right now they have beaten Mexico, Poland, Australia, Croatia, which are not among the best 10 teams of the tournament IMO,
and have struggled against Netherlands who are certainly not among the best 5 of the tournament

All the rest is ad-honimem
90% of the people here are the definition of delusional when it comes to Messi, and not only are blind to his flaws, but blow things out of proportion
They have deemed this Argentina side, which is meh at best, as one of the best WC sides

eaman

It was more of an obstruction penalty really. He stuck is leg out after the ball went over his head to block alvarez getting past him. So it was a pen

eaman

Not really.
Had they beaten Brazil in a semi and one of Portugal/Germany/England before, I would say they deserve it

Right now they have beaten Mexico, Poland, Australia, Croatia, which are not among the best 10 teams of the tournament IMO,
and have struggled against Netherlands who are certainly not among the best 5 of the tournament

90% of the people here are the definition of delusional when it comes to Messi, and not only are blind to his flaws, but blow things out of proportion
They have deemed this Argentina side, which is meh at best, as one of the best WC sides

They were the better team against the Netherlands and just messed up near the end. Dominated extra time with play and chances. And Croatia are close or on par with Germany and Portugal as a team at the moment

Birdy

It was more of an obstruction penalty really. He stuck is leg out after the ball went over his head to block alvarez getting past him. So it was a pen

he sticks his leg out the same time he tries to grab the ball with his hands.
Look at the vid Horatio posted above

After the moment he missed the ball (T2), he doesn't make any move to obstruct Alvarez.
He is almost still
Alvarez bumps into him

Daisymorr

Delighted Messi and Argentina are back in the Final, a chance for Messi to fulfil the ultimate dream.

My take on the game:
1: No way was that a penalty
2: Messi was unreal yet again when he got the ball
3: Argentina are a real Team that will fight with all the have.
4: Alvarez has the speed to get in behind the defence which can open up space in front of defence for Messi and co.
5: Croatia had run out of legs, making it easier for Argentina.

If France get to the Final, I would still make them the favourites even though I will cheer for Argentina. I think Messi will need to have a masterclass game for Argentina to beat France.. Which we all know is not out of the question.

Kul_z

No one is saying GK has to move or could have even avoided it other than not coming out.

By that logic, that neuer thing against higuain in wc 2014 final should have been for jail. If livakovic did that it would be a straight red card, penalty, and at least one other croatian player booked for protesting. Never a fucking pen, like alvarez 'intentionally' wanted to bypass goalie with two players closing him down. Get fucking real.

Birdy

They were the better team against the Netherlands and just messed up near the end. Dominated extra time with play and chances. And Croatia are close or on par with Germany and Portugal as a team at the moment

Didn't object to that.
I just said they struggled against a side that isn't even close to Brazil France England Spain Germany Portugal level

Horatio

You're welcome
Not really.

So you are saying France does not deserve it either since they only faced England if they make the final.

JohnN

Not really.

Brazil lost to Croatia mate and they beat them in a final a season ago. Portugal and Spain lost to maroco, Japan...
Germany didn't even advance from groups but is somehow better than Croatia.
Using arbitrary teams as a benchmark screams of bias.
No one saying Argentina is one of the best in WC. That's the point of Messi greatness at 35 which you are missing.
You are the only person who thinks they would be better without him when they are a bang average side. Not only technical wise. They adore him and give their 120% every match. You just fail to realize this.

Windhook

Argentina are playing some of the best football alongside France and Brazil at this World Cup. Spain I thought as well in the first game, but after that they presented us with the Barca tiki-taka all the way...

eaman

he sticks his leg out the same time he tries to grab the ball with his hands.
Look at the vid Horatio posted above

After the moment he missed the ball (T2), he doesn't make any move to obstruct Alvarez.
He is almost still
Alvarez bumps into him

That close up video actually makes it look like he totally took him out. Looked less convincing on tv and that still looked a pen

Home of Barca Fans