Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

KhaledBarca

Another good game, he needs to rest vs Rayo and hopefully be at his best against Man City!

I expect Tata to play Cesc Song Iniesta against Rayo!

BerkeleyBernie

Tata doesn't want to have more possession than Rayo, just like the last match :VdB:

Just in case anyone is taking your remark seriously: tactics not necessarily the same, playing at Camp Nou instead of that minefield of a pitch; it's called "tiki-taka," not "tiki-aww-crap!" :D Xavi or not, I expect Barça to have higher possession this time out.

Xtroverto

Martino: "Xavi subbed off? He had some discomfort and we didn't want to take risks." #fcblive

Good job overplaying him.

I don't think Tata is overplaying Xavi, he is after all the best player we have in that role. Compared to last season (up till his injury) he is playing much less. This year he has played around 2450 minutes compared to almost 3000 last year this far into the season.

If there is one thing Tata does right, it is his policy of rotating all players to give them equal matching, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Cesc all have played about the same amount ot minutes, I think this will prove to be important in the last third of the season, coming in with no player having done all the heavy lifting for the team. Especially in the defense we have lots of options so an injury doesn't end all hopes.

F

Flavia

I don't think Tata is overplaying Xavi, he is after all the best player we have in that role. Compared to last season (up till his injury) he is playing much less. This year he has played around 2450 minutes compared to almost 3000 last year this far into the season.

If there is one thing Tata does right, it is his policy of rotating all players to give them equal matching, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets and Cesc all have played about the same amount ot minutes, I think this will prove to be important in the last third of the season, coming in with no player having done all the heavy lifting for the team. Especially in the defense we have lots of options so an injury doesn't end all hopes.

He played less minutes, but played 3 games in a row. That's overplaying. And that's why his chronic tendinitis probably manifested itself.

barcanuck

I'm sorry but it has to be Cesc-Iniesta against City. It will be an absolute travesty if Xavi keeps one of them out.

How dare you criticize the legend of Xavi! He is 34 only ;)

Honestly I hope he has a good game but he is a blunt knife these days and we will limit our creativity with him out there.

Xtroverto

I'm sorry but it has to be Cesc-Iniesta against City. It will be an absolute travesty if Xavi keeps one of them out.

It will be all three of them playing, iniesta will play in the attack like he did under Guardiola and Vilanova, so it will be Busi-Xavi-Cesc and in front Iniesta-Messi-Pedro.

Paganinisrvnge

It will be all three of them playing, iniesta will play in the attack like he did under Guardiola and Vilanova, so it will be Busi-Xavi-Cesc and in front Iniesta-Messi-Pedro.

I don't like Xavi being forced into the team. Iniesta and Cesc deserve to start while Pedro and Alexis deserve to accompany Messi in attack. Then Neymar can be brought on around the 60th minute.

KhaledBarca

Xavi forced into the team? He's been doing well this season and he didn't play the last game. So he should be fresh for this game!
He is a must and I know that he'll do great in few hours vs City!

BerkeleyBernie

It's. Not. About. The. Stats.

Except for possession and accuracy. Xavi's primary role is *not* to create, but to get the ball up the field to the creators, and provide a safe outlet for the creators.

It's hard to judge how ManCity will play. If they play an open game, Xavi will keep them running in circles, and plenty of room for the Barça attack. If they sit back and wait for the ball, then Xavi's skills aren't as needed.

My guess is that Xavi will start, as both teams will be more conservative starting out, trying to feel the other team. If Man City sits back, Xavi will be subbed off at 60.

KhaledBarca

It was never about Stats with Xavi, he's role is to control the tempo of the game and he's still doing that!
Not as effective as in his prime, but he's still the best at it! He's 34? sure and that's why Tata is giving him more rest this season and which is wise. He didn't play the last game vs Rayo to be fresh and fit for this game vs City. He's play a crucial role tomorrow, I'm sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans