10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Troll season, happens every year but like many problems around the world it has been a particularly harsh season for trolls

Galning

Ursegor's acct hacked by HBA?...How does the Messi thread continually get soiled by alleged fans routinely criticizing the player?

di-994C.gif

Marcelo just got owned.

Ursegor

World Champion
Ursegor's acct hacked by HBA?...How does the Messi thread continually get soiled by alleged fans routinely criticizing the player?

It's not a criticism of the player to suggest that other players were more derserving of the Ballon d'Or than him in 2009 or 2010. Everyone knows that about 2010. Even Messi himself knows it and admitted that he didn't expect the award that year at all. The Ballon d'Or is not given for the player with the most potential ability (which is Messi, for sure). It's given for the best performer over a season (with special attention to the big moments: CL semis, CL final, Euro Cup, World Cup etc., some players just get it for their World Cup moments alone). Considering that Iniesta was the bigger figure in both the CL semis and final in 2009 and was consistently godlike in the league (while Messi back then was the best forward in the world but wasn't as out of this world as he is now) I'd argue that Iniesta deserved it in 2009 (Messi getting it that year wasn't as stupid as 2010 though). While in 2010 Messi got completely nullyfied by Cambiasso in the CL and crashed out of the World Cup with 0 goals, humiliated in the quarter finals by Germany, not able to make any impact and take the game by the scruff of the neck at crunch time as you'd expect from the "best player of all time".

That gif above is nice but I don't know if Messi wants his international career to be remembered as the bullyier of the Brazil U23 Olympic team in a friendly, running 30 yards completely unmarked. Last time I checked he went 2 international tournaments scoreless. Looking like this because he failed to make an impact against Colombia and Costa Rica on home soil:

I thought this were a football forum. Not a celebrity worshipping forum. :lol: @ the outrage because I stated that 2 of the best midfielders of all time and the core of the most successful national team of all time in some of their best individual seasons were more deserving of an individual award than 21 and 22 year old Messi. Guess I'll have to find myself a true football forum then if this one is just about posting David Villa "swag" pictures and one-liner ":worthy:" smilies in the Messi thread.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
It's not a criticism of the player to suggest that other players were more derserving of the Ballon d'Or than him in 2009 or 2010.

To perpetuate a pointless rant about the merits of an award that has already been given 3 seasons ago by it's very definition is troll worthy...Spare me the woe is me, I can't even make a criticism of Leo drivel

You're merely taking a dump in the Leo thread as have other trolls, it is indeed HBA-esque

E

estranged

To perpetuate a pointless rant about the merits of an award that has already been given 3 seasons ago by it's very definition is troll worthy...Spare me the woe is me, I can't even make a criticism of Leo drivel

You're merely taking a dump in the Leo thread as have other trolls, it is indeed HBA-esque
Spot on. beat me to it.

Ursegor

World Champion

Yeah. Except I didn't start the whole discussion. It all started here on page 1511 before I even said a word:

You know it's sh** when Xavi never won it. Seriously. Xavi played huge part in winning various cups with two different teams. Neither Messi or Cristina can say that. Messi only wins with Barca, CR doesn't win much... Silly reward.

2010 Xavi was far & away the best, also still the most consistent performer around.

Many deserved the balon d'or over Messi in 2010, no question about it.

Sometimes I wonder sometimes if people actually support Barcelona or whether they just support Messi, the answer is clear now.

Yeah, if Messi moved clubs (god forbid) I have a feeling there are at least a few people here who would follow him out.

Yes & the clear reason is the award is more about goalscorers, that's completely obvious. I mean Maldini didn't even win one balon d'or.....

Xavi is more important to Barcelona than Messi & we shall see that when he retires. He is also the brains behind The Spanish NT & the reason why they are so succesful.

Yes, Xavi is not a goalscorer like Messi. If he was, he'd have a ballon d'or by now.

Next time make sure you actually read the thread.

Last edited:
E

estranged

People just stated simple opinions, you're devoting your time to writing a bible about how Messi failed here and there (that Messi copa 2011 vid). At the end of the day the people who vote for Ballon D'Or are more entitled to an opinion on the matter than most people on this forum, and that for a reason. People seem to think that it takes some kind of skill being able to notice how majestic Xavi and Iniesta are, breaking news: anybody who isn't blind can see that. You don't deserve an accolade for noticing Iniesta on the pitch.

K

kroki223

It's not a criticism of the player to suggest that other players were more derserving of the Ballon d'Or than him in 2009 or 2010. Everyone knows that about 2010. Even Messi himself knows it and admitted that he didn't expect the award that year at all. The Ballon d'Or is not given for the player with the most potential ability (which is Messi, for sure). It's given for the best performer over a season (with special attention to the big moments: CL semis, CL final, Euro Cup, World Cup etc., some players just get it for their World Cup moments alone). Considering that Iniesta was the bigger figure in both the CL semis and final in 2009 and was consistently godlike in the league (while Messi back then was the best forward in the world but wasn't as out of this world as he is now) I'd argue that Iniesta deserved it in 2009 (Messi getting it that year wasn't as stupid as 2010 though). While in 2010 Messi got completely nullyfied by Cambiasso in the CL and crashed out of the World Cup with 0 goals, humiliated in the quarter finals by Germany, not able to make any impact and take the game by the scruff of the neck at crunch time as you'd expect from the "best player of all time".

That gif above is nice but I don't know if Messi wants his international career to be remembered as the bullyier of the Brazil U23 Olympic team in a friendly, running 30 yards completely unmarked. Last time I checked he went 2 international tournaments scoreless. Looking like this because he failed to make an impact against Colombia and Costa Rica on home soil:

I thought this were a football forum. Not a celebrity worshipping forum. :lol: @ the outrage because I stated that 2 of the best midfielders of all time and the core of the most successful national team of all time in some of their best individual seasons were more deserving of an individual award than 21 and 22 year old Messi. Guess I'll have to find myself a true football forum then if this one is just about posting David Villa "swag" pictures and one-liner ":worthy:" smilies in the Messi thread.

If you have seen Messi to play in Copa America, you could see, that he played well.He got an award for his play in Argentina. His task wasn't to score. He was beautiful in an other position. He helped a lot. It wasn't his fault, that the others couldn't take advances from him. It wasn't Messi fault, that Tevez couldn't score the penalty!!!!

I think, people who gave Ballon de Ohr to Messi know more about football. Iniesta wasn't better in 2009! Messi made a lot of times the difference in 2009.

MMKa

I already wrote something about the Ballon d'Or in another thread. I'll just quote myself:
Impossible for someone like Iniesta to win. The "minor footballing/non-footballing nations" are making a joke out of the whole award.

– –

I wouldn't allow non-relevant football countries to vote. Appoint experts from Germany, Italy, England, France, Spain, Portugal, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay etc. and get it done with. What's the point in letting Djibouti vote for Benzema as the best player in the world?

So you have counted results without nonfootballing nations? I have, and I have to disagree with you.

Ballon d'Or 2010:
- Messi 22,65% Iniesta 17,36% Xavi 16,48% (Everyone voting)
- Messi 22,02% Iniesta 18,10% Xavi 18,85% (Fifa ranking top 100 voting)
- Messi 25,28% Xavi 19,73% Sneijder 16,82% (Fifa ranking top 30 voting)
- Messi 27,09% Iniesta 14,94% Xavi 21,08% (Fifa ranking top 10 voting)

Last time I checked he went 2 international tournaments scoreless. Looking like this because he failed to make an impact against Colombia and Costa Rica on home soil:

Still, 4 assists in WC2010, selected in top10 shortlist for best player award. In Copa2011, 2 assists & MoM against Colombia, I would say that is "succeeded to make impact".

Last edited:

Papabeef

So you have counted results without nonfootballing nations? I have, and I have to disagree with you.

Ballon d'Or 2010:
- Messi 22,65% Iniesta 17,36% Xavi 16,48% (Everyone voting)
- Messi 22,02% Iniesta 18,10% Xavi 18,85% (Fifa ranking top 100 voting)
- Messi 25,28% Xavi 19,73% Sneijder 16,82% (Fifa ranking top 30 voting)
- Messi 27,09% Iniesta 14,94% Xavi 21,08% (Fifa ranking top 10 voting)

Thats the thing, as in 2009 Ballon D'or results were by far in favour of Messi, why are some people so upset about it anyway... if your a real Barca fan you should be happy both ways, these are two La Masia special players, its not even a LM10 - CR7 issue... its like a mother not just preffering the young offspring :iniesta: over another but disliking the others rather lol..

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah. Except I didn't start the whole discussion. It all started here on page 1511 before I even said a word:

Perpetuate means just that, you should've let it go long ago...the second it turned into a ranta-rama it became a journey into troll-dom...and as estranged already pointed out, it was one post after another on Leo's inadequacies to make your argument for another player...So instead of making it about how Iniesta or Xavi are deserving, it became about how Leo wasn't - trolling

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans