World Cup 2022

BBZ8800

What if some muslim countries team wears an ISIS armband in a match that goes on european soil? Probably nothing. Some naging here and there and that's it.

Let's see

1. we already have a huge animosity between West and East due to politics and religion
2. we have an ongoing Russia vs Ukraine war, where a huge reason of Putin's attack is his hate towards West, Western values, way of living (no religion, LGBT, democracy)
3. a large part of countries east from Russia are more or less siding with Russia/East in a war against Western hegemony, western type of living an their non-religious lifestyle
4. and then, Qatar is among the most traditional of those countries
5. then you have 17 countries from a Western Europe, Usa, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, who are extremely pro-West and their values

So, more than half of teams/players/coaches/staff/fans/journos are from the West.
Let's see when someone from the West makes some "mistake" and how things will escalate.

Personally, I think that we will see huge problems and scandals and I can easily see some teams like England, France, Germany, Denmark, Usa, Canada pulling out before the end of the tournament if problems/scandals escalate.

Gnidrologist

None of them will do anything as they are hypocrites and cowards + money involved. Reminder that women officials from swedish "feminist government" obediently wore hijab and sat in their dedicated woman sheds, when visiting Iran some time ago. Even though they weren't and wouldn't be coerced to do that.

Andresito

Staff member
Qatar have banned the sale of beer at stadiums according to NY Times. Beer will only be available in VIP lounges and some of the fan zones and hotels.

Wonder how FIFA will handle this with their pals Budweiser. A big payout perhaps?

Andresito

Staff member
Doesn't mean he has to support Germany.

Gaya also out for WC, very likely Balde will be called up.

Malonso coming :lucho:

Btw how do so many players manage to get injured after being called up? Nkunku, Kimpembe, Gaya, Nico Gonzalez, Correa and more.

BBZ8800

Nothing will happen. Players are ther to play not do some political stuff. And fans will have to adapt.

That sounds like: Russian players should play, this is only a sport.
You are usually apolitical (imo) so you are looking at it differently.

Let's see whether problems will occur.
I am putting my money on: yes.

Andresito

Staff member
That sounds like: Russian players should play, this is only a sport.
You are usually apolitical (imo) so you are looking at it differently.

Let's see whether problems will occur.
I am putting my money on: yes.

I also don't think anything dramatic will happen.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I don't doubt the possibility of monkey business going on with regard to Qatar getting awarded with hosting this WC and FIFA being corrupt etc., and the legitimate complaints and gripes that people have toward Qatar etc. Also, countries, federations and players etc. can promote whatever value they want to promote and speak out against whatever ill they see, but nobody, especially players should be pressured to protest, as Hugo Lloris has said. Players are there to play, for the most part, not to make a political statement. If someone wants to boycott it for whatever reason, so be it.

Whatever you do, just remember that aggressive, "in your face" style lecturing is not appreciated anywhere around the world, no matter what you are trying to preach.

Speaking of Qatari (or Arab, gulf state football in general), come on, of course fans behave similarly to fans anywhere else in the world. Not sure how they are administrating for this WC (perhaps there are new and more strict rules etc., I don't know) but let's not be ridiculous to think fans in the Middle East are completely different.

This was in the middle of COVID, not a lot of spectators but still you can see how fans were engaging with the game:

Home of Barca Fans