10 - Ansu Fati

serghei

True, Pedro had no place as soon as the team pursued a Galactico model. He is the anti-galactico player basically. As the setup became individually-oriented, Pedro's best skills became overlooked.

Also because, after Xavi, the midfield declined a lot in creative quality. So the creative burden had to be placed more on the individual creativity of players such as Messi or Neymar.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Even when he left he had a damn good career at Chelsea and was a vital player for them there. If anything Ansu reaching Pedro's level would be a massive success for him and us.

Windhook

Ansu imo is different. Imo, his problem is mentality related, part of it due to Barca jumping the gun and considering him too good too early.

He broke his leg at 15, followed by almost a dozen of other leg injuries. Given his young age the mental trauma is there.

If you have ever been injured more seriously you'd know about the dark thoughts during recovery.

serghei

He broke his leg at 15, followed by almost a dozen of other leg injuries. Given his young age the mental trauma is there.

If you have ever been injured more seriously you'd know about the dark thoughts during recovery.

I don't think the injuries he suffered tell the full story. His low workrate and not so great speed got noted prior to his injuries.

serghei

Even when he left he had a damn good career at Chelsea and was a vital player for them there. If anything Ansu reaching Pedro's level would be a massive success for him and us.

But he's a completely different player. raphinha could use Pedro's way to success at Barca.

Windhook

I don't think the injuries he suffered tell the full story. His low workrate and not so great speed got noted prior to his injuries.

It was never about his speed, but quick movement in the box, finishing and flair in front of the goal. That's why I preferred Ansu in better times in the past to be played in more of CF role (not Xavicross, of course). Never impressed me in a winger role.

As of current Ansu seems to have lost all of his quickness at feet for some reason, physical or mental, and that's why he's been poor since the last injury.

Birdy

Pedro wasn't pushed out. The club didn't want to sell him and Lucho tried his best to make him stay, but he wanted to leave for a team where he could start. He had no chance starting over Messi or Neymar at Barca.

I acknowledge that.
It doesn't mean though that he was as good as folk here claim.

ajnotkeith

Having so many injuries of course can affect your level. Mobility, flexibility, trust in his own body, top speed, these will never be as good as they once were. A muscle is always strongest before it has been injured, once it is injured, it can never be as strong as it once was, even if it's only a slight difference.

However, I feel like that's not the main reason he is doing poorly. He has always been a bit of a one-trick-pony (not a bad thing) but right now his one trick, finishing/first time shooting, is not working and he is missing a lot of good chances. Therefore the rest of his game which is a bit subpar has been exposed, the parts that people didn't really think about when he was scoring every time he entered the field.

He will get his finishing talents showing again eventually but the reality is the rest of his game is being exposed and not that strong and that's where he has to improve...

mc_lovin

Calling him a one trick pony is too much. He had excellent movement and build-up as well. Personally I hope we give him another year. He looks rough, but is still very young.

Windhook

I remember Suarez as far as his Groningen days (aged 19-20) and Ansu is at that stage. Down on memory lane, Football Manager was quite helpful in those pre-social media days to spot future greats - Suarez, Falcao and such were given huge potential. Still Messi was mediocre in potential.

malvolio

Calling him a one trick pony is too much. He had excellent movement and build-up as well. Personally I hope we give him another year. He looks rough, but is still very young.

He always was a one trick pony - tries first time shots. Otherwise hid game is rudimentary. No need to act like he's some Ronaldinho.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
He always was a one trick pony - tries first time shots. Otherwise hid game is rudimentary. No need to act like he's some Ronaldinho.

You don't have to go to extremes and hyperboles, no one called him a Ronaldinho. He did have great off-the-ball movement and touches in the build-up. That may come back. No need to be devoid of nuance.

jamrock

Having so many injuries of course can affect your level. Mobility, flexibility, trust in his own body, top speed, these will never be as good as they once were. A muscle is always strongest before it has been injured, once it is injured, it can never be as strong as it once was, even if it's only a slight difference.

However, I feel like that's not the main reason he is doing poorly. He has always been a bit of a one-trick-pony (not a bad thing) but right now his one trick, finishing/first time shooting, is not working and he is missing a lot of good chances. Therefore the rest of his game which is a bit subpar has been exposed, the parts that people didn't really think about when he was scoring every time he entered the field.

He will get his finishing talents showing again eventually but the reality is the rest of his game is being exposed and not that strong and that's where he has to improve...

One trick pony lol.

JohnN

It think his issues are confidence related only..
We can talk about losing mobility, etc, after the injuries that rumors were alleging about him some time ago, but I just don't see that

Last season in between the injuries he was scoring wondergoals like vs Celta or Levante, and important goals like vs Dynamo or vs Real in the Supercopa
The difference is that last season he was still confident

Look at Stegen: everyone trashing him last season saying we need to move on from him, and he has been brutal this season

Ansu just needs the confidence equivalent of Stegen's hair transplant to find his former self

Disgraceful take. How on earth can you compare someone who is a cog in the best team ever with someone shining in a struggling, and in transition, side?
Don't wanna downgrade Pedro, but Fati in his confident self is better player hands down. Pedro does what he is supposed to do like a good soldier, but would never rise above the team in occasion, at decisive moments to score a goal out of nowhere like Ansu did many times.
Had Fati been part of Pep's machine everyone will be going ecstatic about him.

When did Ansu shine for a struggling team.
Is it disgraceful (really heavy word) to say a club legend like Pedro who was part of arguably the best version of the best team in the world, is better than a kid that has accomplished nothing, and is currently a sub option for this version of Barca and Spain.
So you think anyone would walk into Pedro's shoes and the team would be just fine?
I don't get your takes.

Home of Barca Fans