World Cup 2022

malvolio

For Argentina, both Nico Gonzalez and Joaquin Correa are confirmed out.

Angel Correa and one other candidate will replace them.

Possibly Garnacho will be there.

Joaquin Correa was a certified choker anyway. But it's not good for Argentina that injuries are pilling up.

L3v1s

It seems that quite a few pundits/general public pick Argentina to win the World Cup and that doesn't sound too good as the favorites underperform a lot of times. It's as if it makes me feel superstitious about it that they won't have a good tournament. In 2014 they weren't the favorites, and perhaps that played better for them as they got to the final... Gotze's goal is still alive in my memories, in what is perhaps the saddest football memory for me. Even though I'll support them this tournament, like in the past, I'm not overly optimistic to be honest. There are 3-4 squads that are better than Argentina quality-wise, plus a lot can happen as the tournament drags on. This team doesn't have world class players in every position, even though they have that good record of matches unbeaten, plus a good team spirit. It's certainly a better team defensively than the one in 2018, where most of us didn't have big expectations from it. Most of the 2021 Copa America core is still here. If everything goes well and they get a good run of matches up until the semi-finals, anything is possible I guess.

If he will lift the trophy, it would be the perfect ending for a footballer that has given millions of people worldwide incredibile amounts of joy. What he has achieved already is something that nobody could have imagined 18 years ago. But even without this trophy, for me he has surpassed the likes of Pele and Maradona a few years ago. Having seen Messi evolve into so many different players along the years makes me feel more than privileged. From the lightning winger that would dribble past 5-6 players, to the incredible record-breaking goalscorer and the playmaker that he has become later in his career. He is truly a once in a lifetime player, but I guess that these words have been replicated dozens of times before.

Let's just hope.

El Gato

Villarato!
https://twitter.com/amjadt25/status/1593271354803032064?s=20&t=ci3QW1wvxvl3c2rf2HWQbA
Exclusive: Qatar bribed eight Ecuadorian players $7.4 million to lose the opener(1-0 ⚽️ 2nd half). Five Qatari and #Ecadour insiders confirmed this.We hope it's false. We hope sharing this will affect the outcome.The world should oppose FIFA corruption.
@MailSport
#WorldCup2022

No idea how legit this guy is, probably not very judging by his feed, but rumor mill leading up to this carcrash is great

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I doubt they are that stupid to try buying off opposition players. But refs should be monitored closely, we may see some mindfuck decisions in favour of Qatar

Messigician

https://twitter.com/amjadt25/status/1593271354803032064?s=20&t=ci3QW1wvxvl3c2rf2HWQbA
Exclusive: Qatar bribed eight Ecuadorian players $7.4 million to lose the opener(1-0 ⚽️ 2nd half). Five Qatari and #Ecadour insiders confirmed this.We hope it's false. We hope sharing this will affect the outcome.The world should oppose FIFA corruption.
@MailSport
#WorldCup2022

No idea how legit this guy is, probably not very judging by his feed, but rumor mill leading up to this carcrash is great

Late as usual old man

BBZ8800

What do you say, how high are the chances that the world cup won't end at all or that major scandals, problems, arrests, some teams pulling out during the tournament will happen?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/21/sports/soccer/rainbow-armbands-qatar-world-cup.html

FIFA and World Cup organizers came under pressure on Wednesday from a group of European soccer federations who said they planned to have their captains wear armbands with a rainbow heart design as part of an anti-discrimination campaign during international matches and at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

The group of European soccer federations, which includes the World Cup contenders England, Germany and France, joined forces on Wednesday in announcing their intention to have their captains wear the armbands, which feature a so-called One Love design that is similar in design — but not identical — to the well-known flag that serves as a symbol of LGBTQ pride.

Who knows what will happen during matches when someone from Qatar gets angry for this.
Or after matches.
Or when someone from Europe replies and disagrees.
Or when western media steps in.
Or when some fans get drunk, arrested and who knows what?

Things might escalate extremely quickly from 100s of reasons.

Andresito

Staff member
Can't have a WC in a conservative country with laws based on religion together with people from modern countries and modern laws without scandals.

It's either A) lots of scandals
or B) no people attending

BBZ8800

Can't have a WC in a conservative country with laws based on religion together with people from modern countries and modern laws without scandals.

It's either A) lots of scandals
or B) no people attending

Croatia played a friendly against Saudi two days ago and a match and the atmosphere were very weird.

1. extreme heat, it was very hard to play. I guess that European teams will suffer and Brazil and African teams will have a huge advantage due to a climate
2. fans: it was like watching a different sport. No women on stands, no singing, no fans, no swearing. As if you came to the opera or something. Everything was semi-empty and quiet
3. refereeing? wtf. Refs were horrible and quite hostile.
They would often raise the offside flag like 20 seconds too late after the incident.
Croatia scored 2 disallowed goals and the refs were quite aggressive towards Croatian players when they asked why the goals were disallowed.
Perisic's goals was disallowed, he went riot and start cursing towards the linesman and the linesman was arguing angrily with him, something which you'll never see in Europe.

I am not sure what will happen during matches after bad refereeing, if refs will be corrupted, if the players will swear (are you allowed to swear in Qatar? Are you allowed to make gestures towards officials and similar)?
Anyway, the general feeling during the match was very, very strange, nothing like watching matches on European fields every weekend.

Refs and a linesman vs Croatia, 3 goals:

Gnidrologist

What if some muslim countries team wears an ISIS armband in a match that goes on european soil? Probably nothing. Some naging here and there and that's it.

Home of Barca Fans