Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Zincubus

Banned
Most on form striker in the world. Without a doubt one of the most dominating players ever, as long as you build the team around him, my god he is insane. The best thing about Ibra is his game isn't about pace so he can keep going for years! He has absolutely perfected his role.

Just imagine Ibra in the deep lying central , pivotal role ..... flanked by Messi and Neymar ....all interchanging ......

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
The only thing separating him from Henke, for me, apart from his personality...is big match performances...Ibra hasn't really risen to the occasion when it matters most, a quality that separates the true legends, IMO

Trillske

The only thing separating him from Henke, for me, apart from his personality...is big match performances...Ibra hasn't really risen to the occasion when it matters most, a quality that separates the true legends, IMO
Was true a long time ago, but its far from true anymore. Compare the difference to CR; he often cries in big games, Ibra often dominates them. It was the other way around 5-6 years ago.

Big game after big game he has been really good, usually the best player on the field. Zlatan has never done a "Messi", shaping a CL final on his own or similar. But only a few players in history have done that, "Henke" certainly hasnt.

I still woudnt count him out to get one of those out of this world "Messi" performances before he is done, he has time still. But even if he doesnt that big game thing is extremely unfair, it only explains the first half of his career.

pEllee

He has pretty much always dominated big games. The only difference now is that he's more clinical in front of goal so he's more likely to end up on the score sheet.

He's one of the all time top scorers in the UEFA Euro's with 6 goals. Only two players have scored more than that.

He's been brilliant for the national team in countless of qualifying games.
Scored the winning goal in the cup final at Ajax. Scored in lots of Milan derbies and has been dominant in lots of big games in the Serie A. Definitely rose to the occasion in 2008 against Parma -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDFAuv4fNu4
Etc. etc...

A huge myth this -- that he goes missing in big games. His record in the CL knockout stages doesn't look very good. However, if you take a closer look and think about it you'll realize that it's a lot better than what it looks like. For starters, as I've already stated--he was never clinical when he was younger and he was more of a creator. And both Juventus and Inter were underachievers that were setup defensively. So if he perhaps had one good chance to score it was never as likely as it is today that it resulted in a goal. Sure to some extent he was kinda underperforming in those days anyway. He probably should have scored a goal or two in the KO stages during his Juventus/Inter years.
He dominated lots of those games though. Against United at Old Trafford is one example.

Last 15 games in the CL knockout stages; 15 games - 7 goals and 7 assists. He's just more decisive and clinical now. The fact that he often failed to score in the knockout stages back in 2008 is not relevant today. He's definitely a decisive player in almost every big game today.

Last edited:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Was true a long time ago, but its far from true anymore. Compare the difference to CR; he often cries in big games, Ibra often dominates them. It was the other way around 5-6 years ago.

Big game after big game he has been really good, usually the best player on the field. Zlatan has never done a "Messi", shaping a CL final on his own or similar. But only a few players in history have done that, "Henke" certainly hasnt.

I still woudnt count him out to get one of those out of this world "Messi" performances before he is done, he has time still. But even if he doesnt that big game thing is extremely unfair, it only explains the first half of his career.

Still lacking the big match performances IMHO...Scoring some memorable goals in a playoff to make the WC doesn't qualify as a big match...I'm talking cup finals or heavyweight clubs facing off where the stakes are high...I contend he has yet to do that, Henke has...It's not really a criticism per se more than something that has been missing from Ibra's resume, for me

I agree he's been better, particularly since he left Barcelona...Personally, I think the experience here changed the player as he has enjoyed a renaissance to his game...He influences matches more and appears a better teammate...Some of the goals, well he's been knocking in unique goals like that throughout his career

Trillske

Still lacking the big match performances IMHO...Scoring some memorable goals in a playoff to make the WC doesn't qualify as a big match...I'm talking cup finals or heavyweight clubs facing off where the stakes are high...I contend he has yet to do that, Henke has...It's not really a criticism per se more than something that has been missing from Ibra's resume, for me

I agree he's been better, particularly since he left Barcelona...Personally, I think the experience here changed the player as he has enjoyed a renaissance to his game...He influences matches more and appears a better teammate...Some of the goals, well he's been knocking in unique goals like that throughout his career
And I agree, a world class performance in a CL final or similar would be the final icing on the cake that is his career. Problem is, he has never even played one. Yet. Hopefully he gets the chance the coming couple of years. Look at Drogba: his final touches as a serious professional finaly gave Chelsea a CL title.

The biggest games Ibra have played the last years, he has been awesome in every single one I can think of. Last one the double games against Portugal; best player on the field, did enough on his own to qualify Sweden had they been lucky. If that would have happened, the performance would have been legendary.

His last bad big game performance I can remember is actually Barca/Inter, where the whole team looked sick and he looked boardeline dead.

And I agree Barcelona really added a couple of dimensions to his play. He learned to up his work rate, stress defefences, and I really think his character grew much stronger having faced the set backs. Became less myopic and more of a team player.

EDIT: He was also questioned in the CL games against Tottenham, first season with Milan. But I cant really agree with that; he was still the best/least bad attacker on the field. Even scored a stunning goal in the last minutes to save the game, but called of by a 50/50 foul. Wish I had a clip of that, if someone has it please link.

Last edited:

SANNA

He wasent great against tottenham for milan.

But he usually is great these days, at least as often as anyone else. + the teams he plays for except for barca always rely to heavily on him making it a priority to try n mark him out of most important games.

Home of Barca Fans