1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Meitux

the fact is that for every player,shouldnt be judged just by one game...even if he had a good one or a bad one

Mr Hulot

For everyone here that is defending Ter Stegen: Are you really watching a midtable german team like Gladbach week in week out?(with the exception of the german guys/girls of course.)
It is like in the Santana thread, that people cannot believe how this player is not good enough just because he is a top 10 player in video games. It is crazy how many people are willing to make everyone believe that this guy should be our next goalkeeper.

Meitux

For everyone here that is defending Ter Stegen: Are you really watching a midtable german team like Gladbach week in week out?(with the exception of the german guys/girls of course.)
It is like in the Santana thread, that people cannot believe how this player is not good enough just because he is a top 10 player in video games. It is crazy how many people are willing to make everyone believe that this guy should be our next goalkeeper.
so the reality is that he is not worthy of this team? who would you suggest?

Last edited:

loozy

so the reality is that he is not worthy of this team? who would you suggest?

No, he is not. If you want a German goalie, get someone with experience, who has been between the posts for more than two or three seasons.

Mr Hulot

I don't watch as much football as many of you guys so I don't have an opinion for many of the new hot prospects, but I like players like Victor Valdes, De Gea, Courtois, Willy, Cech and Diego Lopez... I just find difficult to believe that there are so many people on this forum that like to watch Gladbach and can properly judge Ter Stegen as a goalkeeper and then defend him after a bad game he played.
I do not know if Ter Stegen is all that good or not, but for me he is in the bad, youtube player, category, just like Neymar and everytime that I happen to watch them play I am everything but excited.

Indignado

I totally agree that people often make up their opinions about players off of Fifa, YouTube highlights or one single game but ter Stegen is definitely good and will probably be one of the best in a few years.

spark

I do not know if Ter Stegen is all that good or not but for me he is in the bad, youtube player, category , just like Neymar and everytime that I happen to watch them play I am everything but excited.

This is just the opposite end of the extremes you are talking about.

Doobs

The Messiah
I like Ter Stegen but this is true. If he is to join he'd have to be groomed and nurtured before he can become first choice. So either we buy two GKs with one of them being him and the other an experienced one or not buy him. He would certainly be a risk.

Although not getting him could mean we could lose out on a potentially great keeper.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
This isn't about being an expert about anything, This is about common sense, You made two bold statements, When you where in know place to make them, You admitted you're no avid watcher of BM, Which more or less means you hardly watched any games of theirs, Yet let me remind you and the others what you said:
"Courtois is far more consistent and concentrated than ter Stegen"
"He hasn't even been great this season"
It's puzzling isn't, How can someone confidently make these statements, Yet he hardly watched any games of his this season, And this is what's my argument is all about, It's the reason why i quoted these for the second time and highlighted them for you again, I didn't have any problem about what you saw in your own eyes, Or about this game specifically, But i do have a problem when someone makes a generalized claim when he ought not to, And if you just echoed what you heard in other places and posted it as your own opinion, It certainly won't help your case.

I don't really know what kind of a rating system they use, It's obviously very flawed, I only visit the site for raw statistics, I quoted their ratings now just to make a point , That even though i already know how bad their rating system is, I'll gladly take it over someone who hardly watched the games.

You have a point there, but if anything don't consider it as 100% my opinion, consider it as a culmination of matches/videos watched (and I have watched at least 6-7 BM matches plus the Germany match so it's not as if I'm doing it blindly) and articles/comments read. With knowledge distributed around people in today's world, is it truly wrong for me to reiterate what has been said by many people already? You don't have to watch every single match to make an informed opinion, you just need to have the ability to back it up. Does the fact that I somewhat rely on the judgement of others make the comment any less accurate? See for yourself what others say and what can be found with some research and observation. I take it you're more of a "see it to believe it" type person but I personally am willing to believe the information that at this point can be considered common knowledge because of how often it is repeated. Having watched Courtois often this season, I'll say he's consistent. Watching ter Stegen's progress through various matches and videos along with others opinions, statistics, etc. I'll say that he's had some struggles in consistency this season. Is that wrong? I doubt it.

Also my main criticisms were of his performance in this game, not bashing him as a player overall. No one can do that off of one game, same reason no one can glorify a player off of a single performance either. I still say that he'd be a good long term transfer target and making a move to a big club should inspire him to improve and up his game.

Last edited:

Eetu

Adormit
I don't really know what kind of a rating system they use, It's obviously very flawed, I only visit the site for raw statistics, I quoted their ratings now just to make a point , That even though i already know how bad their rating system is, I'll gladly take it over someone who hardly watched the games.

Had never before that visited the page and decided to give it a look. Was just shocked going through the scores, as they're surely not even a result of any natural rating process. Looked more like a bad algorithm, people with high ambitions but not resources to see them through, something that should go to category not even watching the matches too.

None of the two lists is any good, there are GK's on kicker's list who were very bad all season, in the end those ratings are made up of biased fans' ratings or biased reporters' opinions, nothing there comes from true "experts" (if there's anything like that in football).

Yeah. Pretty much so.

Mr Hulot

This is just the opposite end of the extremes you are talking about.

I don't mean to say that he is not a good player, as I said in my previous post already, it is just that my flawed character tend not to like a player that receives so much praise that I personally cannot justify.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
The perfect scenario would be to buy both Reina and Ter Stegen. Let Ter Stegen learn for a year or two and let Reina be the starter for that time.

Chainsaw

Killahead
The perfect scenario would be to buy both Reina and Ter Stegen. Let Ter Stegen learn for a year or two and let Reina be the starter for that time.

I'm not sure being a bench warmer for a year or two help any player to learn anything (except the language perhaps). That's not something I would call "the perfect scenario".

Butaan4barca

perfect scenario would be to buy curtosis. Better to teach keepers some passing skills than working on his keeping flaws.

XaviMessiGirl

Well there's the idea of buying both & sending Ter Stegen out on loan... that way he could still be playing regularly instead of sitting on the bench. But I'm not sure it's best to use transfer money on two gk's, if we need two of anything it would be CB.

Home of Barca Fans