Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

serghei

I would just want him to try different stuff. Change the formation,give some players a chance, He needs to be bold. 8f he goes down he should go down swinging as opposed to being cowardly and sticking with a formula that clearly doesn't work.

That's fair. To be honest, the formation is the least of our problems, Bayern, PSG, City, Liverpool all played 4-3-3 a lot, and some still do. It's one of the most successful and popular formations.

His problem is the use of wingers to create width. Wingers are too important near the box to use them so wide all the time, stick the fullbacks up, replace Busi with someone who can run, and allow the wingers to be real goal threats.

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

Xavi: ?With the effort made by the club & the squad we have, we have to compete for trophies. And if we don't win, as the president said, there will be consequences, starting with me. If we don't win, another coach will come in. But I am going to give everything so that this works.?

Grass green, sky blue, midfield closed, Puig Puiged, Xavi out.

KingLeo10

It actually amazes me that the guy who implemented Guardiola's system on the pitch the most is unable to implement even a lesser (since less talented players, that's acceptable) version of it right now.

This wingers glued to the touchline shtick gave success all of 1 month this season

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Static wide wingers, no penetration from the middle of the pitch, FBs unable to make an impact playing as inverted fullbacks when they are used to being the ones providing the width.

He has managed to isolate our wingers, our #9 and even limit the effectiveness of our fullbacks even if they are pretty terrible and not find a solution to our midfielders providing a greater impact in the final third. Xavi insistent on making his players somehow adapt to what he wants even if it doesn't work rather than adapting or altering his system around the type of players he has.

Probably worked in the Qatari Super League when he was managing the richest and best team there though.

Temptation

It actually amazes me that the guy who implemented Guardiola's system on the pitch the most is unable to implement even a lesser (since less talented players, that's acceptable) version of it right now.

This wingers glued to the touchline shtick gave success all of 1 month this season

Because Managing is completely different to playing, even on a tactical level.

Pep makes lots of minute tactical changes even in games which we don't notice. You can't just copy systems from coaches you have learnt from. You have to know how to apply it in real time in real life situations within an instant because you don't have the time to go home and think about how you'll go about it. Management includes lots of in-game quickfire tweaks which can determine the outcome. Pep, the coked up bald prick is an absolute tactical genius who is insanely rare in the industry.

And what I mentioned is just the tactical side of things. After this you have the man management, adaptability, creating an actual coherent philosophy, task delegation and many other aspects.

Playing/working under legendary managers means fuckall for your management career. Yes, learning from the best is always a positive experience but you have it in you naturally. Also it's always more beneficial to have worked under a Pep as an assistant (Arteta) than as a player(Xavi).

Now this comes to the point where you think of legendary managers who aren't necessarily tactical genius material themselves like Ferguson or Ancelotti, but these guys are insanely good at task delegation and man management. They know exactly the kind of assistants and personnel needed to help them. Carlos Quieroz oversaw the entire tactical training for Ferguson's famous United team.

Sometimes managers learn from a particular school of Football but end up developing their own ideas completely. Jose Mourinho learnt from the Barca school of coaching and went on the opposite side of the spectrum to Guardiola and Cruyff.

Xavi simply lacks anything resembling a philosophy. He hasn't learnt anything from Pep. Xavi has ZERO patterns of play. Just get the ball to Dembele who'll dribble and hit endless crosses to RL9. Zero penetration through the middle.

You can know a lot from the way managers break down tactics in interviews too. Watch Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Mourinho, etc analyse any Football game and you go "Wow! Me or the pundits on TV never saw it that way".......I needed to watch one OGS interview to understand that he's a clueless PE teacher..

Barcilliant

Because Managing is completely different to playing, even on a tactical level.

Pep makes lots of minute tactical changes even in games which we don't notice. You can't just copy systems from coaches you have learnt from. You have to know how to apply it in real time in real life situations within an instant because you don't have the time to go home and think about how you'll go about it. Management includes lots of in-game quickfire tweaks which can determine the outcome. Pep, the coked up bald prick is an absolute tactical genius who is insanely rare in the industry.

And what I mentioned is just the tactical side of things. After this you have the man management, adaptability, creating an actual coherent philosophy, task delegation and many other aspects.

Playing/working under legendary managers means fuckall for your management career. Yes, learning from the best is always a positive experience but you have it in you naturally. Also it's always more beneficial to have worked under a Pep as an assistant (Arteta) than as a player(Xavi).

Now this comes to the point where you think of legendary managers who aren't necessarily tactical genius material themselves like Ferguson or Ancelotti, but these guys are insanely good at task delegation and man management. They know exactly the kind of assistants and personnel needed to help them. Carlos Quieroz oversaw the entire tactical training for Ferguson's famous United team.

Sometimes managers learn from a particular school of Football but end up developing their own ideas completely. Jose Mourinho learnt from the Barca school of coaching and went on the opposite side of the spectrum to Guardiola and Cruyff.

Xavi simply lacks anything resembling a philosophy. He hasn't learnt anything from Pep. Xavi has ZERO patterns of play. Just get the ball to Dembele who'll dribble and hit endless crosses to RL9. Zero penetration through the middle.

You can know a lot from the way managers break down tactics in interviews too. Watch Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Mourinho, etc analyse any Football game and you go "Wow! Me or the pundits on TV never saw it that way".......I needed to watch one OGS interview to understand that he's a clueless PE teacher..

Good post.

Why isn't he giving Kessie and Pablo Torre a proper run? His love for his Spanish players is fucking annoying.

Andresito

Staff member
I understand we need the three points, but his subs were a bit too safe. Sub on Kessie instead of Busi, and why even sub on Dembele when he's played a lot lately. Would've liked to see Torre get some minutes as well.

BusiTheKing

A thing that I liked from yesterday was switching around the roles in the attacking formation. We used to have the winger out wide, the fullback further back as passing station and the interior in this undefined inside creative position. What we did yesterday, and what I think is a much better use of each player's attributes, is to have the fullback outwide as a runner/crosser, the interior further back as a passing station, and let the winger be the creative in the undefined position.

Tried to draw it up here:

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/6352717ee77f7e1a28742009

The right side represents what we used to do. The left side represents what I think we should do.

We keep the width. We have a player in the creative role who actually know how to make stuff happen. And we let the midfielder direct the moves + look for through balls like Pedri's to Alba yesterday.

serghei

A thing that I liked from yesterday was switching around the roles in the attacking formation. We used to have the winger out wide, the fullback further back as passing station and the interior in this undefined inside creative position. What we did yesterday, and what I think is a much better use of each player's attributes, is to have the fullback outwide as a runner/crosser, the interior further back as a passing station, and let the winger be the creative in the undefined position.

The right side represents what we used to do. The left side represents what I think we should do.

We keep the width. We have a player in the creative role who actually know how to make stuff happen. And we let the midfielder direct the moves + look for through balls like Pedri's to Alba yesterday.

Yeah, imo at all big teams that play a 4-3-3, wingers tend to spend more time near the center areas than hugging the line.

You are simply too far out when you are near the line to be a goal threat.

Sometimes, true, if you watch Foden, Grealish, Mahrez etc., they will spend a fair amount of time in lateral areas, and make room for De Bruyne and Bernardo to appear in the channels due to the opponent being more stretched out and less compact, but most often it's the wingers themselves that look to operate in those halfspaces more and leave the wider areas for fullback exploits.

Sometimes few players actually stand in space in very wide areas, as they are used for surprise runs and quick switches. City love to underload very wide areas and use them for surprise attacks in this way.

Photo below is a good example of that, look how underloaded the right side is, Cancelo basically is the only one who operates there and looks to exploit Liverpool very compact narrowness.

All other players, including AMs and wingers are operating between the lines in playing distance to each other. That's how you can do those trademark one-twos, that one touch tiki-taka style football Pep became known for. Not by having forwards so far apart that they barely get to pass to each other.

city.png

Last edited:

Birdy

Your drawing reflects perfectly our attack formation.

I don't think we changed what you drew yesterday at all, it's just that Ferran makes different moves compared to Ousame or Raphinia.
Roberto (the FB from that side) didn't create but was again a passing outlet.
Creation happened from the LB (Alba) which was in line with our attacking formation all other times

Personally, I think we should not touch that at all.
We need 1 creator in one flank, and it it plainly obvious in other games

That's why I think playing Ferran and Ansu together is unsustainable long-term, as unsustainable as playing Dembele and Raphinia together all that time.

Demeble and Raph are 'ball to feet' creatros
Ansu and Ferran are 'runners'-finishers who should rather receive in the half-space or inside the box than out wide

Given all the nuances of our formation and traits of other players (like Gavi Pedri etc), the RW should always be the creator, and the LW the 'runner'-finisher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans