Not open for further replies.

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
If Ronaldo was the captain of Portugal the votes would be
Invalid vote-Invalid vote-Invalid vote

F

FCB_Titi_LB

Still dazzled why Henry didnt win it.
The guy gave Arsenal an unbeaten season and Premiership trophee with lots of goals :)
probably wasnt that good in europe/france (quality but not like ronaldo and co)

beef-supreme

best one indeed is UAE... whose coach and captain decided to not vote for the 3rd place.

i could imagine them saying... "we dont know anyone except for Messi and Ronaldo... what do we do for the third vote?"

"Fuck it"

:lol:

But the Cronaldo favouritism is not only frightening but appalling as well.. These people jsut don't watch football, it seems.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
:lol:

But the Cronaldo favouritism is not only frightening but appalling as well.. These people jsut don't watch football, it seems.

uh, he scored 42 goals and won a league and CL double.

who deserved to win it ahead of him?

I mean, it's not like he's getting those kinda votes THIS year. that was when he actually deserved it.

beef-supreme

uh, he scored 42 goals and won a league and CL double.

who deserved to win it ahead of him?

I mean, it's not like he's getting those kinda votes THIS year. that was when he actually deserved it.

OH!
:lol: I THOUGHT these were for this year! :confused:
I take back everything! My mistake.

I mean really, i was having a panic attack, I was half-rolling around on my bed shivering, I was just unable to comprehend why so many people would favour Cronaldo after Messi's treble etc. I was lost. But now I am found. Phew. Scare over.

IrvDizzle

Charlie Sheen's Protégé
if FCB had beaten ManU in the CL Semi in 2008 Xavi would have had a better case to win the POY last year.

this year though, it should be Iniesta, Leo, and Xavi in some order for the top three.

oh ... and Xavi is the man.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
if FCB had beaten ManU in the CL Semi in 2008 Xavi would have had a better case to win the POY last year.

this year though, it should be Iniesta, Leo, and Xavi in some order for the top three.

oh ... and Xavi is the man.

barcelonaR_468x344.jpg

dat's right sally!

diegomessi

Anxiously waiting for the next match
Do you feel like the standard bearer of the current Barca team, its lead character?

Perhaps before, it was imported players that marked the difference, but now it is the home-grown players who are the pillar of the team like Messi, Puyol, Piqué, Valdes and me. Pep has given us a leading role and that confidence makes us feel important.

So why is this Barca philosophy so important?

We must not lose this game philosophy. A Barca player is identified by his jersey, but, above all, by his playing style. The fans will not appreciate it if we play differently. They want entertainment but also victories.

But you also fail to win against Rubin or in Pamplona (against Osasuna).

I am convinced that if we had managed to score at least one goal against the Russians (in Kazan), it could have been very different. Look, I have to say one thing: we are playing better than we did at this point last season when we won the Triplet. What happened is that we were unlucky in the match. Against Rubin we hit the post twice (at home), and once again in Kazan. Last year we were scoring with ease.

The match against Inter will be exciting.

Yes, you noticed the excitement with the people around you, your friends and your family. The match is days away and they already talk to you about the match, about Mourinho, about Eto’o, about Motta. I am an optimist, (and) I have faith in Barca. We should have won when we met them in Milan. They end up playing in their own half, but we just could not break the deadlock.

Will there be a special treatment for the return of Mourinho and Eto’o to the Camp Nou?

Not while on the pitch. You’re so focused on the match. Sometimes only after the match will you greet the person you recognised. Of course, the fans are more concerned (about this).

Some players who come to Barca do not have it easy. They say the first test is not to be idle.

I know from Mark van Bommel who told me that here the ball moved around too quickly. He was accustomed to receiving the ball and see what he can do with it.

Has it happened to just van Bommel, what about Henry and Ibrahimovic?

No, they are good players who have quickly understood (the philosophy), although ‘Titi’ did find it difficult to adapt early on. Here the ball goes to the foot and we move it around quickly. The coach has to talk to him a lot. Ibra has caught on much more easily because he was part of the Ajax academy, whose principles are similar. Zlatan is a unique case.

Your understanding with Pep Guardiola seems perfect.

We have a special relationship (because) we used to play together. We look at football in the same way. We talk a lot, and we trust each other. He always called me to the bench to give me orders. I’m like his extension inside the pitch.

You were also on good terms with van Gaal.

He has a special temperament, but very fair in his decisions. If you worked hard, he will reward you by playing you. He discovered Puyol, Iniesta, Victor, Oleguer and me. He believes in the canteranos.

Was it like that with Rijkaard too?

He is too nice a person for this job, but he is a very good coach. He will go out of his way to understand someone. Sometimes he just needs to be tough with the players. I am not surprised he is doing well in Turkey. Football-wise, tactically, he is a highly educated guy who taught me a lot.

You are now a lead player, more than you were before.

I’ve always felt I have a special role in the team, although I must admit, at times I failed to do so as in some recent matches.

Last season, not even a child could have dreamt that.

It was amazing, and (personally) it helped erased those difficult moments when I had to fight hard just to succeed.

Are you referring to your injured-prone season?

Yes, it was very difficult to watch your team reached the final in Paris in 2006 and I could not participate in it because of injury. I had to celebrate from the bench. For years we had no luck playing in the Champions League but (last season) we reached the final once more… Football always gives you a rematch, if you keep working on it, it will come your way. What I didn’t expect was for everything to fell into place as well: Liga, Copa del Rey, Champions League, and the 2-6 to Madrid at the Bernabeu. All these joys erased the previous nightmares.

Is Messi that good?

I’ve watched him evolve from when he was a kid. He is like a ‘machine’, extremely professional, with a good football head and surrounded by good people. He has everything to succeed.

It must be a pleasure playing down the right flank with Messi and Alves.

It’s a great pleasure. I enjoy it a lot. Leo is the best, the fact is he always asks for the ball, he likes the responsibility and never shirks from it. And so is Alves, you turn and he’s already ahead of you, then he runs back to defend. He is like a motorcycle. It is always a luxury to play with Dani.

Andres Iniesta?

I always ask him to look for me (during matches). We move the ball around together from midfield. He is a phenomenon. His skills are overwhelming. It is not easy to find a player with his abilities. He is a luxury to play with too. He is my ideal midfield partner.

It is the same with Cesc Fabregas in the national team.

I have said it before. Genetically, Cesc is a Barcelona player, who understands our philosophy since from his days at La Masia. I laughed at those who say we are incompatible in the national team because it is the opposite. We complement each other with our eyes closed. He is a unique football player as he has demonstrated with Arsenal and the national team.

Tell me about the Ballon d’Or in a particularly general way.

I honestly believe it must go to a Barca player for the tremendous year we had. We deserved it. This award would be the recognition for the whole team. I honestly think Messi has the numbers to win it and that would be justified.

No Spanish player since Luis Suarez has won the Ballon d’Or.

But this year we’re honoured that Andres and I, as former canteranos, are among those nominated along with Toure and Henry, and not forgetting Eto’o, nominated as a Barca player. And there could be more like Alves, or canteranos like Puyol and Pique.

What goes through your mind when you hear and read about the many compliments that Barca have been getting?

It is a tremendous pride when you have fans from other clubs congratulating you on your game, but we like to remain being humble (about it) because we are always hungry for victories. Seeing grown people or kids wearing the Barcelona jersey in the countries you travel to makes you happy.

Do you think that Spain is a carbon copy of Barcelona?

There are Puyol, Piqué, Iniesta, myself and even Cesc. We look at football in the same way. Vicente del Bosque has his way of interpreting it, as had Luis Aragonés before him, as they know how to make use of our qualities. Silva, Mata and Villa would fit perfectly into Barca’s way of playing too.

What is your hope for the World Cup?

Everything, this World Cup comes at an opportune moment for our generation. But we must do so with humility and hard work. People need to be reminded about the Confederations Cup in the U.S. when we were eliminated. I don’t like this favourite tag they are giving us. We’re the champions of Europe, and we do play good football but we still do not have that extra ingredient that such teams as Argentina, Germany, Italy or Brazil have, it is that winning gene. We need to compete with the top four of the world a couple of times to be like them. But that does not mean we can’t go far and be the champion.

Who is the favourite?

I see a World Cup with many surprises, and other than the teams that I mentioned earlier, I think Ivory Coast is another candidate.

Let’s talk about the Champions League. What teams do you think stands out?

First and foremost is Chelsea. I like the way they play. Ancelotti’s arrival has given them a better defensive ability, more balance. They also have good strikers in Drogba and Anelka, with Lampard, Ballack, Essien and Deco in midfield.

Then there are the usual suspects, Manchester United, Inter, Juventus, I also like how Fiorentina and Bordeaux play. I now see Lyon having more character with Lisandro. The Champions League is very open but nobody should forget us. Barcelona is the reigning champion and will be there and there about. Remember that!

Are they any teams that disappoint you?

I wanted more from Bayern. I just don’t understand what happen to them. They have a good coach in van Gaal, and great players the likes of Ribery.

Any surprises?

I love the way Arsenal plays. They play wonderful football like us, and have very good individuals. They lack a little luck going into the final as in 2006 and something else, perhaps in defense because they are magnificent side upfront.

O

oyetunde

I've seen games where Messi, Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Figo, Pirlo etc have been beaten and beaten fairly. I don't think I'veve ever watched a game, for Barca or Spain, where Xavi as been out classed. One of the best players to ever play the game and he'll never win a ballon d'or and about 2 years after his retirement, except to Barca fans, he'll be forgotten.
so so sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans