1 - Victor Valdes

Tezemery

Valdes is a classic example of a player who an opinion was formed on during his early playing career. There is no disputing he was very inconsistant and error prone in his early career, You wouldnt of thought it was unreasonable for Barca to sell during that period.

But from 2007 til now, he as been nothing short of sensational for you lot, Despite this, the media and some fans who are easily influenced by them still labelled him as inconsistent. And every time a mistake is made on his part, you get this, 'We need to sell...'

I genuinly think he's been on a par, if not better than Casillas these last few years, just a shame he's not as well appreciated as he should of been.
Totally agree mate, he was pretty bad on occasion before 2007, a few things that people seem to forget though when Aresnal had 3-4 great chances in the champions league final Valdes made amazing saves and we could have been 2 or 3 down before there keeper was sent off, i always think he and Larsson were the difference that night, and again against United in Rome he saved 2-3 shots at the start of the match before Eto'o scored and we might not have won if it wasnt for him.

People are quick to praise Casillas but if Valdes had let in 6 at home they would of murdered him, same with the 5-0, honestly when Barca play against Casillas he doesnt make many saves esspecially during the Pep era he looked average everytime we played them.

Last edited:

barca7788

Nepali Cule
we are on a very grey zone in this case tbh. no one knows whether we will get better keeper than him or not. everyone in our defense line including vv has done lots of mistakes. be it abidal, puyol, mash, pique, marquez,adriano etc etc. every bunch of fans complains about a player in every game. its been same from day 1 I registered in FC BARCELONA forums.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Only real mistake VV made was that vs. Madrid in Supercopa first leg.

You can't expect him to make saves from unmarked shots.

Theconomist

Only real mistake VV made was that vs. Madrid in Supercopa first leg.

You can't expect him to make saves from unmarked shots.

the bold statement is reality.

It's a bit sad that whenever there is a one on one situation we know it's going in.
We have a very average keeper and we'll have him for the next half decade at least, some of us have gotten used to it.
The great saves in the CL finals you guys were talking about, good keepers make them week in week out.
Look at Buffon,Neuer and this season Hart.
I'm not talking about the mistakes, i'm talking about the routine saves that are the difference between 2-2 and 2-1

Meitux

the bold statement is reality.

It's a bit sad that whenever there is a one on one situation we know it's going in.
We have a very average keeper and we'll have him for the next half decade at least, some of us have gotten used to it.
The great saves in the CL finals you guys were talking about, good keepers make them week in week out.
Look at Buffon,Neuer and this season Hart.
I'm not talking about the mistakes, i'm talking about the routine saves that are the difference between 2-2 and 2-1
i tottaly agree,and one of the biggest examples of what Valdes is all about saves is this

so much tight angle and like a needle and still he scored it

Ode to Django

You're not even a real journalism
Valdes wont be sold either way :facepalm: that would make the clubs image look daft.

Valdes is perfect for Barcelona, not many are better, every GK makes mistakes.

Tezemery

People hating on Valdes so stupid, probably the same guys that think Messi is slow and not good anymore and Xavi has lost it, sometimes i wonder if all of you are cules like you claim to be.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
The only way Valdés could have saved any of Cristina's goals would be if the ladyboy had poor finishing... As Bojan said, he was unmarked and was allowed both time and space to take a shot, which in neither case was Valdes' fault...

VivaBarca

If Carlsberg did forum members
The first was Valdes fault, a keeper shouldn't lose a goal at their near post, it wasn't a particularly accurate shot.

Theconomist

I don't understand why you guys can't seem to see the difference between an error prone goal keeper and a goal keeper that simply doesn't produce enough saves.
The first can still be a great,even world class goalkeeper; look at Buffon or Casillas for example. The problem comes with the second type of goalkeepers the one where routine saves aren't made, they aren't mistakes they're just a result of not having the ability to save consistently. It's not the first time there are 1 or 2 shots on targets against us and they all go in I know that's not fair because of circumstances but when Valdes saves you can see it even in chat it's an evenment. It should NOT be this way, saves should be a routine part of his job. Valdes mostly handles the ball when taking it from the back of his net.
I'm not saying we won't win another treble with him in the nets or still be the best team in the world I'm just saying that most of the time it'll be despite having Valdes as a keeper and not thanks to.
Again I emphasis on most of the time, yes he does have his moments just like Crouch and Heskey do too.

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
The point is not how many shots are on target, but what kind of shots are on target... Valdés has plenty of routine saves, and some very good ones too, many that have been crucial in CL finals no less, or just watch the end of last season where he kept us alive in La Liga, so saying we win thing despite having him is inaccurate... If you want to criticize his current form, then fine, I may not agree but can understand the point, but to say he hasn't been important in all the team has achieved in the last years is just being biased against the guy...

raedkuwait

To me Valdes Just need to stick to goal keeping rules and basics, and not to try and smart up, by that i mean, if a player
has a wide angel like ronaldo the other day, and van perse the goal keeper just need to hug the post and
make sure he is not beating near the post, if the attacker produce a stunning shot and beats u on the far
post then fine, good for that player, its simple just follow goal keeping rules and every thing will b fine.
And i know and every one knows that Valdes was important and helped us for our past achievements, but
that was the past, if he cant produce the saves any more then its time to move on and find another goal keeper
we cant live on the merit of what he has done for us on the past.

BibB

Valdes has always been a dodgy keeper. His good performances are the anomaly not the bad ones. The way I see it if he has a good performance great, but if he has a bad one its just typical Valdes. To give him his due though he did improve under Pep.

Home of Barca Fans