Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinBarcelonafan

No idea about that, but generally our CF position is manageable while our wings are a deadly flaw as soon as we have one injury. So a winger makes the most sense. I wouldn't read Fati as CF into it (yet).

True, that's why I like Coman. He is very good wing. Sadly a lot of injuries.

ajnotkeith

No idea about that, but generally our CF position is manageable while our wings are a deadly flaw as soon as we have one injury. So a winger makes the most sense. I wouldn't read Fati as CF into it (yet).

To me one of the main reasons we have been losing games is Depay out of position at CF. We need a 'killer' that will bring us goals there, not a converted winger who scores a great goal or a pen once in a blue moon. Our only natural '9' without Kun as he probably won't play for us again is Luuk De Jong and obviously that's not a great choice.

We should go for Andrea Belotti to fix that position in the winter window (if Laporta isn't lying about our funds) or next summer when his contract expires. Perfect choice to solve the problems, in his prime at 27, quality reliable forward who isn't injury prone, and his contract expires next summer. We would likely be the only 'big' team in for him, he's not quite good enough for the top teams but great for us considering the weakness at the CF spot, and of course we could get him cheap or free. Then move Depay back to LW or second striker.

It's been six seasons in a row he has gotten double digits in Serie A now for Torino. Probably on low wages as well.

behindbrowneyes

There is no part of the philosphy that says the players have to be timid lazy and weak. Playing weak players is not part of the philosophy.

This. Snippet of latest video Barca has posted on Instagram:

"If you don't have a boss who's demanding, you'll find you're a five or six out of ten. But if you've got a boss who demands 9, 9,5 or 10, then maybe you give an 8 but with that 8 you win titles. That's been my experience in my career. When I've had a coach who demanded a lot from me, who's pushed me in training: "Come on, let's go!", who's pushed me in training: "Come on, let's go!" The effort, the sacrifice, the attitude, the teamwork, the running.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the whole video on youtube. Maybe it is not an old quote,

Now we know that every new coach speaks wise words and bringing it to the pitch is a different story. Koeman too said some true words when he was still coach of the Netherlands. Setien's welcome press conference sounded exciting, but the truth could be seen on the pitch.

Still, Xavi strikes me as a very demanding person, technically, physically and tactically. Also very active on a sideline which is a sign of having a very clear idea of what he wants. What matters is if he can transmit his idea to his players. He seems to have good communication skills which is a pretty good basis for it. The biggest problem are the expectations the name "Xavi" brings with him. Being successful with this squad selection is just mission impossible, looking at what other coaches have at their disposal. Maybe a Copa if we are "lucky" and other big teams decide to lay their focus on La Liga and Champions League.

Not gonna lie, I'd had preferred to keep Koeman until the end of the season/an "interim" until end of the season and get ten Hag in the summer, but Xavi is not a bad choice either if you give him the necessary time. Of course he has his flaws and some question marks regarding his experience, but we can't get the perfect coach which might be Guardiola. Betting on Xavi and GIVING HIM TIME to develop into a coach who can build something substantial during Laporta's whole presidency at least is a decent try instead of getting another proven average coach like that Martinez guy from Belgium.

BBZ8800

There is no part of the philosphy that says the players have to be timid lazy and weak. Playing weak players is not part of the philosophy.

Go check La Masia/Cruijff principles, they are teaching kids too much about being nice and humble.

That is a good trait for a son, grandson or your neighbor, but not a good trait in a highly combative/aggressive/pressure sport.

Players who grew up on the streets and similar have higher chances to cope under pressure than nice and humble La Masia choirboys.

Another factor is Pep's idea of avoiding actions with a low efficiency percentage like corners and longhots.

And then you get Barca's midfielders from the last few years:
1. don't shoot, rather pass (Pep's style)
2. paired with overly nice, choir boys mentality

ajnotkeith

"If you don't have a boss who's demanding, you'll find you're a five or six out of ten. But if you've got a boss who demands 9, 9,5 or 10, then maybe you give an 8 but with that 8 you win titles. That's been my experience in my career. When I've had a coach who demanded a lot from me, who's pushed me in training: "Come on, let's go!", who's pushed me in training: "Come on, let's go!" The effort, the sacrifice, the attitude, the teamwork, the running.
Unfortunately, I couldn't find the whole video on youtube. Maybe it is not an old quote,

Now we know that every new coach speaks wise words and bringing it to the pitch is a different story. Koeman too said some true words when he was still coach of the Netherlands. Setien's welcome press conference sounded exciting, but the truth could be seen on the pitch.

Still, Xavi strikes me as a very demanding person, technically, physically and tactically. Also very active on a sideline which is a sign of having a very clear idea of what he wants. What matters is if he can transmit his idea to his players. He seems to have good communication skills which is a pretty good basis for it. The biggest problem are the expectations the name "Xavi" brings with him. Being successful with this squad selection is just mission impossible, looking at what other coaches have at their disposal. Maybe a Copa if we are "lucky" and other big teams decide to lay their focus on La Liga and Champions League.

Not gonna lie, I'd had preferred to keep Koeman until the end of the season/an "interim" until end of the season and get ten Hag in the summer, but Xavi is not a bad choice either if you give him the necessary time. Of course he has his flaws and some question marks regarding his experience, but we can't get the perfect coach which might be Guardiola. Betting on Xavi and GIVING HIM TIME to develop into a coach who can build something substantial during Laporta's whole presidency at least is a decent try instead of getting another proven average coach like that Martinez guy from Belgium.

It is easy to transmit your ideas and know what you want playing against amateur teams but as has been explained here he came up short in the ACL when he faced professional teams and that's what worries me. He won the league sure but several great signings were made such as Cazorla, Afif etc and he performed basically to expectations (win the league, because you're the best squad in it, but get knocked out of ACL every year). His tactics and management skills surely can't be that advanced if he can't do any better than that. Imagine putting any world-class coach in that team, they'd probably do something continentally right? Considering how low level the teams are compared to LaLiga, even the best teams in Asia might not be Liga quality, a world-class coach should be able to dominate tactically.

Last edited:

mc_lovin

Go check La Masia/Cruijff principles, they are teaching kids too much about being nice and humble.

That is a good trait for a son, grandson or your neighbor, but not a good trait in a highly combative/aggressive/pressure sport.

Players who grew up on the streets and similar have higher chances to cope under pressure than nice and humble La Masia choirboys.

Another factor is Pep's idea of avoiding actions with a low efficiency percentage like corners and longhots.

Pure BS.

BBZ8800

Read this then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Cruyff

About Cruyff's lasting influence on Barca's youth academy La Masia, Guillem Balague noted, "Cruyff demanded changes at the academy and La Masia began regularly producing the players he wanted as well as providing the kids with a sound education, dual ambitions of the Dutch coach and the club. "The player who has come through La Masia has something different from the rest, it's a plus that only comes from having competed in a Barcelona shirt from the time you were a child", says Guardiola. He is talking not only about the understanding of the game and their ability, but about human qualities. The players who go through La Masia are taught to behave with civility and humility. The theory being that, not only is it pleasant to be unassuming, but also if you are humble, you are capable of learning – and the capacity to learn is the capacity to improve. If you aren't capable of learning you won't improve. Since his arrival, Johan had tried and succeeded in convincing the club to train all the junior teams in the same way as the first eleven – and to favour talent over physique."

So, Cruijffism at La Masia:
1. has strong emphasis on being humble
2. he favors talent over physique, which can easily go horribly wrong and you are stuck with physique of Pedri, Riki and similar, as happened to us
Or, ask yourself why we have slow, technical wingers instead of pacey wingers.
Because our guys have Cruijff's/Barca DNA needed talent.

Ideas straight from 1991'

Last edited:

Messi983

There are other wingers out there. I'm not a fan of Sterling but he's not too bad.
I think Xavi is looking at Fati as the CF.

Think so too. Reports are there is a dilemma inside the club as Xavi prefers winger(s) while Sporting department is looking for a #9 to replace Aguero (and well, Luuuuuuuuuk - not really, lol - who we'll try to offload in January). Ideally we'd get both but don't know if we could afford.

khaled_a_d

We should go for Andrea Belotti to fix that position in the winter window (if Laporta isn't lying about our funds) or next summer when his contract expires. Perfect choice to solve the problems, in his prime at 27, quality reliable forward who isn't injury prone, and his contract expires next summer. We would likely be the only 'big' team in for him, he's not quite good enough for the top teams but great for us considering the weakness at the CF spot, and of course we could get him cheap or free. Then move Depay back to LW or second striker.

Serie A strikers don't do that well outside of it tbh, Immobile was top scorers 3 times, Icardi didn't look that special with PSg, Luca Toni was banging goals till late 30's.

To me one of the main reasons we have been losing games is Depay out of position at CF. We need a 'killer' that will bring us goals there,

Teams has been relying on wingers, or wingers converted into second strikers, to score goals more than their no 9 for over a decade. And while the new generation of the Halaand, Vlahovic, Isak of the world might change it, along the last 2 from Lewa might change that, it is still a viable way to depend on your wingers to score.

If Fati as a LW is our main scorer, I don't see a problem with it. And tbf Fati and Depay has great chemistry and switch positions between 9 and LW smoothly.

Wingers add balance to this squad, you need speed to force opponents to sit back, you need RW to stretch defense. Without both we are making the life of our 9 terrible.
Not that I mind getting a 9, because honestly Depay level is 1st choice from the bench if we are being honest, but going purely from immediate need? I think a winger will do us more good

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona

Don't know how demanding Xavi would be with the squad, but I know the Camp Nou grounds keeper and staff are already quaking in their boots. The boss is home

SmilerBam

Really? Then why we won so much with players from our own academy then? Also, Xavi, Puyol, Pique are not really overly nice nor choir boy. Or Valdes. Just some examples from our academy.

KingLeo10

Choir boys Xavi and Iniesta are the most successful football players of all time.

7 major cup titles - 7 W, 0 L

2006,2009,2011,2015 CL
2008,2012 Euro Cup
2010 WC.

Fuck outta here with this "too nice" agenda. They were mental giants/killers on the football pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans