1 - Victor Valdes

F

Flavia

Víctor Valdés: "My wife Yolanda and I are very happy with the birth of our second son Kai Valdes Cardona."

67893_467092723340948_168289296_n.jpg

Congrats, VV.

Xtroverto

Some interesting tidbits from Unzué was spelled out yesterday, he said more or less indirectly that Valdés has motivational problems, it is interesting since he was Valdés GK trainer for 8 years until this summer. If this is true, I find it a bit strange that the club has not taken more steps towards putting him under pressure by either rotating him with Pinto or bringing in the B-squad keeper for the occasional game. Valdés in my opinion is absolutely critical if we are to challenge for any silverware this season, and if he isn't 100% mentally present, then we might just forget winning any trophies :icon_neutral:

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Some interesting tidbits from Unzué was spelled out yesterday, he said more or less indirectly that Valdés has motivational problems, it is interesting since he was Valdés GK trainer for 8 years until this summer. If this is true, I find it a bit strange that the club has not taken more steps towards putting him under pressure by either rotating him with Pinto or bringing in the B-squad keeper for the occasional game. Valdés in my opinion is absolutely critical if we are to challenge for any silverware this season, and if he isn't 100% mentally present, then we might just forget winning any trophies :icon_neutral:

If he doesn't get highly motivated after looking at that tattoo, then nothing will...

Xtroverto

where did you read this?

I did not read it, Unzué was invited to a football program on Catalan TV yesterday.

If he doesn't get highly motivated after looking at that tattoo, then nothing will...

It is not that kind of motivational problems that he is running into but rather more in the line of complacency, lots of success in combination with having no competition is taking its toll on Valdés mental edge. If not taken care of this could be a huge problem in the future. Unzué did not say it strait out but rather let us know in between lines that he lost his ability to mentally keep Valdés on the edge last year, watching him from distance moving into structured routine which is the opposite from what he wanted from Victor. We'll have to see if the new GK trainer can turn things around but i guess a tough competitor is the only long term solution to this problem.

Last edited:
X

xaviniesta

didn't valdes recently said that he want to go until 40 like VDS?

if all this motivational thing is true then barca have some serious problems. i think you explained before here very well how barca failed with their expensive goalkeepers and its really hard to find another one. it could take years to fit in for another keeper, just like valdes who struggled earlier, after like 5-6 years he finally found himself here. a new goalkeeper is definately a long term project here. so all the fanboys who scream here that they should buy this or this goalkeeper because he looks cool on youtube videos should think twice before they something like this again.

PS are you catalan?

Last edited:

DennyCrane

We'll have to see if the new GK trainer can turn things around but i guess a tough competitor is the only long term solution to this problem.

Disagree strongly. The whole idea that competition solves confidence/performance issues is a misunderstood dogma of modern day man management. While it may work for some, it doesnt work for others.
Distinct man management is the need of the hour - tailor-made and custom-fitted. And honestly, I couldn't think off a better example than VV for that.

He was interviewed for the Robert Enke biography and admitted that he hated goalkeeping till he met Pep. He thought of himself as a rather bad GK and was bound to crumble under the pressure of (believed) strong competition. He further stated that it was Pep who taught him to actually enjoy football. Therefore, it was wisely decided not to put him under that pressure - and he flourished. We've seen the very best of him in Peps' era without any competition at all (because Pinto is not his competitor).
Argumentum e contrario: Bring in Neuer, Hart Lloris or any other GK people are likely to namedrop everytime and it will be the beginning of the end.

On another note, Unzue should keep his mouth shut for his own sake. He's implicitly admitting that he failed to motivate VV and therefore failed his task. Good riddance.

Xtroverto

didn't valdes recently said that he want to go until 40 like VDS?

if all this motivational thing is true then barca have some serious problems. i think you explained before here very well how barca failed with their expensive goalkeepers and its really hard to find another one. it could take years to fit in for another keeper, just like valdes who struggled earlier, after like 5-6 years he finally found himself here. a new goalkeeper is definately a long term project here. so all the fanboys who scream here that they should buy this or this goalkeeper because he looks cool on youtube videos should think twice before they something like this again.

PS are you catalan?

The thing that really caught me was when he replied to a question saying, although I will not reveal everything I know I will answer honestly, this of cause in that context regarding Valdes not performing up to his standards changed my perspective on the whole matter. Now suddenly there is more than meets the eyes and I just don't know what to think of it?

Being asked about it, Unzué did touch upon the idea of bringing in a new keeper, basically saying that for the club to find a keeper capable of assuming the role of Valdés from a tactical perspective it would be a nightmare regardless of who it is, and this coming from a guy that has 10 years of first hand experience as a GK in Primera División and on top of that 8 years as the club GK trainer. Valdés is such an integrated part of the whole game that at least from Unzués perspective the club will not be able to just bring in a WC GK and in the process he more or less completely wrote of a GK such as Celtics Fraser Forster as totally unrealistic in the role as a Barcelona GK.

And, no I'm not Catalan but I speak the language as a part-time resident of Barcelona.

Disagree strongly. The whole idea that competition solves confidence/performance issues is a misunderstood dogma of modern day man management. While it may work for some, it doesnt work for others.
Distinct man management is the need of the hour - tailor-made and custom-fitted. And honestly, I couldn't think off a better example than VV for that.

He was interviewed for the Robert Enke biography and admitted that he hated goalkeeping till he met Pep. He thought of himself as a rather bad GK and was bound to crumble under the pressure of (believed) strong competition. He further stated that it was Pep who taught him to actually enjoy football. Therefore, it was wisely decided not to put him under that pressure - and he flourished. We've seen the very best of him in Peps' era without any competition at all (because Pinto is not his competitor).
Argumentum e contrario: Bring in Neuer, Hart Lloris or any other GK people are likely to namedrop everytime and it will be the beginning of the end.

On another note, Unzue should keep his mouth shut for his own sake. He's implicitly admitting that he failed to motivate VV and therefore failed his task. Good riddance.

Yes, but if Valdés personal GK trainer and man manager for the last 8 years say that competition might actually be good for Valdés, then he must know what he is talking about.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans