Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajnotkeith

Just checked the xG, xGA, and xP points of last season in La Liga. Team ranked no1 in each category meaning they won the title because they were the best team period.

Simple as that. Trying to discredit that simply downgrades you as a fan.

title.png
Exactly. It doesnt really line up with your outlook that the players are terrible and club is so far behind Madrid etc.

How did they produce that great season in totality if they were all terrible? A manager can't do that much.

serghei

Exactly. It doesnt really line up with your outlook that the players are terrible and club is so far behind Madrid etc.

How did they produce that great season in totality if they were all terrible? A manager can't do that much.

Barca are not terrible, only vs the best teams do Barca indeed seem mediocre.

By sensible metrics and expectatons, the team has been doing great over the last 16 months or so. Even this season is not so bad if the team gets 1st place in CL and doesn't drop too much in the table vs Madrid and Atletico.

If you ignore City, you'd find that most teams spending a lot more than us have actually achieved a lot less.

serghei

Last season's title was a very hard fought one and a big achievement under the circumstances of the club IMO.

It doesn't excuse the poor management we're seeing at the moment, but Xavi did achieve a big thing last season as manager. Both can be true.

That's true. Still doesn't mean you should sack the manager or anything of the sort.

Kul_z

Dude, Sociedad achieved nothing. The aim is not to play nice and win jack shit. :lol:

Only teams to be jealous at in recent years in terms of titles + football played are City, Madrid and Liverpool. That's about it. All of these teams having better managers, better teams, and much more money put in than us.

Don't need to aim to be like Sociedad, Brighton or some teams like that. Incredible really :lol:.

Barca are already champions of Spain, something Sociedad is not going to be anytime soon.
You either pretend to be dumb or dont want to see the clear point that a lot of people on here and outside want to say. We were champions of spain while crashing out of cl group stage. We were champions while we got eliminated from el very next round. We were champions while we got annhiliated at nou camp by madrid with 1-0 lead from bernabeu in copa del rey.

serghei

:lol: Don't give a flying fuck about EL and some Copa game. Champions of Spain.

La Liga and CL are all that matters. Namely, winning the CL or winning La Liga. The rest are a bonus.

Only if you fail at your primary objective do some EL or Copa count a lot.

serghei

Okay so what's the bare minimum Xavi should be doing this season to stay in the job?

Make it out of the groups in CL and don't finish lower than 3rd in La Liga for me. Then, even if the season is a bad one, he should stay. If the team wins titles again and makes it far in CL... of course he is untouchable then for a good period.

serghei

A Barca manager has to win titles. It's a tough job, especially on a low budget. If a Barca manager has more than one season without any meaningful title or some good good CL run, he has to leave.

Nobody could survive 2 back to back trophyless seasons at Barca for example. I'm not saying I agree with this, but the club is hard to manage. You need to win to stay on the job.

This is why comparisons to B clubs like some EPL sides are funny. Not a single EPL club is of the stature of Madrid or Barca, not even United or Liverpool.

Last edited:

Rory

Using xG isn’t a great example of showing how deserving of the league we were. 8 of the games we won we had a lower xG

serghei

xPTS?

Expected number of points had us 1st last season. Actually, xPTS has us 1st this season too. :lol:

Just let it go, the team was the best last season in Spain on a collective level easily.

I can agree that some individual performances drove up the gap, but still the team played the best football.

This season it's the opposite so far. The poor individual performances and some referee errors have us on fewer points than normal. Even if the football displayed has been supbar compared to last season.

Last edited:

Temptation

A Barca manager has to win titles. It's a tough job, especially on a low budget. If a Barca manager has more than one season without any meaningful title or some good good CL run, he has to leave.

Nobody could survive 2 back to back trophyless seasons at Barca for example. I'm not saying I agree with this, but the club is hard to manage. You need to win to stay on the job.

This is why comparisons to B clubs like some EPL sides are funny. Not a single EPL club is of the stature of Madrid or Barca, not even United or Liverpool.

Liverpool is definitely of Barca's stature. It's delusional to suggest otherwise.

Liverpool have amazing history; been an iconic club for a long, long time. We still have more CLs than you.

Currently I would put Barca as the slightly bigger club above us owing to Barca's glorious golden period in recent history.

Also, stop clubbing Barca and Real together in terms of legacy. Real are far ahead in that aspect.
In terms of stature and legacy, Real Madrid are above everyone followed by 3 clubs at a similar level.

It goes:

Real

Bayern
Barca
Liverpool

Only putting Barca above us because of the glorious golden patch post 2000.

Rory

xPTS?

Expected number of points had us 1st last season. Actually, xPTS has us 1st this season too. :lol:

Just let it go, the team was the best last season in Spain on a collective level easily.

I can agree that some individual performances drove up the gap, but still the team played the best football.

This season it's the opposite so far. The poor individual performances and some referee errors have us on fewer points than normal. Even if the football displayed has been supbar compared to last season.
no I said xG.

Yeah we were probably just about the best team collectively, mostly due to underperforming teams around us. Expected points being almost 9 lower than what we achieved kind of highlights what people are saying. That we overachieved compared to how we actually played. 79 points is rarely a league winning amount.

But anyway, there's nothing to let go. We won the league last year and Xavi deserves some credit for that and deserves to go this full season without thinking of being sacked. Come the end of the season we'll see what the situation is and assess then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans