1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Zangash

Banned
sure there is. Many times the goalkeeper can reach as far as one of the posts.

If you keep it low or high and put it to one of the corners you'd have to be going up against some kind of freak to see that fail to make it past. Go watch some footage of penalties saved in the CL and compare them to ones that are scored.

don't need to, its a fact goalkeepers can leap all the way to the posts, sometimes in time.
Of course most saved penalties are badly taken ones, the same logic applies to about everything in the game.

During the atletico-leverkusen shoot-out, one blocked penalty was a powerful shot headed for the inner post iirc.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Any penalty that is saveable at all is a poor penalty.

Not really, most penalties are pretty savable nowadays. As far as saving penalties goes, this one from MAtS was one of the less impressive ones.

don't need to, its a fact goalkeepers can leap all the way to the posts, sometimes in time.
Of course most saved penalties are badly taken ones, the same logic applies to about everything in the game.

During the atletico-leverkusen shoot-out, one blocked penalty was a powerful shot headed for the inner post iirc.

Yeah TornAndFrayed, I was going to refer to Leno's save on Koke's penalty too :lol:

Nowadays, goalkeepers are (quite sensibly) making their minds up before the shot is taken - choosing to study the penalty taker's style and diving in their preferred shooting direction just as they're about to shoot. This gives them that extra bit of time to move and reach the posts. Of course, a bullet penalty into the very top corner (rare) from the likes of CR7 will not be saved no matter what, but the vast majority of penalties are neither that well placed nor that well hit. In fact most penalties are nowhere near the side netting (relatively) yet they're scored.

Alen

So he didn't get called for NT duty. Does Low not see him as the future starter? I know it's good for him to get playing time in the sub 21 team, but i think calling him for a friendly or two would be good for his confidence.

Zangash

Banned
He's not even a starter for his club. That's the logical next step he's going to need to make before he can hope to hang in there with the world champions.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, though these Jens Lehmann-like moments happen rather rarely to Neuer these days. ;) Though I agree, ter Stegen needs time and if he is condemned because of an occasional blunder, it will be your guys' loss in the end as he will go on and become one of the best goalkeepers in the game anyways.

Zangash

Banned
It's to counteract the hate that Bravo gets.

Bravo gets hate because he's not better than ter Stegen in any way yet was brought in to take his position as starter. Mats being able to play in all our biggest games is a clear indicator that the purchase of Bravo wasn't necessary.

anguy

Bravo gets hate because he's not better than ter Stegen in any way yet was brought in to take his position as starter. Mats being able to play in all our biggest games is a clear indicator that the purchase of Bravo wasn't necessary.

Nonsense. He wasn't that expensive and it is prudent to have 2 good keepers. Bravo was bought as an insurance if TS flops. Also Stegen was bought as No 1, Bravo was only able to become no 1, because of his injury. I want MaTS to start too (I believe he has higher ceiling than Bravo), but I really admire Bravo - MaTS, obviously more popular younger GK is constantly breathing on his neck, he knows if he makes a mistake he might become permanently benched, but he doesn't seem to be nervous in games at all. He's obviously pretty strong mentally, which is very important for GK.

I have a feeling Valdes wouldn't be able to handle such no 2 as MaTS very well...

barcanuck

So he didn't get called for NT duty. Does Low not see him as the future starter? I know it's good for him to get playing time in the sub 21 team, but i think calling him for a friendly or two would be good for his confidence.

This has been bothering me since the world cup. I mean for the love of God he is in barca and can pass better than any other goalie not named Neuer!

Home of Barca Fans