Xavi Hernández

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porque

If only everything in football was that simple, 2nd leg at home you win period!.

Right but the comment was what would show that Xavi is the chosen one.

Winning LaLiga is great obviously, but for that statement it would surely be winning a knockout competition aswell. And Copa del Rey over Real Madrid in the Semi raises it's achievement.

Close game against Man UTD and we can hold our heads high looking back, but to be the chosen one you also have to show you can win knockout football too and not just the league.

ajnotkeith

Winning LaLiga is great obviously, but for that statement it would surely be winning a knockout competition aswell. And Copa del Rey over Real Madrid in the Semi raises it's achievement.

Close game against Man UTD and we can hold our heads high looking back, but to be the chosen one you also have to show you can win knockout football too and not just the league.

I don't want to be pessimistic but tbh I think that the Xavi project is just going downhill from here.

No matter how much people will deny it our ample sample size of losing and conceding bags of goals in Europe does demonstrate the team's real level. The arguments about injuries only reinforce that belief - if a couple of your key players out derails your chances to win entirely how are you ever going to expect to win any trophy over the course of a 60-70 game season? That will always happen and not a good look that people are assigning the blame to that. The truth is, even with Pedri or Dembele or everyone fit, we have played enough terrible games against LL fodder where we have continually been lucky to scrape out wins - exactly the thing Cruyff warned against, resultadisimo, and it's not sustainable to continue to win games long-term like that.

Overall, I think our LaLiga first round has been a bit of a mirage. For a variety of factors, luck with opponents missing chances, team in great form and hardly anyone being injured (until a few weeks ago), being lucky to repeatedly grind out wins, and most importantly for me, the surprise factor of Xavi Barcelona.

We play very very differently to how we have ever used to play and all the coaches comment about it after they play us every time. About how Barca has changed off-the-ball, us being a very physical team now, much more direct, etc. That factor of surprise for me has contributed to the bounce. Teams and coaches are used to the old lazy teams where nobody would press and we would usually get outworked, but it is not the case anymore.

It's a positive but I believe as teams get acclimatised to this new version of Barca the flaws are going to be targeted and exploited just like the better coaches in Europe have done, now that data is out for us - Rubi (Almeria coach) broke our tactics down really well in his press conference last week for example. There is also another thing to consider that typically very intense teams like us currently tend to suffer a lot more in the 2nd half of the season due to fatigue and injuries piling up, especially when doing it with old or injury prone players (Lewandowski, Pedri, Dembele, Kounde, Araujo..).

So I am predicting that we have a much worse 2nd round than the first and it may not be particularly close either. We will lose enough points but Madrid will drop plenty as well so could still scrape out the title, but future prospects with Xaviball? I'm not sure.

jamrock

I think anyone who says he's the chosen one is as foolhardy as anyone who tries to down play how big of an achievement winning la Liga is under the circumstances.

He's a solid coach who came in under exceptionally difficult circumstances, probably the worst hand off possible from one regime to the next & In the first year of a rebuild, is on track to win la Liga, after 3 years without winning anything bar the copa del Rey.

Not much more you can ask for under the current circumstances, unless you hired some pep or klopp type figure, who also didn't do anything of note Europe in their first season at a big club, maybe klopp I'm not sure, but I doubt it.

The extremes on both sides of the debate is complete non sense in all honesty, the ones who cry about Europe are largely the same ones who will up to this date make excuses for Valverde failing 2 times being 3-0 in a semi finals, those their point of view is largely hypocritical!!!.

Based on what I've seen So far from him, he's not the super long term coach we need, but if he stays for 3.5 years gets us 2 liga's and stabilizes the ship and Under the CIRCUMSTANCES, he's done Brilliant job.

ajnotkeith

For a minute there I confused you with someone else lol.

Yep let's make the CL QF, massive achievement that.

The stupid shit people here think ������.

LaLiga is a bigger achievement than QF Champions League clearly but the outrage and concern isn't because we didn't win the CL, its the way we went out and the impression it left for the future.

Competing for the CL this season was an unrealistic goal, but still, it would have been encouraging to see more than instantly getting knocked out at first stage of both CL and EL. The results and approach to those games doesn't really give anyone much confidence Xavi is going to be the man to take us back to the top.

Winning 2 LaLiga's would be great still but don't count your chickens, he may well end up with nothing.

jamrock

LaLiga is a bigger achievement than QF Champions League clearly but the outrage and concern isn't because we didn't win the CL, its the way we went out and the impression it left for the future.

Competing for the CL this season was an unrealistic goal, but still, it would have been encouraging to see more than instantly getting knocked out at first stage of both CL and EL. The results and approach to those games doesn't really give anyone much confidence Xavi is going to be the man to take us back to the top.

Winning 2 LaLiga's would be great still but don't count your chickens, he may well end up with nothing.

And like I said in my much longer post above, which the idiot chose only chose to quote a small part of & still looked like a dunce.

HE MAY NOT!! be the man to take us back to the top,he may just be a stop gap that stabilizes us & gets us back on the path to winning things that actually matter again & theirs nothing wrong with that.

If he stays here for 3.5 years wins gets us winning & moves on, Job done, I personally don't want him here much longer than that, unless he turns out to be some kinda coaching genius, which he hasn't shown so far.

What he or anyone else wins are doesn't win is all conjecture at the moment as nothing is decided yet.
But if he doesn't win la liga this season he gotta go.

If he wins let's say back to back liga's, that's a great job.

Excluding whatever he may or may not do in Europe.

Barcilliant

I am just wondering WHY the majority here STILL think Xavi is the answer and he still needs time. Seriously, can anyone give me an answer????

We've had a decent sample size of Xavi both domestically and in Europe. Hes been a catastrophe in Europe and the jury is still out regarding Spain.

Guess what KO competition is still as important, if not more than league success.

Are people saying that cause we are so called "league masters" that we would succeed in a European Super League?? LOL-we would be looking at relegation or struggle big time playing the bigger teams week in week out. We struggle even more when there is added pressure.

Laporta has fucked up plain and simple. He doesnt realise that football has moved on and we dont have the time or money to waste on Xavi's apprenticeship because thats exactly what it is.

serghei

Only thing that is more important than winning La Liga is winning CL. Except for that, nothing is. That answers the question for why Xavi should be kept. If we bottle La Liga, then yes, we should look at other names as it is going to cast serious doubts over his managerial ability.

On the flipside, if we win La Liga (let alone backing it with a Copa win), it's a massive achievement so early in our rebuild, no two ways about it. For the young players, and the managers, and the board as well. The whole discrediting that gets insinuated around here by trying to undermine this possibility doesn't stick at all. Quite pathetic even.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
I tend to be a bit more lenient at times with our coaches. I am ok with Xavi staying. Xavi at least has the respect of the players and gets them to play with intensity. You might appoint a Tuchel and have a great few weeks until he loses the dressing room and players lose will to fight for the coach.

Sailor Mars

The 2nd half was almost from the Valverde era. Just a constant barrage from Real Madrid and Barca unable to muster any sustained attack. Only difference was that most of Barca's players are a lot more mobile compared to the geriatrics from a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans