1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

frog-fcb

Seems so many forget MATS is the gk that won us the cl an copa . We have conceded quite a few goals this pre season but how many of them would we have conceded if we gad a fully functioning fit team on the pitch. Yes he give the ball away for athletics first goal but was probably tryin yo start a counter an catch athletic on the back foot

Jesse1509

Detalles, detalles, siempre detalles
We are Barça: in important matches especially, the best keeper should play: Bravo. Let MATS play the cup games and easy fixtures only. If we want to win prices, we should maximize our odds to win them, and not value potential development over sheer quality. A loan would be perfect, but since we can't replace him now this is the lesser evil imo.

frog-fcb

You have to think of the future to. For me bravo isnt to far ahead of ter stegen in ability but mats is a lot younger and has the potential to far excede bravos level. The only way for mats to reach his potential is to have regular game time. The same goes for all our young players. Yes there might be a few mistakes and errors along the way but even the most seasoned pros make mistakes just as long as they learn from.there errors im.happy

Catalan Fan

What are you lot on ? How was ter Stegen at fault ?

The fallout from this game is getting silly now.His distribution was poor, but that was basically due a combination of our shit defence/midfield and their pressure and high pressing.

He wasn't at fault for any of the goals ffs.

Observer

Banned
For starters, the whole team was a mess. But for facts sake:

1st goal was a young GK mistake (unnecessary, risky, showoff & bad luck)
2nd is a set piece counter derived from a defensive screw up.
3rd is total defensive crap
4th is a PK

Dont crucify him yet for having an off-day on a team blunder fest, the urge perspective of having a WC young player now will only damage his development. If you treat every young star that way you gonna ruin a lot of careers. I've always baffled at the major difference on how this forum treat Masia prospects versus young signings and their expectations. And the football business is not exactly helping career development as well. He should get consistency to build efficiency, I would agree to have a switch from last season rotation to nurture his confidence. GK florishes after 30's anyways, examples like Curtois and DG are exceptions not rules. Bravo can play the competitions, the higher demand will consolidate him even more.

Also, credit where credit is due. This isn't FIFA/PES, there's actually 11 players on the other side of the pitch who can also play independent of how good/bad Barca play. The hater/fanboy mindset would dictate that Barca should win 100% of the matches and if they didnt it would be Barca's fault. We should grow up from that perspective already.

Last edited:

Catalan Fan

He wasn't at fault for the first goal.He did the right thing and got a great head on the ball and made a good long clearance....

It was a sublime strike on the half volley from a quick thinking player who I doubt could replicate it again if he fucking tried lol.

So let's put that one to bed eh ?

vinni

hmm. He headed the ball unpressured straight into a cluster of Athletic players. He should just taken some steps back and made a safe pass.. Think it is safe to say it was his fault. I dont mind a mistake here and there but when it comes from showboating there is no excuse. It is worrisome that our GK is our second biggest showoff. He just need to keep it simple and dont allways try too hard. Bench if you ask me.

Chainsaw

Killahead
He wasn't at fault for the first goal.He did the right thing and got a great head on the ball and made a good long clearance....

It was a sublime strike on the half volley from a quick thinking player who I doubt could replicate it again if he fucking tried lol.

So let's put that one to bed eh ?

What are you on about???! He could just simply stay in his own box and grab the ball. It was heading into the box and no one was pressuring and could reach it anyway.

"Great head on the ball and made a Good long clearance"!! lol. Whatever dude

BBZ8800

Why should we not mention that MaTS played in a tougher knockout competition against opposition of the highest quality as compared to Bravo. Plus using the U21 example is pure BS cause you can basically put Oliver Kahn with that defense and he'll still concede. Of all the games Bravo played, the relatively tough matches were against Atleti, RM, Valencia, Villareal, Sevilla and maybe Bilbao (who we rekt in the league) while MaTS played against City, Juve, Bayern, Atleti, PSG, Bilbao (the motivated trying to win only trophy version), Villareal and I'm still probably forgetting someone.

He played tougher knockout CL matches, and Psg in a group stage.
Then he played bunch of extremely weak matches in a CL group stage and in Spanish cup (except a few matches).

Bravo played some tougher matches in La liga also.
Real x2, Atletico x2, Valencia x2, Sevilla x2 and at least 10-ish tougher matches in La Liga.

He is the same age as courtois and a year younger than DDG. He needs to become a permanent fixture for barca soon or he will never reach the heights of those two keepers who had regular football week in week out since a young age.

I am not saying that he hasn't as good potential as those guys, but we are too often assuming that every one of our youngsters is a pure gold and the best potential in the world, and all he need is playing time to reach those heights.

Similar examples:
-- Adama only needs playing time, some might say
-- Halilovic only needs playing time to become a world class
-- Bartra only needs matches in a row to reach his insane potential :/
-- now the same with Mats

So, yes, in one hand:
1. some players have insane potential and they ONLY need time and matches to reach their potential
2. but on every player who needs only time, are probably 2-3-4-5 players who only look as if they have a high potential, but they aren't improving. Not because they aren't getting minutes, but because they just aren't as good as the best in the world and they'll never be

Anyway, I am not talking against Mats here, but this excuse is starting to be used too often by our fans lately.

We are taking as granted that Mats is the best Gk in the world. And all he needs is time.
I would personally rather read opinions like:
= let's give him some time and then we will see WHETHER is he actually good enough
= and NOT: let's give him time and he will more or less surely reach a needed level

You're talking to a wall.

People who think keepers like De Gea and Courtois started off like pro's who never made any mistakes.

I didn't watch Claudio when he was at this age, I reckon he played for Colo-Colo? BUT I bet he made similar mistakes because there's simply not been a GK at this age who's been free of mistakes. Not to forget Bravo was a bit blunder prone at Real Sociedad too where he played just a couple of seasons ago, but has been great and solid so far here and since the World Cup.

Neuer still makes stupid mistakes. De Gea has also had one mistake here and there. So has Courtois. The difference has always been that their fanbase and teams have supported them through it. Same with Oblak. Started off badly and as Atleti's cup keeper. Whenever he played, shaky as hell then towards the end of last season he looked like a different beast altogether.

But Don, again the same story.
Yes, there are great players and Gks out there who made mistakes while they were young and they needed a long period to reach the current level.
But AGAIN, there are 100s of players who were hyped to reach their levels and they failed.

So, what I personally don't like lately is:
= when Halilovic plays like an idiot, some people reply: But Messi also made mistakes when he was young
-- ok. But Halilovic won't be a new Messi, so let's look at his mistakes/flaws as on his flaws and let's leave Messi's development aside
So, yes, Messi also made mistakes, but Adama/Halil won't be new Messi's, no matter what happens.

Neuer/Curtois, yes, they made a lot of mistakes.
But again, Mats has 3 options:
1. we will give him chances, and no matter how many mistakes he will made, he will eventually turn into a next Neuer/Curtois/De Gea
2. we will give him a lot of chances, but no matter how much minutes he will get, and no matter how much he will learn/improve=he will never reach the highest level.
3. we won't give him enough of chances, and we will never know whether he is the guy from the point no1 or point no2

But again, too many of our fans are assuming that most of our youngsters ONLY need time and chances, and they will reach the highest level eventually.
Well, it doesn't work that way.
People are forgetting about guys from the point No2.
Who have a lot of potential, who get a lot of playing time, but who still end as not good enough.
In fact, there are much more those guys than Neuer's and De Gea's.

Last edited:

Jägermeister

And what does this video suppose to prove? That the GK did the right thing at the first place letting the player find the empty net to take his shot?

This is in defense of Marc. It shows that the exakt same thing happened to Neuer a few years back.
They both were unlucky that their header landed exactly on the foot of an opponent.

Hummelsbauer

This is in defense of Marc. It shows that the exakt same thing happened to Neuer a few years back.
They both were unlucky that their header landed exactly on the foot of an opponent.

Except it's not the exact same thing. Neuer intercepted an opposing player from getting the ball in a potentially dangerous situation and also had little time to place the ball well. He did the right thing.

Ter Stegen's scene was part blunder part unlucky. It was unnecessary.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Except it's not the exact same thing. Neuer intercepted an opposing player from getting the ball in a potentially dangerous situation and also had little time to place the ball well. He did the right thing.

Ter Stegen's scene was part blunder part just unlucky. It was unnecessary.

+1. Nothing similar. Very poor attempt of praising a mistake into the 'right act'. Similar case as Neymar and Ronaldinho comparisons after the former's rainbow flick against Athletic coming up with all kind of latter's best tricks which looked nothing like Neymar's failed attempt.

Jägermeister

+1. Nothing similar. Very poor attempt of praising a mistake into the 'right act'. Similar case as Neymar and Ronaldinho comparisons after the former's rainbow flick against Athletic coming up with all kind of latter's best tricks which looked nothing like Neymar's failed attempt.

Where did I say that it wasn't a mistake? I only pointed out that the outcome was unlucky and that those things can happen to everybody.
I just don't understand how people always point at terStegen, a player that does not get enough playing time to be at his best. It is the same situation with Pedro. When players do not play regularly, they naturally cannot perform like they would with lots of playing time.

Home of Barca Fans