Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No it's not stupid, because that's the only position Dembele and Raphinia can play in 3atb formations.
Especially dembele
Not a CF, not an SS, not a midfielder

The team has to make sure they dominate possession so he is creating on the wing, rather than defending

It is stupid when you have to use your wingers as wing-backs instead of having proper wing-backs in a 3ATB system yes.

JamDav1982

Completely wrong. It is not only position they can play.

They could both play narrower in the 'AM' type role that Fati did when came on also. Dependent on how Xavi wants from that position and if like a second striker as Fati more or less was.

Barca will get torn to shreds if go those two as wide in a four in this 343 formation regularly unless at point rolling dice.

JamDav1982

Anyone noticing how people are starting to criticize Xavi protecting his players in the media while half a year ago that was brought up as one of the things that made him so great compared to Koeman? Funny how these things tend to go sometimes.

Xavi hangs his players out to dry all the time.

As much as Koeman did.

He is just overly positive at times in a Pep kind of way.

Birdy

It is stupid when you have to use your wingers as wing-backs instead of having proper wing-backs in a 3ATB system yes.

So you would play Dest and Alba for instance tonight instead of Dembele and Raphinia, and let the latter ones on the bench??

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
So you would play Dest and Alba for instance tonight instead of Dembele and Raphinia, and let the latter ones on the bench??

No, I would simply not play a system with three central defenders when I don't have proper wing-backs for it, given it's arguably the most important positions to have for a such system to be effective.

You play this versus any good team in Europe and we're getting murdered.

JamDav1982

No, I would simply not play a system with three central defenders when I don't have proper wing-backs for it, given it's arguably the most important positions to have for a such system to be effective.

To be fair it was much better than last weeks 433 and that set up.

Birdy

That's not how a system is decided
You analyze Sociedad first, you judge how to hurt them, you devise a game-plan and a formation.
Then you select players from your squad to fill in the role of each position in the system

Xavi and his staff did all that, concluded 3-5-2 is the system to go with rather than the 4-3-3, and then started selecting personnel for each position.
Some great mistakes there like Ferran starting, but not in the winger/wingback position...

You might say it's something that the players are not used to, and I hear that.
But that's a different discussion. Some games are always the point 0 where everything starts.

Even according to your logic, and given our personnel and their characteristics (lack of fullbacks) I predict 3atb to be used a lot this season

JamDav1982

That's not how a system is decided
You analyze Sociedad first, you judge how to hurt them, you devise a game-plan and a formation.
Then you select players from your squad to fill in the role of each position in the system

Xavi and his staff did all that, concluded 3-5-2 is the system to go with rather than the 4-3-3, and then started selecting personnel for each position.
Some great mistakes there like Ferran starting, but not in the winger/wingback position...

You might say it's something that the players are not used to, and I hear that.
But that's a different discussion. Some games are always the point 0 where everything starts.

Even according to your logic, and given our personnel and their characteristics (lack of fullbacks) I predict 3atb to be used a lot this season

Barca never played 352 you numpty.

PhilS

OK, so this year's team is not exactly balanced. There are significant holes. Got to go with what you've got, for better of worse. Switch to a predominantly 3-3-4 formation, see what happens. Probably won't win trophies, but it will be entertaining. Break the Liga team scoring record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans