10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Here's what Croat Ante Buselic (man who managed Zambia 1971-1976) says about Chitalu and Messi. Probably one of the closest and most fair look into Chitalu, record, etc.

"While I was in charge of Zambia nobody said Chitalu had scored 107 goals".

"When I was there (Zambia) he was a controversial and tricky lad, who was capable of scoring ten goals in the national league matches but there were no records in those days."

"Chitalu was "dominant, inconceivably fast and dynamic".

"Of course the level of competition was not as strong as it is today in Spain, but it’s not easy to score a goal, no matter where you play. Messi is a great player, who plays with both feet. Chitalu was different. He was in a rage with the opposition. Direct and simple"

Buselic also produced a book by Ridgeway Liwena while being interviewed. It's a 300 page piece on Zambian football scene. It states that Chitalu played 15 years, was 5 times player of the year (from 1968 to 1979) and author also claims that in 1972. Chitalu scored 107 goals is official matches and that in 1988. in Paris he received an award from International Olympic Committee for 107 goals and fair play.

"Chitalu liked to fool around and on the pitch too and defenders hated him when he pulled tricks and made fools out of them. He was very fast, dominant. Sadly, he died in a air crash in 1993.
He was handsome and loved life and women. He wasn't crazy about beer like rest of his teammates."

Buselic also added that he wouldn't hold his hand in fire and claim that they kept precise stats back in those days.

Garrus

We should really talk about the 'doubles' thing in this season, I think he netted 10 doubles this season out of 24 games!!, It can't be a coincidence, Mathematically speaking it's not possible for that to happen by pure chance.
The closest explanation in my mind, Is that tito made a deal with him, That he slows down his game dramatically after he nets the 2nd goal, Maybe to avoid what happened last season when messi looked exhausted by may, And it fits a bit to the static movements we've seen from him this season.
The mind blowing thing about all of this is that it shows you how ridiculously good he became, Scoring 2 goals in each game without much effort :worthy:

Last edited:

aki13

I am sorry if this has been posted before. If it has just ignore it, but I found myself watching this.

The thing that stands out for me more than dribbles or goals, are the passes, the speed of his first time passes is above world class in Messi Class.

Cule4life

The Culest
My favourite is vs Copenhagen. Nice clean and deadly hit
Anybody thinks his golazo vs Brazil might win the puskas award.

MMKa

We should really talk about the 'doubles' thing in this season, I think he netted 10 doubles this season out of 24 games!!, It can't be a coincidence, Mathematically speaking it's not possible for that to happen by pure chance.

13 plus a hat trick in 24 games. 14 if 6 games for Argentina also counted.

Here in Wikipedia is listed which goals were official and which weren't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfrey_Chitalu#Goal_record_challenge
80 official goals and 27 unofficial. It is well sourced and you can see Pele-like matches between national team and clubs. They just do not understand the difference between official competition and unofficial. And speaking of unofficial record, Pele scored 126 goals and Müller 146 (does someone know how was it divided yearly?).

Anybody thinks his golazo vs Brazil might win the puskas award.
Can't. The top three are Falcao, Neymar and Stoch.

Last edited:

Semi-Neutral

Sir Alupp Heynrguson
Here in Wikipedia is listed which goals were official and which weren't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfrey...cord_challenge
80 official goals and 27 unofficial. It is well sourced and you can see Pele-like matches between national team and clubs. They just do not understand the difference between official competition and unofficial. And speaking of unofficial record, Pele scored 126 goals and Müller 146 (does someone know how was it divided yearly?).

That has nothing to do with his post whatsoever?

Kerrybai

Here in Wikipedia is listed which goals were official and which weren't: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfrey_Chitalu#Goal_record_challenge

What do you mean by divided yearly?

Pele 126 goals was in 1959.

Muller didn't score 146 in a calendar year. He scored 146 during the 1976/1977 season. I'm not sure what his calendar year record is.

Last edited:

KhaledBarca

So counting Just OFFICIAL goals?

1- Leo Messi 88
2- Gerd Muller 85
Chitalu 80
Pele 75
Zico 70
Etc...

lessthanjake

I am sorry if this has been posted before. If it has just ignore it, but I found myself watching this.

The thing that stands out for me more than dribbles or goals, are the passes, the speed of his first time passes is above world class in Messi Class.

I think this is another thing that Messi really has improved at. The one-twos he does in traffic are truly exceptional, and are a relatively new part of his game.

He used to try to dribble through traffic every time. He's Messi so he can certainly be successful at that, but dribbling through the midfield and then doing one-twos through the final line of defense seems to be even more effective. This is an aspect of his game where he is really helped by playing for Barca, because players like Iniesta, Cesc, and Dani Alves are very very good combining with Messi on these.

It REALLY is mindblowing though when you look at a lot of his one-twos. He does these A LOT, but they are always in huge amounts of traffic. The passes need to be absolutely perfect in accuracy and weight for this to work. You just don't see players on other squads combining like this very often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans