1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

Alik

We are Barça. We can't wait years for a player to become world class. He has to step up now or he won't make it here.

We can either risk him getting more consistent game time this season, or we should have loaned him out to a club where he would play every match until he can take over from Bravo.

It worked with Chelsea.

As it is, I don't see him improving with the minutes he's getting.

On the other hand, there's always the chance Bravo could get injured.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
We kind of do that, unless we're talking about exceptional talents like Messi, Busi, Iniesta and others. And those guys delivered right away almost.

They were promoted though, and given regular minutes to prove their worth, although they were exceptional talents as you said so easier to give them a shot.

Actually, Busi wasn't counted as an exceptional talent by many people. When he was brought in, he made some wrong decisions at times and people got mad at Pep for not playing Yaya over him. Worked out quite well in the end I must say.

Could have got Reus over Neymar. Or we could have gone for a well established, experienced option instead of bringing Pique back.

Anyhow, I don't think GKs should be compared to outfield players. Even a phenomenon like Neuer at Schalke and De Gea who was rated very highly in Spain even before his move to Man Utd went on to make some really, really bad mistakes.

I agree with Alik above and that's what I've said since day 1. You either give him consistent minutes or you loan him out like Chelsea did with Courtois. You can't expect him to be WC and don't make a single mistake when he got irregular playing time and faces more difficult opposition in the Champions League that way.

Last edited:
F

Flavia

They were promoted though, and given regular minutes to prove their worth, although they were exceptional talents as you said so easier to give them a shot.

Actually, Busi wasn't counted as an exceptional talent by many people. When he was brought in, he made some wrong decisions at times and people got mad at Pep for not playing Yaya over him. Worked out quite well in the end I must say.

Some still are. Busi is still underrated by a few. Vv faced the same sort of criticism, and it wasn't once or twice. MAtS is at a crucial age of a gk's developement. He really should be loaned, if he won't play la liga. But then a better gk than masip would be needed as a sub, and now that isn't possible.

serghei

I agree with Alik above and that's what I've said since day 1. You either give him consistent minutes or you loan him out like Chelsea did with Courtois. You can't expect him to be WC and don't make a single mistake when he got irregular playing time and faces more difficult opposition in the Champions League that way.

I have nothing against loaning him. And I agree he should receive consistent minutes. But results come first. Remeber De Gea at United. Yea, they had patience with him and they stuck with him even when he was what the french call a gaffeur. And in the long run, he learned from those mistakes and is now the finished product. But United also finished 7 that season, remember that when you give United and De Gea as an example.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I have nothing against loaning him. And I agree he should receive consistent minutes. But results come first. Remeber De Gea at United. Yea, they had patience with him and they stuck with him even when he was what the french call a gaffeur. And in the long run, he learned from those mistakes and is now the finished product. But United also finished 7 that season, remember that when you give United and De Gea as an example.

Man Utd finished 2nd behind Manchester City and won the Premier League in the next season.

Alarcón

Then Barca should always buy experienced, well established players and fans then not complain about lack of youth in the squad.

I'm sorry, ter Stegen is 23. How much more time does he need to iron out his silly mistakes? Someone who says in public he wants to play in the league as well needs to actually justify these comments with good performances. We can play young players, but they need to show signs of improvement, and we can't risk losing too many points or even cups because of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love him and I have demanded for him to play more this season but he is not making a case for himself at all.

God Serena

Just thought I'd leave this here. It's kind of interesting, because this was in the same competition. The main difference is this mistake actually costed us the trophy while ter Stegen's mistake was just one part of a total nightmare.

All players make mistakes, keepers included. The only difference is there isn't anyone there to bail a keeper out in most cases. Give the German regular playing time and quit giving him the Pedro treatment* and those mistakes will iron themselves out. As far as Mats not pulling out any world class saves, did you see his defense? Did you see his midfield? During the league Bravo didn't have to endure a lineup in front of him that pathetic since his Real Sociedad days, and in case you've forgotten, when Bravo played for La Real he conceded goals almost nonstop, to the point that it looked to many like Lucho had just signed a terrible goalkeeper upon arriving at Barcelona.

*Pedro treatment= "He's good when he's good I guess, but when he's bad he's the worst player on the team and does not deserve to play over anyone who may be better."

mssarm

I'm against loaning Ter Stegen out. He should play in Liga and Bravo should be the substitute. Bravo is already established player, sitting on the bench won't damage him and TS needs more playing to develop. We either believe that TS has the talent to become a world class player and we give him that opportunity or just sell him. He doesn't have mindset of being #2. I personally believe he has what it takes to become world class, he just needs regular playing time.

Qqqq

I'm against loaning Ter Stegen out. He should play in Liga and Bravo should be the substitute. Bravo is already established player, sitting on the bench won't damage him and TS needs more playing to develop. We either believe that TS has the talent to become a world class player and we give him that opportunity or just sell him. He doesn't have mindset of being #2. I personally believe he has what it takes to become world class, he just needs regular playing time.

This. Either you play him regularly so he can develop or you sell him (or loan him out). It's that simple. Does the club believe in him or not.

Home of Barca Fans