10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

barcanuck

We already did play with a 4-2-4 against Osasuna. Villa, Alexis, Pedro in front of Messi in trequartista position. Xavi and Busquets behind in a sort of double pivot. Worked out amazing as we came from behind to win 2-1 with....Messi scoring twice.

Ah yeah Tito threw out all attackers in this game. What a comeback too! Good thing we haven't had to resort to that for a while!

J

jiopi

Ruud van Nistelrooy: - "Messi is on a different level. The fact he is doing what he is year after year says that he is the best of all time."

GiantKiller

I think Tito experiments with him due to having one eye on the future. Messi won't be able to run as much as he has now in, say, 5 years' time, thus it's easier use his other attributes to the teams advantage like playing more deep or taking over the enganche role Iniesta and Fabregas hold. We were entertaining an idea with a friend of mine of Messi taking over Iniesta's spot just for experiment a few times and see how he does there. It would probably be like having Iniesta on steroids haha.

What comes to Iniesta's assists, I think he's on par with his personal record from last season. He will definitely add plenty more to that tally if he'll remain healthy until the very last game (hardly has, though, but there's hope).

Back to Messi's role, I would for some reason like our midfield and forward line looking like either this:

Busquets

Xavi - Messi

Alexis - Villa - Tello​

or this:

Busquets

Messi - Iniesta

Pedro - Villa - Tello​

In the first example given, Messi would play in a traditional enganche role with having the freedom to roam when needed, while feeding our forward three constantly with passes and creating goal-scoring opportunities (having a go at it as well, if he's in the right position).

In the second example, he be more of a deep-lying playmaker and perform the Xavi role. Despite of being a bit of a tunnel-visioned player, he still can work on that aspect of the game with the amount of time he has and I believe he could execute this role quite well if given the chance.

But this is just a thought discussed.

Yes, I mostly agree. It would be great if the coaching staff can come up with methods to lengthen Messis' peak stage of his career. Also, I'd like to contribute a bit as well.

I definitely agree that Messi won't be able to cover big distances when he gets closer and beyond the 30 mark, . Keeping that in mind and the fact that defensive work required by the midfielders is immense, why not play Alexis up top instead of Villa? This way Messi and Alexis can switch their positions depending on whether Barca has the ball or not. It would also work since Alexis can play very well in midfield, only to the point where he switches back with Messi, though. (Having said that, hope Alexis integrates fully and quickly because I know he can do it. :( )
The other potential candidate for Messis' current position could be Cesc. This way the alternating roles mentioned in the previous point could be expanded with Cesc and Messi swapping positions to add variations to the build-up.

The role of the wide forwards wouldn't change much which is to provide width and work in the channels. So, in your line-up I'd shift Villa out wide and replace him with Cesc/Alexis. As for the other midfielder, Xavi would be my first choice but I feel that Iniesta could play his role well. He's fully aware of how to control the tempo and build up plays and, apart from that, could also allow Messi to play in a 'central right' role because that's the space where he often drops into when he's playing as a false nine. Let's not forget Thiago either.

Also, I've thinking about it and I haven't given up completely on the three-man defence. Didn't we concede less goals than Madrid last season? Was it in the league only if that's the case? I'm not really sure but I'd like to give it another go. Something like this (Assuming Messi plays deeper, that is.):

Bartra - Pique - Adriano/Puyol

Mascherano

Busquets - Xavi/Thiago

Messi

Pedro/Cuenca - Cesc/Alexis - Villa/Tello/Iniesta​

With Mascherano sitting just in front of the defence during possession in the oppositions' half. This way he can do what he's been doing for almost his entire career ( may help against the counter as well ) and then drop back into defence resulting in midfield of Busi-Xavi-Cesc with Messi switching positions.

This is just a thought, though. With the players being so versatile, there could be numerous changes and systems. :) And with Tito being the coach, the positive thing is that the team isn't focused on being fixated to one style and will be able to make minor tweaks should it required by the situation.

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

With that models i would never choose alexis or cesc for the 9 position. Villa is the only that suits the job. A pure killer. Besides Messi of course.

ThwiX

Best midfielder around
Barcastuff:
Lionel Messi has rejected an offer of almost 30M a year from a Russian club, that was also willing to pay his 250M buyout clause. [md]

Paganinisrvnge

I know we just had a big ordeal about stats overload but does anyone know how many goals Messi has in official and unofficial(Barcelona friendlies, Messi and friends, etc.) matches? Thanks.

CatalinR10

bpmcyu

bpn4un

bpeor7

CatalinR10

Godin (Atletico): "Messi is the most complete player. Everyone watches him every week, I know how he plays, but when you face him..." [fifa]

Zico (ex-Flamengo): "It looks like the next World Cup will be the one of Messi. But I hope Brazil and Neymar can beat him." [via dpa sport]

Neymar (Santos): "Messi is the best player in the world." [sport]

Ruud van Nistelrooy: "Messi is on a different level. The fact he is doing what he is year after year says that he is the best of all time."

poldep

Barcastuff:
Lionel Messi has rejected an offer of almost 30M a year from a Russian club, that was also willing to pay his 250M buyout clause. [md]

Yes it's in the newspaper today.. Do u guys think he will ever leave? That's a looooooot of money :rolleyes:

CatalinR10

Yes it's in the newspaper today.. Do u guys think he will ever leave? That's a looooooot of money :rolleyes:

I don't think so but who knows , I wonder how long he will be motivated to win the same things again and again at the same club. As a Barca fan I would be devastated if he would leave but I wouldn't hate him for that after what he has done for the club. Still , I hope and I expect him to retire here :messi:

CatalinR10

Golden shoe rankings :

1. Messi - 52 points
2. Ibrahimovic - 36 points
3. Rimkevicius - 35 points
4. Falcao - 34 points
5. Hosinier - 31,5 points
6. El Shaarawy- 28 points
7. Cr. Ronaldo - 28 points

365-Bitch-please.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.