Zlatan Ibrahimovic

The Observer

Just to make it clear. Zlatan was never used as a winger in Barca. Pep played 4-5-1. Messi was playing behind / alongside Ibra but he didn't like it, wanted total freedom in the center and sulked. IMO he could have adapted if he wanted but he didn't even try. "I'm a Ferrari so I play only how I want" attitude. Ironically he looked super slow and everyone else around him looked like Ferraris off the ball. Just one of those player who needs a team built entirely around him and pull the strings on his own.

Armando929

Well it looks like night and day because its a completely different type of football. Am not saying i think french football is better than spanish cause i don't think that, i think the opposite. But i think that the french teams are generally better than the spanish at keeping your opponents from scoring. Its a more defensively oriented league.

If you have zlatan in your team you dont set it up to play counter football, it would be a waste of his abilities. Like i allrdy said i don't think zlatan would have scored more goals than ronaldo i just think they wouldent slip against the lesser side and that his winning mentality would have brought trophies. Ronaldo seem to be very content winning nothing as long as he scores lots of goals, zlatan would not be.

Zlatan wasent happy why should he stay? regardless of reasons really. And the way he saw it the coach had no interest in explaining or even talking to him why should he settle for that? I think barca would be a better team with ibra but i dont think ibra would feel better or would even be better at barca than he is now so it worked out in his favor.

Personally i would have loved to c ibra continue in barca (then) but not as a winger who cant speak his mind or drive his ferrari to practice. I like zlatan beeing zlatan.

I don't deny Ibra's winning mentality. We have to definitely give him that. The only thing is, I'm not so sure Real would have suited Ibra stylistically even if try would have tried. Those guys on Real are either just super quick and athletic or bullies which is why that cheating fouling style and quick counters suit them. Ibra's more finesse and slow build style. He would be too out of place with that in Real and it wouldn't suit them.

With us, I honestly think had Ibra stayed, we could have possibly been even BETTER if Ibra would have played in in the center with Villa to his left and Messi to his right, but I insist the problem was that Zlatan wanted to be THE MAN and it just wasn't possible with Messi out there and Pep's philosophy of lots of quick movement off the ball. That part I don't think suited Zlatan.

Ronaldo is more of a "me" kind of guy than a team player true. But sometimes Zlatan is the same way too. His character issues have preceded him since his Ajax days and they've followed him everywhere as well. I think both guys problems have always been that the team has to give themselves to them, whereas with a guy like Messi, he's willing to give himself to the team.

SANNA

I don't deny Ibra's winning mentality. We have to definitely give him that. The only thing is, I'm not so sure Real would have suited Ibra stylistically even if try would have tried. Those guys on Real are either just super quick and athletic or bullies which is why that cheating fouling style and quick counters suit them. Ibra's more finesse and slow build style. He would be too out of place with that in Real and it wouldn't suit them.

With us, I honestly think had Ibra stayed, we could have possibly been even BETTER if Ibra would have played in in the center with Villa to his left and Messi to his right, but I insist the problem was that Zlatan wanted to be THE MAN and it just wasn't possible with Messi out there and Pep's philosophy of lots of quick movement off the ball. That part I don't think suited Zlatan.

Ronaldo is more of a "me" kind of guy than a team player true. But sometimes Zlatan is the same way too. His character issues have preceded him since his Ajax days and they've followed him everywhere as well. I think both guys problems have always been that the team has to give themselves to them, whereas with a guy like Messi, he's willing to give himself to the team.

Well i dont think real would be ideal for ibra either but its not like ibra is a one trick pony. He does wants as much ball as possible, thats true. My original point was that its a big task to go to a new team and perform at the highest level. Ibra did it time and time again, more so than any other player so to say ronaldo or messi could do it just as well or better because they are great in their current teams is neither fair nore is it accurate imo.

I honestly think zlatan told it like he sees it, felt it. He's usually not someone to talk crap. He felt left out for whatever reasons. And weather or not he had "legitimate" reasons to feel that way is pretty much beside the point. If he felt like that then there was no going back after a certain point but yeah, i too think it could have been great.

Sure ibra like to be the star but so does most if not all "star"strikers its one of the attributes that makes them what they are imo. I dont think he is nowhere near ronaldo on that scale as ibra would not be okay with doing good himself if he dident win anything in the end. I think messi wants to be the star too he is just not as outgoing about it. Maybe we will c eventually if his forms fades and he goes to another team but probably not. its easy to play for the team and give your all when you are allrdy the undisputed star in a team that wins almost everything. In what way does messi give himself to the team that ibra n ronaldo does not? Its an illusion imo. He doesent run much he doesent track back much so what is it?

Armando929

I will admit that Messi doesn't track back as much as he used to.

During Pep's days, he pressured defenders more along with Pedro and Villa. For the past couple of seasons he's done it less but he will still do it.

Overall though, I think Messi is more WILLING for the most part to create chances for his teammates whereas Ronaldo and Ibra will often times shoot from outside the box instead of trying to create. This isn't always a flaw. Sometimes I've felt for the past 2 years that Barca won't always shoot enough and will sometimes pass too much. In that sense its good to have a Ronaldo or an Ibra whom will take a shot when nothing else is available but there are also moments when they should pass and they'll sometimes take a shot that's not needed, this is especially true in Ronaldo's case, and he's still a player I have a lot of respect and appreciation for.

Its a matter of balance.

SANNA

I will admit that Messi doesn't track back as much as he used to.

During Pep's days, he pressured defenders more along with Pedro and Villa. For the past couple of seasons he's done it less but he will still do it.

Overall though, I think Messi is more WILLING for the most part to create chances for his teammates whereas Ronaldo and Ibra will often times shoot from outside the box instead of trying to create. This isn't always a flaw. Sometimes I've felt for the past 2 years that Barca won't always shoot enough and will sometimes pass too much. In that sense its good to have a Ronaldo or an Ibra whom will take a shot when nothing else is available but there are also moments when they should pass and they'll sometimes take a shot that's not needed, this is especially true in Ronaldo's case, and he's still a player I have a lot of respect and appreciation for.

Its a matter of balance.

Well i dont think Messi gives himself to the team anymore than ibra or ronaldo or a ton of other players tbh. Barca were better at pressing a few seasons ago that was more down to team tactics rather than messi giving himself to the team so its mute imo.

Ibra isent selfish at all and sets up his teammates atleast as much as messi does. The reason messi doesent shot is he usually stands in front of a wall and if he does not and its just 1 or 2 players he has got a better shot at scoring by beating them than shooting outside the box. Ibra does not shot a lot either, way to little. You might think so cause you have seen a few long shot goals lately but he does not.

pattegrisen

japp =) and after that the barca hate and the love for mourinho and ronaldo begun its more than embarrassing when you read the comments in aftonbladet for example.. So many of us swedes doesnt understand football at all but have so many opinions

CatalinR10

NSFW

Zlatan.gif

:blush:

:worthy:

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
He's just the sort of pain in the ass that was never, ultimately, going to fit in at Barcelona...Shame because I think he's fantastic (And hilarious) but he isn't worth the baggage that comes with it

Trillske

Overall though, I think Messi is more WILLING for the most part to create chances for his teammates whereas Ronaldo and Ibra will often times shoot from outside the box instead of trying to create
Was going to question your view on Messi, but it more seems like you dont know Ibra. Zlatan is playmaking first, striking second. Thats the way he plays. If you just follow youtube highlights you will miss it, a bizarre consequence of the fact that his scoring lately has been insane.

Overall, Ibra is way more like Messi. They both need that huge space on the field, the "domination" types of players. Its not about building the team around them, its about giving them freedom on the field.

Another fact too often overlooked is that Ibra and Messi are two of the absolute best playmakers in the world. C. Ronaldo is not that type of player.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans