Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horatio

You're welcome
Let's not jump the gun just yet, we haven't seen Xavi in UCL or winning any major titles just yet.

I want to steer away though from using purely trophies as a system of metric. Xavi > Zidane. I am 100% sure. I don't care if he won a threepeat UCL.

ajnotkeith

I want to steer away though from using purely trophies as a system of metric. Xavi > Zidane. I am 100% sure. I don't care if he won a threepeat UCL.

It'll be interesting to see how good of a manager Xavi is in knockout games. Some managers are very skilled in it but not so good in the league and vice versa.

KingLeo10

Can't judge solely on trophies. The rosters Pep and ZZ had at their disposal are easy top 5 club sides of all time.

For me, a reference point for Xavi's achievements should be Jurgen Klopp or a Tuchel. If he gets us a CL and a LL in the next 2-3 years, it is an immense success already and he would be right up there with Pep for me Barca legacy wise (and far above Enrique who had another top 5 club side all time in 14-15 :lol: ). Context matters.

Windhook

@KingLeo10

I was thinking the same. Guys like Xavi and Tuchel restore the dignity of the coaching work. Last night Xavi achieved a monumental result with a squad considered mediocre just a few months back against a legendary manager and experienced winner mentality squad at Real Madrid.

No idea where this will lead Barca, but I enjoy watching every game now. The hard work really shows up on the pitch. I tear up watching the locker room celebrations from last night (starts at 08:12 in the video), it's more than well deserved.

Horatio

You're welcome
@KingLeo10

I was thinking the same. Guys like Xavi and Tuchel restore the dignity of the coaching work. Last night Xavi achieved a monumental result with a squad considered mediocre just a few months back against a legendary manager and experienced winner mentality squad at Real Madrid.

No idea where this will lead Barca, but I enjoy watching every game now. The hard work really shows up on the pitch. I tear up watching the locker room celebrations from last night (starts at 08:12 in the video), it's more than well deserved.

Oh god...the girl's horrendously forced US accent is horrible. Also Puig side-by-side with Mingueza losers club.

BerkeleyBernie

One thing I like about him, is that we are a bit turning into bullies.
Like those fouls early in the game during RM counters, the whole team isn't playing it cute anymore.

This isn't really that new. Under Pep's Barca, "tactical" fouls to stop counterattacks were common. I once did an analysis and was a bit surprised to see Barca weren't the "play beautiful football" choirboys we thought. Barca committed way less fouls than their opponents BUT when you take time out of possession into account (fouls-per-minute without the ball, when most fouls are committed), they made as many fouls as anybody else (maybe even more, I don't recall at this point). Foul an opponent on the edge of their box = no counterattack and rarely carded.

Devils

Aside from the football, it's stunning how fit our team looked. Out running and out pressing the opposition even after we had just returned from Turkey a few days ago.

Incredible fitness regimen under Xavi

serghei

This isn't really that new. Under Pep's Barca, "tactical" fouls to stop counterattacks were common. I once did an analysis and was a bit surprised to see Barca weren't the "play beautiful football" choirboys we thought. Barca committed way less fouls than their opponents BUT when you take time out of possession into account (fouls-per-minute without the ball, when most fouls are committed), they made as many fouls as anybody else (maybe even more, I don't recall at this point). Foul an opponent on the edge of their box = no counterattack and rarely carded.

Spot on. Probably the most bullshit paraded around Pep's Barca is that they were soft.

Horatio

You're welcome
Aside from the football, it's stunning how fit our team looked. Out running and out pressing the opposition even after we had just returned from Turkey a few days ago.

Incredible fitness regimen under Xavi

Pretty sure it started with Koeman. No way you fix condition like that in such a short period of time.

Improvement of pressing also started under Koeman but team still not in condition to hold out 90 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans