10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mitkoa7x

If he hits 60 this season im going to..
south-park-i-just-came-500x375.jpg

lessthanjake

Hahaha, I like Cristiano as little as you do, I'm sure, but one can't deny that he is looking at all-time great status. After winning the Ballon D'or at ManU, he has 126 goals in 127 matches with Real Madrid. That's ABSURD. I know he gets a ton of penalties, isn't an amazing passer, doesn't have the best work-rate, and seems to have become more of a poacher than he was previously, but even if all he brought to the table was the goalscoring (which still isn't quite the case), he'd be at an all-time great level. Players simply don't score 50+ goals in a year (and probably two years in a row as he will likely do it again this season) unless they are in a different stratosphere from other players.

B

barcelonista

There is a difference between being a great player and a great goalscorer. Gerd Müller has scored 398 goals in 453 games for Bayern and 68 goals in 62 games for Germany and he has even won a World and Euro Cup. Yet no one considers him among legends like Maradona (who has a rather poor goal scoring record by the way). When you talk about Messi, you remember his performances (THAT goal against Real Madrid in the CL semis, THAT performance against Arsenal in the CL quarters, the 5 goal performance against Leverkusen, THAT pass to Villa in the 5-0 mauling of Real Madrid, THAT dribble when he was 19 years old against Getafe, that CL final performance where he was nutmegging half of Manchester United's team). When you talk about Ronaldo, you are talking about numbers only. People will always remember performances, not numbers. While Ronaldo deserves a lot of credit for his goal scoring record, goal scoring alone doesn't make a great player, let alone an all-time great.

X

xaviniesta

There is a difference between being a great player and a great goalscorer. Gerd Müller has scored 398 goals in 453 games for Bayern and 68 goals in 62 games for Germany and he has even won a World and Euro Cup. Yet no one considers him among legends like Maradona (who has a rather poor goal scoring record by the way). When you talk about Messi, you remember his performances (THAT goal against Real Madrid in the CL semis, THAT performance against Arsenal in the CL quarters, the 5 goal performance against Leverkusen, THAT pass to Villa in the 5-0 mauling of Real Madrid, THAT dribble when he was 19 years old against Getafe, that CL final performance where he was nutmegging half of Manchester United's team). When you talk about Ronaldo, you are talking about numbers only. People will always remember performances, not numbers. While Ronaldo deserves a lot of credit for his goal scoring record, goal scoring alone doesn't make a great player, let alone an all-time great.

this so some worthy post

i want players and teams remembered by their performance, by their legacy that they left behind. if i'd look back to this barcelona team in 20-30 years i'd remeber firstly that they rehabilitate the beautiful game.the way they played, how they enjoyed playing and the fans also enjoyed. that all comes before the 'they won x titles that period'

if im looking back to the great brazilians sides, i see their samba football, not how many world cups they won. if i'm looking back to the holland side in 70s i remember the total football and and i remember cruyff for his legacy. how he innovate the game, how the short players dominate thanks to him today, not how many goals he scored. and i would also remember the great france side with their 'magic square' even though they failed to win the WC etc.

and i would never look back to iniesta and say that this was the guy who scored the winning goal in WC final or that goal in SB. i would remember him how he floated on pitch like a ghost, leaving defenders to dead with his unique style.

'more than a club' and 'more than a game' > statistics.

Last edited:
M

mitkoa7x

Did you notice how Leo shaved his beard and started growing his hair again and the results followed *cough* 12 goals in 4 games

T

tariqo

at this point is there any player close to challenge messi for the ballon d'or ?

Clks

The crazy thing is, Messi is a great goal scorer (in terms of stats) and a great player. It's really frightening to think what he'll become when he is 27 if he keeps developing like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans