10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanela

His reading of the game and vision has always been excellent. Some of you need a refresher on Messi, the playmaker.

Moe

powered by;
there's a difference between "playmaking" and "reading the game". playmaking mostly depend on the movement of your teammates. reading the game is how the player himself starts to get aware of what is needed in order for his team to break the defence; it might be more long passes, more movement from the wings, more play from the center..etc

zanela

there's a difference between "playmaking" and "reading the game". playmaking mostly depend on the movement of your teammates. reading the game is how the player himself starts to get aware of what is needed in order for his team to break the defence; it might be more long passes, more movement from the wings, more play from the center..etc

Reading the game is one of the core elements of good Playmaking. And that includes one's positioning(including teammates) to facilitate reception and distribution, passing, anticipation and tactical awareness. Leo's game has been demonstrative of the above from a very young age. But hes been so sensatonal at his individualistic skills that the rest of his game has been over-looked. And its only now that its becoming apparent for some.

N

Neji1o

the way he can redefine himself to fit the opposition is amazing.

Espanyol didn't give him much in behind as they constantly pressed him when he had possession high up the pitch (ignore the horrid miss for a second, because Alves created that by robbing a defender) so he came deep to help ignite the play as it entered the final third. some of his dribbles were beautiful, Espanyol couldn't touch him. then later on, with them still pressing him, he held the ball and distributed it to others who had run into space as the defence collapsed on him.

genius.

Absolutely right, good one. I think he is not bothered about scoring goals. He just want to win every games and he enjoys it the most.

FiReFTW

And people were claiming Messi was selfish.. 14 assists this season.

15 total

12 in La Liga, 2nd place has 6, its just incredible... this season he has far more assists than Xavi and yet his goal tally is absolutely out of this world, words are not enough to describe how talented this kid is.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I added that one. As Meta said, Messi dropping back works a treat as he's marvelous when it comes to passing. Defenders just don't know what'll he do. Will he run them over or release someone surging from the flanks. And there is always someone available as most of the time two or more men are involved in marking Messi. A proper nightmare I imagine.
Having fast, scoring wingers in Pedro and Villa is another part of Pep's equation.

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
Yeah, I added that one. As Meta said, Messi dropping back works a treat as he's marvelous when it comes to passing. Defenders just don't know what'll he do. Will he run them over or release someone surging from the flanks. And there is always someone available as most of the time two or more men are involved in marking Messi. A proper nightmare I imagine.
Having fast, scoring wingers in Pedro and Villa is another part of Pep's equation.

This really helped in getting the 'complete Messi' out of Messi this season, he just seem to do everything now...Barca obtaining Villa was big for Messi, the way Pep utilized him was nothing short of genius IMO, its more than what it looks on face value...

Elite-BkD

He has clearly shown too much selfishness on occasion when he very obviously wants to score, citing assists doesn't contradict that. Lately though it seems less common and I haven't recently seen it last for any meaningful length of time.

gingerless

Positives - Playmaking and the short hairdo

Negatives - Finishing (granted he didn't 've many one on ones with the keeper but that missed sitter in the early part of the match was just plain awful..facepalm like) and the rolling on the floor was a bit too much for my liking.

i'm calling you out on this one, do you not know messi well enough to know he wasn't diving? I missed bits of the first half but don't recall him rolling around for no reason, can anyone back this up?

Gnegneri

immaculately conceived
Amen, he is completely unselfish... :worthy: :messi:
No he isn't.

He is like balancedly selfish. It's OK for me though, he has all the capacities to brign selfishness to a good end.

Luckily Messi (and the team in general) create that much over the period of 90 minutes that he can be selfish in ten actions, and totally unselfish in the other ten. That and his killer thgouh balls are emphasized a lot in recent games so that tilts the balance as well.

He is like balancedly selfish. It's OK for me though, he has all the capacities to brign selfishness to a good end.

Humm ... I love the phrase 'Balanced. :whistle2:

Well, I think if we observe Selfishness as what you do, then neither Messi nor X-Y won't be unselfish.

He's a football-player; since his profession is scoring, well, he should score, what's wrong with this?

He may pass the ball to some one once, then he may think about scoring on his own as well, gotta problem with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans