Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLeo10

Hardly surprising. One has spent years coaching in Europe and CL making a name for himself while the other's only experience was in a pub league.

Gave Xavi the benefit of the doubt because he's not some run of the mill ex-player lol

He was the brains behind the most dominant midfield at club + national level combined

ETH also needed to show how he'd cope at a historic club with expectations and he's showing that over a large sample size now. Hence, making a more definitive assessment in March as opposed to beginning of season

Birdy

Gave Xavi the benefit of the doubt because he's not some run of the mill ex-player lol

He was the brains behind the most dominant midfield at club + national level combined

ETH also needed to show how he'd cope at a historic club with expectations and he's showing that over a large sample size now. Hence, making a more definitive assessment in March as opposed to beginning of season

ETH showed his class at Ajax, built two very good sides there because the first one got completely decimated and he basically repeated the job. Of course coaching Bayern II whilst Guardiola was first team manager was probably also valuable.

He's a man who carries himself with the greatest authority too and never settles for anything but success.

Yup.

It was always ridiculous to say that Xavi and ETH were on par before ETH's stint at UTD
First, because it's ridiculous to extrapolate coaching ability from player ability (no argument for that, it's self evident),
and then because coaching at small clubs give you MOST (not all) indications whether one is a top, WC coach, and whether he would be a success at a big club.
Everything is there for anyone to see: tactics, philosophy, mentality, style of football, player management, etc
It doesn't show you only one thing: the so-called 'big club' pressure, which some (like KL) blow over proportion to diminish the value of all the other evidence from a stint at a 2nd tier club

It's as ridiculous as arguing Pep would have failed in a smaller club.
No, we have evidence he would have succeeded in a smaller clubs as well, because he has everything in his locker.
On the contrary, we have the opposite evidence that fraud coaches like Zidane would have most likely failed at a smaller club, as they severely lack in tactical preparation, philosophy, style etc.

Why am I saying all this?
Because now, after EL elimination, everyone - monday morning quarterback mentality - is confirming that ETH > Xavi.
No, it was already the case, and it would have been the case if Xavi had qualified against ETH.

Some here pretend that it's all fine to hide, and refuse to accept the big L they took when they were arguing against ETH for the Barca job more than 1 year ago. Let alone the clowns, who were saying two or three months ago, that ETH is average

Last edited:

Iniesta Ultra

ETH has yet to dominate with United though, not saying he won't but will probably need to upgrade Antony, Sancho, Weghorst before he can do so.

KingLeo10

Yup.

It was always ridiculous to say that Xavi and ETH were on par before ETH's stint at UTD
First, because it's ridiculous to extrapolate coaching ability from player ability (no argument for that, it's self evident),
and then because coaching at small clubs give you MOST (not all) indications whether one is a top, WC coach, and whether he would be a success at a big club.
Everything is there for anyone to see: tactics, philosophy, mentality, style of football, player management, etc
It doesn't show you only one thing: the so-called 'big club' pressure, which some (like KL) blow over proportion to diminish the value of all the other evidence from a stint at a 2nd tier club

It's as ridiculous as arguing Pep would have failed in a smaller club.
No, we have evidence he would have succeeded in a smaller clubs as well, because he has everything in his locker.
On the contrary, we have the opposite evidence that fraud coaches like Zidane would have most likely failed at a smaller club, as they severely lack in tactical preparation, philosophy, style etc.

Why am I saying all this?
Because now, after EL elimination, everyone - monday morning quarterback mentality - is confirming that ETH > Xavi.
No, it was already the case, and it would have been the case if Xavi had qualified against ETH.

Some here pretend that it's all fine to hide, and refuse to accept the big L they took when they were arguing against ETH for the Barca job more than 1 year ago. Let alone the clowns, who were saying two or three months ago, that ETH is average

Why are you foaming at the mouth over reasonable opinions?

There is nothing wrong about reserving judgement on Xavi v ETH (for reasons I outlined) until we had a large sample size of ETH at United and even got a H2H matchup

You need to stop overcompensating (nowhere in my post did I attack you or mention you). In fact, I revised my stance based on latest data.

Meanwhile, you're out here trying to establish your 'genius' that you called the outcome of this one back in the summer. Sure, on this one you saw it before the full set of data developed...but there are instances like you twerking for Potter (and calling him elite lmao) when this dude can't even buy 1 W in 10 games. Simmer down, and be humble.

Birdy

Why are you foaming at the mouth over reasonable opinions?

There is nothing wrong about reserving judgement on Xavi v ETH (for reasons I outlined) until we had a large sample size of ETH at United and even got a H2H matchup

You need to stop overcompensating (nowhere in my post did I attack you or mention you). In fact, I revised my stance based on latest data.

Meanwhile, you're out here trying to establish your 'genius' that you called the outcome of this one back in the summer. Sure, on this one you saw it before the full set of data developed...but there are instances like you twerking for Potter (and calling him elite lmao) when this dude can't even buy 1 W in 10 games. Simmer down, and be humble.

Wanna bet on Potter as well? No problem.
If he is given time, he can do what Arteta does now at Arsenal.
My money on that.

KingLeo10

My money on that.

For that bet to be evaluated...Potter will need to secure a job at another top/near top club.

I highly doubt that happens. But sure, if he gets a job at EPL top 6/ LL top 3/ Bayern or something like that, the bet is on :lol:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
ten Hag had a great CV prior to joining Man Utd. Only worry about ten Hag was how he would react with regards to big name players or personalities and he did the right thing from day one, but most importantly Man Utd backed him no matter what.

As for Potter then while he might have great tactical nous his meek personality would worry me if I was a Chelsea fan. Not every man how great of a tactician he may or may not be, got the personality to lead a club with such ambitions.

It's even tougher for someone that wasn't a former player or a former player who did little in his career and someone who was relatively unknown in England as a manager before he eliminated or almost eliminated Arsenal with ?stersunds.

El Gato

Villarato!
"When Busquets lost a possession against Almer?a, Xavi shouted at Busquets asking for more intensity. Busquets asked Xavi if he was asking for intensity just for himself or for the team, and Xavi said for the whole team... Busquets then asked Xavi to calm down."

- @ BarcaUniversal

Lol

Iniesta Ultra

My money on that.

I'd be happy if Potter were sacked after this week so we could replace Xavi with him initially on an interim basis with possibility of longer contract if he can salvage the team.

jamrock

Breaking news ETH, is a more experience & better coach than Xavi.

In other news, humans need Oxygen to breath.

jamrock

Let's say we go to Madrid being down 3 of our starters, lose 2-1/1-0.

Return leg, we have to come out, which allows Madrid to do what they do best, which is hit teams on the counter, something they've done to much better teams that us, we lose the game 2-1/3-2.

That's just a fair & square lost.

Context matters.

Only thing that turns this season into a failure is if we lose the league after being 8 points clean, no excuses for that shit, heads should roll.

ajnotkeith

Let's say we go to Madrid being down 3 of our starters, lose 2-1/1-0.

Return leg, we have to come out, which allows Madrid to do what they do best, which is hit teams on the counter, something they've done to much better teams that us, we lose the game 2-1/3-2.

That's just a fair & square lost.

Context matters.

Only thing that turns this season into a failure is if we lose the league after being 8 points clean, no excuses for that shit, heads should roll.

You can still win games where you're an underdog. It seems like every time we come into a game where we're not the favourite or even 50/50 we have written it off as a loss already and everyone is okay with that.

Remember that we already beat them 4-0 and 3-1 under Xavi so obviously Ancelotti Madrid is a easier game for us than say Bayern or even United based on the proof.

Tomorrow game is at least 60/40 in their favour odds-wise, but that doesn't mean its not winnable and would like to see Xavi coach a good game, we'll see if players are the ones letting him down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans