Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionicman

He maintained possession better than he has in many recent games (I don't recall any misplaced passes), but he didn't have any creativity today. I'd like to see the passing stats to check my first impression.

BerkeleyBernie

Xavi would be the first to admit that his excellence is dependent on the options available to him, and often this year, there has been little available.

It seems to me that Barça, for whatever reason, is trying to play a more direct/risky version of the game it's excelled at over the past few years, and it simply doesn't work. I can't remember the last time I saw a 20-pass buildup, waiting for just the right moment to slip in the dagger. Everyone is having to work a lot harder without ball. Instead of tiring out the other team, now Barça is getting equally tired. Resting with the ball seems to have been tossed out in favor of more vertical movement. And yet, even with increased verticality, they are still trying to play the pretty pass in the box. If you are going to play more direct football, at least you have to get off shots that test the keeper, and try to make something come of the rebounds. Otherwise, you are only giving up possession faster, with no potential benefit.

I feel Cesc shows his EPL grooming, choosing to play vertically by default, but lacking the sharpness to execute it. Thiago is the man who needs to step into the mid when Iniesta or Xavi is out. Thiago is also capable of moving the ball vertically, but his first choice is usually to find the player with space.

Darko

Xavi would be the first to admit that his excellence is dependent on the options available to him, and often this year, there has been little available.

It seems to me that Barça, for whatever reason, is trying to play a more direct/risky version of the game it's excelled at over the past few years, and it simply doesn't work. I can't remember the last time I saw a 20-pass buildup, waiting for just the right moment to slip in the dagger. Everyone is having to work a lot harder without ball. Instead of tiring out the other team, now Barça is getting equally tired. Resting with the ball seems to have been tossed out in favor of more vertical movement. And yet, even with increased verticality, they are still trying to play the pretty pass in the box. If you are going to play more direct football, at least you have to get off shots that test the keeper, and try to make something come of the rebounds. Otherwise, you are only giving up possession faster, with no potential benefit.

I feel Cesc shows his EPL grooming, choosing to play vertically by default, but lacking the sharpness to execute it. Thiago is the man who needs to step into the mid when Iniesta or Xavi is out. Thiago is also capable of moving the ball vertically, but his first choice is usually to find the player with space.

:goodpost:

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep

Good points.

When Xavi used to look up, he'd almost always see a winger making a lateral run behind the defense towards the goal.
Unfortunately this hasn't been the case this season.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
because phil is a madridista.

and he has those wierd american terms like rebound, hustle, tucks it it etc

Not true about the first line. What makes you say so? And to be honest, he is the only one who successfully translated American terms into football...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans