1 - Marc-Andre ter Ansplant

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
I would actually prefer that you rate him as the best GK in the world. That would make me content, though I'd settle for top 2.

Ter Stegen actually makes less mistakes than many other world class keepers when you consider how involved he is in the Barca buildup. Others would constantly be committing blunders if they had to play the Barca style.

You did not just call Mats the best GK in the world purely because of his ball-playing ability.

the job of the GK is to make saves, something Mats is not very good at these days.

Sailor Mars

You did not just call Mats the best GK in the world purely because of his ball-playing ability.

the job of the GK is to make saves, something Mats is not very good at these days.

Get with the times. The job of the GK has evolved and encompasses several more skills. His ball playing ability is elite and his other skills range from very good to elite as well(aside from maybe handling crosses/corners).

Horatio

You're welcome
Also has he not too often played the ball into foot of the opponents to praise him on his ball-playing abilities?

Sailor Mars

Also has he not too often played the ball into foot of the opponents to praise him on his ball-playing abilities?

Most of them were when he was forced to play longball for a static Barca side under Valverde, Setien, and Koeman too. This Barca side under Xavi, post Christmas break, has been far more mobile and have more separation from the opposition. Allows for MATS to make better passes that are less intercepted.

Of course he has had some bad games, but that is like any other world class keeper

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
Get with the times. The job of the GK has evolved and encompasses several more skills. His ball playing ability is elite and his other skills range from very good to elite as well(aside from maybe handling crosses/corners).

He is not good in any of the "modern GK" musts bar passing. His sweeper-keeper ability is abysmal. Rooted to the line when he has to come out, vacating his position and gifting easier chances to opponents when he has to stay on the line. Bad at claiming crosses. Bad at saving long shots. His goalkeeping technique is inconsistent, and he is not very acrobatic since his knee injury.

Why not play a midfielder in goal if ball-playing is so important? And I think you are overrating his passing anyways. It's inconsistent, and is often poor when he is pressed.

JamDav1982

Will happen when asked to play ball out as much as he has been but for a while there was definitely a problem of using him to try and break lines too much and that being on defence and him.

His passing has been very good lately and he has had important saves v likes of Elche, Real and even Sevilla despite it being from his poor punch.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I would actually prefer that you rate him as the best GK in the world. That would make me content, though I'd settle for top 2.

Ter Stegen actually makes less mistakes than many other world class keepers when you consider how involved he is in the Barca buildup. Others would constantly be committing blunders if they had to play the Barca style.

You do have a point there although even with that he's been a bit more reckless since last year or so instead of keeping it simple sometimes. Even seen Xavi noticeably annoyed with him for that. But yes he's better than all GKs there apart from Ederson and Neuer probably.

But my criticism is mostly related to actual goalkeeping. Not the build-up or how good he is with his feet. He has regressed considerably in that department.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
This Barca side under Xavi, post Christmas break, has been far more mobile and have more separation from the opposition. Allows for MATS to make better passes that are less intercepted.

Right, so most GKs would look better under Xaviball where it is easier to pass and find teammates. Doesn't mean Mats is a passing genius. Young GKs are taught to play with their feet anyways nowadays, it's been incorporated to the meta at youth level.

DonAK

While the build-up/being good with your feet aspect is getting increasingly important in modern football and is important for us, how many GKs is he better than at pure goalkeeping? Not taking anything else into consideration.

How do you rate him in comparison to:

Alisson

Ederson

Neuer

Mendy

Donnarumma

Courtois

Oblak

Keylor Navas

Emi Martinez

FinBarcelonafan

While the build-up/being good with your feet aspect is getting increasingly important in modern football and is important for us, how many GKs is he better than at pure goalkeeping? Not taking anything else into consideration.

How do you rate him in comparison to:

Alisson

Ederson

Neuer

Mendy

Donnarumma

Courtois

Oblak

Keylor Navas

Emi Martinez

Good list. He is tier below those guys.

Sailor Mars

You do have a point there although even with that he's been a bit more reckless since last year or so instead of keeping it simple sometimes. Even seen Xavi noticeably annoyed with him for that. But yes he's better than all GKs there apart from Ederson and Neuer probably.

But my criticism is mostly related to actual goalkeeping. Not the build-up or how good he is with his feet. He has regressed considerably in that department.

If Xavi or the board move to replace him in the summer, you might have a point in that he isn't a top keeper and has been a liability. But I don't see that happening and there have hardly been any rumors linking Barca to a new keeper, unlike with other positions. When Barca moved to replace Valdes, there were several GK rumors throughout the 13-14 season.

JamDav1982

Right, so most GKs would look better under Xaviball where it is easier to pass and find teammates. Doesn't mean Mats is a passing genius. Young GKs are taught to play with their feet anyways nowadays, it's been incorporated to the meta at youth level.

He is one of best out there with ball at feet to point it became over used.

Xavi seems to have simplified it again and he is there an option not a tactic to break lines when defence or midfield can do it.

There was some graph recently showing him to be best passer of ball from GK in Europe I am sure. Cant be arsed looking for it and depends what metrics they chose but he is one of best.

His passing v Real was brilliant. His save was top class at 0-0 and he came out to dominate ball in air. Yet folk forget that game and go on about for weeks when makes a poor punch out.

DonAK

If Xavi or the board move to replace him in the summer, you might have a point in that he isn't a top keeper and has been a liability. But I don't see that happening and there have hardly been any rumors linking Barca to a new keeper, unlike with other positions. When Barca moved to replace Valdes, there were several GK rumors throughout the 13-14 season.

Valdes announced he was leaving around December that year I think so that was a bit different. There have been rumors about us following multiple GKs but they might not be convinced it's worth the investment with other priorities or waiting another year to see if they can find a clear definitive upgrade.

Sailor Mars

Yes most GKs would but many wouldn't be able to execute much on those passes.

Donnarumma is pretty young. Doesn't seem like his youth coaches got the memo.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

There were Donnaruma rumors in the summer, and recently Lafont/Dragowski/etc. rumors. The latest rumor is that we'll have Pena "compete" with him, however.

Home of Barca Fans