1 - Victor Valdes

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
As much as the way the situation was handled is far from ideal, I do respect his honesty. He, of course, could have waited a bit longer in making the announcement, but Vicky has always been rather straightforward (sometimes to his detriment). Be it as it may, though, that's his wish and we ought to respect that. He has served us more than well over the past decade.

However, the reaction of our fans is way over the top and gives an impression that 90% of the people are spoilt cry-babies putting the "11 of La Masia" above anything else.

(Enter Berlin)

Blaugrana dude

There's some truth to what Sid wrote but he conveniently sidestepped or minimized some other issues that helped the theme of this piece

1. Victor's agent and negotiating for Casillas money.

2. The tit for tat played out in the media ahead of this announcement which reflects there was more going on than a feeling to test out new cultures/leagues etc.

3. Barcelona is arguably the greatest club in the world, perhaps of all time, and have been experiencing an unprecedented era of hegemony with VV assured of his place in that legacy - leaving when there is no signs of a letdown reflects abandonment since any change would be a step down in sporting terms.

4. The timing is not only more than just poor but ill advised as even the club had wished to jointly announce it at the END of the season so as not to serve as a distraction - how much of a distraction does this make it now eh?

5. And by 'honorably' refusing to even enter into negotiations, Victor & his agent are effectively taking a heavy handed approach to pushing a transfer before 2014 since no player (Particularly a cantera one) is kept at the club who wants to leave - no dead men walking at FC Barcelona.

Not a very balanced or insightful take from Sid, IMO...Just seemed like an opportunity to slam the club which is reminiscent of journalists like Skip Bayless who simply look for angles to exploit/attack rather than report

If I'm not mistaken Sid attacked the Catalan press and their questioning of Victor's loyalty to the club. If you think the Catalan sports press equals FC Barcelona then your sadly mistaken. I would never equate tabloid journalism with an institution like FC Barcelona. I didn't see any "attacks" as you claim on the club.

And as for VV leaving the club at the time of great success, there is nothing wrong with that imo. He will leave a champion and will be remembered for his contributions to the team (have you forgotten what this club has achieved already?). Honestly its better than leaving when the team is down and out or in decline. My only problem is the timing. It would have been better if he revealed his intentions before the end of the season.

F

Flavia

Valdes decided to give a press conference to explain why he will leave, according to MD.
He should have done it to say why he was leaving, instead of letting his agent handle things the way he did.

Leo10

You tell me that you need me
Then you go and cut me down, but wait
You tell me that you're sorry
Didn't think I'd turn around and say

That it's too late to apologize, it's too late
I said it's too late to apologize, it's too late

raskolnikov

I dont see what the big deal is about, some of you act like its iniesta wanting to go.
Victor is a good keeper but he isnt irreplacable.
If he wants to leave then let him, we can get someone else.
Also the time is good, I prefer him saying it now rather than when the cl ko phase starts or in the summer.

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
You know who else held a press conference when he was leaving?

lebron-closeup-horiz-mctjpg-4724b2c543167698.jpg

And we all know how that worked out, right?

Home of Barca Fans