10 - Lionel Messi - v1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerless

the no pressing issue isn't recent, his workrate has been shit for the whole season.

but i don't think he was that bad like he's been made out to be.

yeah, he was pretty average tbh, obviously missing penalty and a few moments to forget but meh... it's messi he will come through i'm not worried the slightest bit. imo though he needs to sit out a couple of games, recharge his batteries and he'll be scoring them hat tricks. last season he got injured and had quite a bit of rest, he needs it right now. i hope he gets the penalty issue sorted though, just learn to smash that shit in god damn midget

Maria

Missed 7 penalties/27(4 in CdR, 2 in La Liga and 1 in CL)..it doesn't seem so bad to me because more than half were in CdR(and Diego Alve has a 70% save rate for penalties)..however I hope that after this some cules will stop dissing Cristiano for scoring all his penalties(although he has in 2 1/2 years as manny as Messi in all his carier at Barca).
What worries me more is his form..this year he has a bigger procentage of bad games/total games than in the last 4 years..and I truly believe that him not being rested is a major factor. I hope Pep will play him no more than 30' against Real Sociedad.

Hatem Ben Arfa

I knew he would miss the second the penalty was awarded. I just knew it. Just had that feeling.

He lets himself get too badly affected if he misses a chance. How often do you see Messi failing to strike the ball cleanly and scuffing his shots well wide?

And I agree, Messi's work rate this season in pressing has been pitiful compared to the last 2 years. He needs like a 3 week break.

Last edited:

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
He had another bad game? Really? to be honest that's a bit worrying for you guys. I've actually never seen/heard Messi have so many bad games in such a short period or season before

Hatem Ben Arfa

He had another bad game? Really? to be honest that's a bit worrying for you guys. I've actually never seen/heard Messi have so many bad games in such a short period or season before

he just needs a good rest for say 3 games.

I think the pressure of being behind Real in La Liga is affecting him and the other players.

Canto

Johan Dalin part II
People will say I'm trolling but I'm not. I genuinely haven't seen him have so many bad games( By his standard) in a short space of time or even indeed over the course of half a season. Yeah he probably needs a rest to be fair, he never seems to get one even in dad rubber games when he should be rested he doesn't seem to be, and he goes on to play the full 90 minutes too.

Maria

I wonder if that extra break around christmas did more bad then good, his head havent been in the game since then

He had that break every year since Pep is our coach..this has nothing to do with it. I believe he is just exhausted and if we aren't resting him against Real Sociedad, then I don't know when.

jairzinho

I'm not trolling, but Leo needs to improve with his penalties, especially in crucial matches like this, and also the one he missed against Sevilla when we dropped two points at the Camp nou and made Javi Varas look like a hero. Don't get me wrong, This Alves guy for Valencia is an excellent gk, but Messi showed him exactly where he was going, with his eyes and posture.

B

barcelonista

He doesn't need rest IMO. He barely covers any ground (the least of all our field players and most of the time just walking) and he barely presses (apart from the goalkeeper). It's his way of resting on the pitch. It's not like he's 32 year old Xavi who's covering 12 km a game or Dani Alves who's sprinting up and down the pitch. He's just back from the Christmas break (which was almost 3 weeks for him). Why would he need rest now? He scored a hattrick just 1 1/2 weeks ago. He wasn't at his best today but he still created 2 or 3 great chances. Slight offside goal from Sanchez, the Dani Alves post shot ... If it wasn't Messi, people would be raving about that performance.

Chainsaw

Killahead
Messi has this kind of character that he needs to feel supported to deliver his best. Call it negative, weak or whatever you like, that's his personality. Messi is always Messi. Even if he has a bad game he might show some magic in one moment and change the course of the whole game. But overally, I got the feeling that the players that are playing beside him upfront right now are not in that level that Messi feel secures around 'em. Messi is a demanding player. Alexis Sanchez, despite all the orgy people have for him in here, and showing some flashes of brilliance during this season is still far from that reliable undisputed part of the Barcelona strking force and Cuenca is just a young lad. Villa, Pedro and Iniesta are all out, so Messi is feeling more and more pressure on his shoulders to lift the team forward and scoring goals.

Messi both needs the trust of his team-mates and to trust his team-mates to deliver his best. That's his character. I don't rule out that he can be tired as well (as I'm sure he is), but on a bigger image, that's how I see it is now regarding his current situation. He has the same case with Argentina, where it's even a bigger mess, and that's why Messi's performances for Argentina are far from the ones that he has with Barcelona. Messi needs security, both in his head and around him to be the great Messi we all know. The more secure he feels, the better he performs. And vice versa.

M

mitkoa7x

Leo needs to shave his beard and grow his hair back and he would be back.

Alissa

Messi isn't tired, yes he plays every game, but he doesn't really play for 90 minutes, that's his way of resting. My biggest fear has always been that Messi loses his motivation, and I think that this is the problem here. We are talking about a guy that has won it all at the age of 24, a guy that has three champion league titles, why should he give his maximum for a ridiculous title like the copa del rey, it's beneath him.

I hope I'm wrong but he just seems like he doesn't give a fuck, and that's the biggest challenge for Pep and the team, they have to keep him motivated, the question is how, what can they give him that he doesn't already have? He seems to love football so much that I always thought that he'll never lose his hunger but I guess he's no exception to the rule after all, why keep fighting when you already have won it all? I do believe though that we'll see Messi at his best during the champions league games, he wants to win two consecutive cl titles and he'll show that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans