Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porque

I don't think the difference between these player lay primarily in their facial expression though :)
What to be said about Dembeles facial expression... Xavi loves him!

Well in regards to Dembele, like a Dear in headlights, you know it is going to run it's ass off.

FinBarcelonafan

Bizarre line.

What players is he referring to and why cant they run as much as he wants.

Some of the stuff he is coming out with other coaches get scolded for.

I like Xavi and what has done overall but some of the stuff he gets defended on is from folk desperate to see good in all he does.

He said they haven't done enough training for it and they are not used to.

It's nothing new though. We knew Ernie didn't believe in physical or mental preparation and Koeman only improved physical condition a bit..

It's been a long since we were top team physically

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome

Physicality is not raised overnight. Even if we started 2 seasons ago it still might take some time to catch up with teams that always done it.
But we at least made a start. I think Dani commented on it yesterday during his interview.

FinBarcelonafan

Physicality is not raised overnight. Even if we started 2 seasons ago it still might take some time to catch up with teams that always done it.
But we at least made a start. I think Dani commented on it yesterday during his interview.

True and tough to improve during season. Players must be exhausted with the games, trainings etc.

JamDav1982

He said they haven't done enough training for it and they are not used to.

It's nothing new though. We knew Ernie didn't believe in physical or mental preparation and Koeman only improved physical condition a bit..

Xavi has been in charge long enough to improve them physically... something he has actually been praised for.

Dont complain about players and how much they run when pick old players and play same ones week in week out.

Likes of FDJ doesnt lack running... why is that is all down to past coaches? In fact Xavi quotes praise him for his extreme physicality.

Much more about type of players picked and how often they play than anything else.

It is excuses. Nothing less.

He cant quite seem to believe that likes of Busi lacks physically and there is nothing that can be done.

Next it will be all the injuries are everyone elses fault as well.

Pick Alves, Alba, Pique an Busquets as four of defensive players then complain about team not being able to run enough is an absolute joke.

Last edited:

Windhook

Exactly. Klopp had to work for years to raise the physicality of Liverpool squad. It reached peak level after 2018, which was almost into Klopp's third year as manager.

JamDav1982

Exactly. Klopp had to work for years to raise the physicality of Liverpool squad. It reached peak level after 2018, which was almost into Klopp's third year as manager.

Due to the players he signed and type of player he bases team on.

Never would you see a Klopp side with so many older players that legs are not what used to be.

Completely different situation.

If Xavi remotely thinks of pace/physicality in way Klopp does then Alves, Pique, Alba and Busquets would be gone in summer.

Wont happen as Xavi loves them bar maybe Alves.

Last edited:

Windhook

Never would you see a Klopp side with so many older players that legs are not what used to be.

Completely different situation.

I agree, with Milner being the single exclusion from this that I can think of. But then James Milner was the type of tireless midfielder who could play for 180 minutes half a decade ago.

Windhook

If Xavi remotely thinks of pace/physicality in way Klopp does then Alves, Pique, Alba and Busquets would be gone in summer.

Wont happen as Xavi loves them bar maybe Alves.

Not all clubs necessarily apply the German blitzkrieg to triumph. But physical preparation is key and I'm content that Xavi brought some of it back to training. Barca were infamous for years for their neglect in physique training, can't even really tell, probably since Lucho days.

Overall assembling a squad of speedy defenders and midfielders is rather utopian, but stamina is the key for success.

serghei

Dest is back clearly behind Alves despite having a few good games a month back. He is one of those who would run more

Alves was decent but as always a huge liability defensively.

Dest will probably be sold to a mid-upper league side and either cement at that level or improve a tier or 2 and go down as another fullback we should have given more time.

Dest been on and off injured since he signed for us. Just when he was building momentum this season he got injured. That's the story with him. He's constantly recovering from minor and medium injuries. All the time.

serghei

We have signed Torres for the price of a Kounde, Tchoumeni, and 20M more than Luiz Diaz.
He forced the club to go for players he wants, and doesn't rotate the amigos even.
So it is on Xavi just like it is on the club that he os dependent on those players.

Torres is not the problem and is nowhere near the definition of a flop yet. Luis Diaz was put in a superbly working environment, of course he'll play better than Ferran Torres. If you'd switch them, Ferran would play much better at Liverpool than Diaz would at Barcelona. Without doubt.

The club cannot afford to sign ready-made world-class players (not even near world-class), especially in attack where prices can be very very high, and has to go for players of lower value. Torres is a signing that reflects that. He needs time.

The club brought in players that Xavi wants from the options presented to him based on the current economical possibilities (which are needless to say really bad). The club was so far in a position where they couldn't even register signings and had to beg some players to take pay cuts. Things are that bad.

So, Xavi is not choosing much. Ferran is the only player for whom an effort was made to sign, the only player that wasn't a free agent or considered expendable by other clubs. The rest are basically low-cost options that we have to take because we can't afford better. Not something you choose, but a path you're forced to take due to poor finances.

But it's ok, I expect this reconstruction to last, so we can't really moan after not even a full season. Look at United and see a reconstruction lasting 10 years. Or at Liverpool and their 30 years without a Premier League title.

Finishing 2nd in this season would be a top performance, and very encouraging for the future rebuild of this team. We should be pretty happy to finish 2nd with the problems we had this season, having scored 4 goals past Real Madrid, and Atletico Madrid, two teams with superior squads to us.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

I agree, with Milner being the single exclusion from this that I can think of. But then James Milner was the type of tireless midfielder who could play for 180 minutes half a decade ago.

Milner is older but the fittest player at Liverpool probably even now let alone when Klopp came in.

Likes of Busi was slow in his prime but set up that suited him. Now he is slow and old and cant move quickly enough or position himself defensively to protect the defence.

Got to point Busquets is even struggling to move enough to help with options of passing out from back unless being left alone by opposition or dropping to be a 3rd CB.

JamDav1982

Xavi chose to sign Torres when he had tens of millions available.

To make out that is some kind of restricted choice is nonsense. He pushed hard for him as a players he very much wanted.

They were lucky enough City would structure deal to make it happen after that... probably City hoping Barca have a debt they cant pay and can try for a FDJ/Pedri due to it though.

Horatio

You're welcome
Torres is not the problem and is nowhere near the definition of a flop yet. Luis Diaz was put in a superbly working environment, of course he'll play better than Ferran Torres. If you'd switch them, Ferran would play much better at Liverpool than Diaz would at Barcelona. Without doubt.

I like Ferran still, but pretty sure this is not true.

What do you think both their G/A would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans