10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tikitakitoes

Its not like EPL has no players with skills though. They lost Ronaldo, but still.
He has great skill but he's also in the 'built like a tree' category, which you have to be to reach your full potential in the EPL. Messi's actually quite sturdy for his size now and with his balance it might not be as obvious anymore as it is with people like Iniesta, but most of Barcelona's current players have some level of physical disadvantage against EPL teams. La Liga and the EPL play different versions of the same sport, and Ronaldo is one of the few to be equally effective in both because he has the characteristics you need for both. Personally, I find La Liga's version of football more entertaining, but I know others like 'grittier' games and don't mind sacrificing some displays of technique to see more battles of strength, courage and determination, and for those people there's the EPL. All I disagree with is the common notion in the UK that players in La Liga have to prove their status by playing in the EPL, because while many certainly wouldn't do as well there, the opposite is also true: most EPL players aren't technically or mentally gifted enough to be as effective in a less physical league.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Messi scored 35 goals and provided 8 assists for both club & country this year(2010, all the goals being for Barcelona though)... I could see him easily score 15 goals in the rest of this year to take his tally to 50(if he saves himself from getting injured). As much as I wish Xavi to win the WPOTY award it would be way too difficult to overlook a tally of 50 goals!!

10Messi10

True Barcelonista
if not messi i wish Ballon d'or goes to xavi..he deserved this..(well i admit more deserved than messi this year)

10Messi10

True Barcelonista
He's already legend..

nebeer

Love is All
Xavi deserve the award more than anyone else this year. Second comes Wesley Sneider.

Yeah, Xavi won La Liga and the World Cup. I have a feeling that even though we are hearing a lot about Sneijder, Xavi actually might get it. He has been consistent for years now and deserves the award for not only what he did this year, but what he has been doing for a few years. What Sneijder did this year, Xavi did that in our treble year already and his contribution was way more than that of Wesley's.

Last edited:

Chainsaw

Killahead
Yeah, Xavi won La Liga and the World Cup. I have a feeling that even though we are hearing a lot about Sneijder, Xavi actually might get it. He has been consistent for years now and deserves the award for not only what he did this year, but what he has been doing for a few years. What Sneijder did this year, Xavi did that in our treble year already and his contribution was way more than that of Wesley's.

Yeah his consistency is actually my main reason to give the award to him (beside his great season with Barca and Spain this year). I believe Buffon and Maldini deserved it as well for the same reason, but they never won it. I hope Xavi won't be the third victim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans