Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rory

Thought our pressing today was really good. Would be happy with more of this sort of performance. Spent most of the game actually getting at the opponent all over the pitch. Then just have to rely on a bit of individual skill for a goal. Lewa missed some absolute sitters.

Givenchy

Mr 1-0. Problem is though, I see no improvement or signs we are on the right track under Xavi which is why a league title isn't enough.

I wanted pragmatism, heck maybe even some negative defensive shithousery performances vs superior teams (something this club has lacked esp in Europe) but this is getting depressing vs lesser teams. Shows me this isn't by design, it's Xavi cluelessly lucking out again and again. Our defensive record looks great to people who only follow the stats but the amount of times MaTS has bailed us out or dumb luck.. remarkable.

ajnotkeith

Genuine question:

Do we play the WORST football in Europe among all European top sides?

I guess here's the thing : Xavi has hacked LaLiga, at least this season. He's cracked the code.

The attackers in LL are poor and on top of that much slower than our very athletic backline, on top of it. Xavi, I think, understands that defending a lead in LL is probably better than going for a 2nd because our quality in defense far superior to the attacking quality of majority of teams. No point giving them openings if you don't need to, he thinks. And props. He has found a system working great so far for Liga.

The issue I see is that it builds bad habits for Europe when you go against teams with athletic top class attackers that will make you pay for giving up chances and parking the bus.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
A big reason we're constantly on the ropes in the second half is that we only score one goal. Been time and time again this season, including games where the opponent equalized. We just do not convert our chances, sometimes we do not create enough. This is on the attacking third, they are not making good plays and decisions, and if they do, they just do not score. Gavi has to contribute more when he is playing at LW. Lewy and Raphinha need to do better, their stats are good but their overall play is not. Dembele got injured. Ansu and Torres are useless this season. We lack quality upfront.

serghei

A big reason we're constantly on the ropes in the second half is that we only score one goal. Been time and time again this season, including games where the opponent equalized. We just do not convert our chances, sometimes we do not create enough. This is on the attacking third, they are not making good plays and decisions, and if they do, they just do not score. Gavi has to contribute more when he is playing at LW. Lewy and Raphinha need to do better, their stats are good but their overall play is not. Dembele got injured. Ansu and Torres are useless this season. We lack quality upfront.

True, it's annoying that they don't push for the 2nd goal.

Can't wait for Pedri and Dembele to be back, feels like months already.

Porque

I guess here's the thing : Xavi has hacked LaLiga, at least this season. He's cracked the code.

The attackers in LL are poor and on top of that much slower than our very athletic backline, on top of it. Xavi, I think, understands that defending a lead in LL is probably better than going for a 2nd because our quality in defense far superior to the attacking quality of majority of teams. No point giving them openings if you don't need to, he thinks. And props. He has found a system working great so far for Liga.

The issue I see is that it builds bad habits for Europe when you go against teams with athletic top class attackers that will make you pay for giving up chances and parking the bus.

Good post.

Only thing I'll add is that between defence and attack is an large area that we expected Xavi to have expertise about, but he seems to lack nuance there as a manager.

So sure it could be better to defend, or be selective with our attacks, but the midfield should be where we control these choices and the game.

Today we were quite controlled until the sub to be fair. But then you have to question how we switch to have 4 midfielders and then lose the midfield battle.

ajnotkeith

No, it's a choice, and quite obviously one at that.

We score every game yet are regularly not finding a 2nd. If our offense was that bad we would be getting shut out sometimes but we always find the first goal, literally always.

Then it is obvious to see that we start shelling up a bit, and into the last 20 minutes there will be only one person in the other half of the pitch with the rest behind the ball.

The phases of game we have are very clear - looking for a goal, defending a lead, taking a break.

serghei

We score every game yet are regularly not finding a 2nd. If our offense was that bad we would be getting shut out sometimes but we always find the first goal, literally always.

Then it is obvious to see that we start shelling up a bit, and into the last 20 minutes there will be only one person in the other half of the pitch with the rest behind the ball.

The phases of game we have are very clear - looking for a goal, defending a lead, taking a break.

True, if we don't score the 2nd soon, by min 60-65 we will play for the 1-0. I get why some don't like it, but in tricky away games like this one it's totally fine. The problem is against weaker sides we have to score more goals for sure.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

I think it's a positive feedback loop on the psychological level within the players on the pitch. They know they can weather the eventual storm because they did it so many times this season, so they start playing more defensively. Xavi's subs to a midfield 4/back 5 in the previous games also signal that he wants to protect the lead. But still, that is the consequence of being just 1 goal up. We had numerous chances to score the second vs Valencia, for example, but we did not and after the red card we had to hold on for our dear lives.

Porque

This method is going to stop working even in LaLiga.

The results are there, but we're not showing any building blocks or progress into a style or system that we are developing.

There were a few runs of false dawn's, but then we had that with Koeman even.

So I don't know what to say, we are defensively strong because of the individuals l, while also conceding clear goalscoring chances. And in Europe this game is clearly being caught out with the added quality.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Xavi: "We have many things to improve regarding the offensive aspect of the game."

Xavi: "We need to have more patience and be more calm. We're having the same problem in every match."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans