10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

89Norcal

Messi is priceless because he is irreplaceable. Even if the club got 300 million and bought Hummels, Neuer, Thiago Silva, Falcao, and Aguero; it still wouldn't be the same without Messi. Not to mention, Messi is one of the most widely recognizable athletes in the world and helps the Barcelona brand tremendously. I think he's in like the top 15 most well known athletes in the U.S. even though some Americans say that nobody here watches European football.

Messi is the only footballer I see on ESPN's highlight reels, and they devote literally 4-7 seconds on him somewhere on the tail end of the show. I think Sportsnation showed about 3 seconds of him when he broke the season scoring record lol.

Paganinisrvnge

Messi is the only footballer I see on ESPN's highlight reels, and they devote literally 4-7 seconds on him somewhere on the tail end of the show. I think Sportsnation showed about 3 seconds of him when he broke the season scoring record lol.

It's annoying how little is shown on ESPN unless it's the world cup. I remember one guy on my facebook complaining about "soccer" on ESPN2 so I was like "and you prefer when they show fly fishing and bowling?!". I guarantee that if ESPN got the rights to the Champions League, they would push it more. The sport is going to get bigger(probably will never surpass NFL or NBA, though) and that scares some of the older generation who hate anything that isn't traditionally American.

Some Americans get incredibly butthurt when you bring up the fact that Association Football is much more popular around the world. The world cup has way more viewers and the Champions League final has more views than the Super Bowl. I quite enjoy the NFL and have watched it all my life but the Super Bowl ratings are ridiculously inflated by the fact that at least 40% of viewers barely watched any games that season, are just going to attend a party to get drunk and eat, or are watching simply for commercials.

89Norcal

It's annoying how little is shown on ESPN unless it's the world cup. I remember one guy on my facebook complaining about "soccer" on ESPN2 so I was like "and you prefer when they show fly fishing and bowling?!". I guarantee that if ESPN got the rights to the Champions League, they would push it more. The sport is going to get bigger(probably will never surpass NFL or NBA, though) and that scares some of the older generation who hate anything that isn't traditionally American.

Some Americans get incredibly butthurt when you bring up the fact that Association Football is much more popular around the world. The world cup has way more viewers and the Champions League final has more views than the Super Bowl. I quite enjoy the NFL and have watched it all my life but the Super Bowl ratings are ridiculously inflated by the fact that at least 40% of viewers barely watched any games that season, are just going to attend a party to get drunk and eat, or are watching simply for commercials.

Yeah I enjoy my American sports, and actually didn't watch int'l football much until I was 14-15, now I watch it most :)

I actually did a piece for school called "Why Soccer is a perfect sport for the US" that I was going to put on a blog. Most of the people I showed it to - who never watched soccer - were convinced by it. I even explained why you should overlook diving in the sport. I know it's probably been done by others but I tried to cover all the bases really well.

But I feel like the sport is really growing here now, in terms of our league and sheer number of kids who play soccer now.

M

mitkoa7x

pic.twitter.com/X0OQuwkW
I could't post the image from my mobile, can anyone fix it.. Thanks in advance...

sure, I'll post yet another stat pic.

A_NrLxBCQAEQOBx.png:large

this one goes out to LL, amb amor

Leo10

Barca players approximate salaries:

Messi - 11M
Xavi, Iniesta, Villa - 6M
Alves, Puyol - 5M
Valdes, Pique, Cesc, Alexis, Masch, Abidal - 4M

Jadentheman

Yeah I enjoy my American sports, and actually didn't watch int'l football much until I was 14-15, now I watch it most :)

I actually did a piece for school called "Why Soccer is a perfect sport for the US" that I was going to put on a blog. Most of the people I showed it to - who never watched soccer - were convinced by it. I even explained why you should overlook diving in the sport. I know it's probably been done by others but I tried to cover all the bases really well.

But I feel like the sport is really growing here now, in terms of our league and sheer number of kids who play soccer now.

Dude you should totally post it and forward it to reddit soccer. BTW never really liked American Football anyway. I always hated it and the mass amount of money they make. NFL players go outside the country they're virtually nobody. I always get angry when soccer is rarely shown on ESPN but even cheerleading gets more screen time. And don't get me started on sportcenter. Only three seconds of highlights and then the next 10 minutes are of baseball plays. Then the sportcenter people are so biased toward Soccer it's ridiculous.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The real value is of messi is 'Unknown' or 'x', Whatever number you put on him, It'll be just for the sake of doing business, What i mean is, It's not possible to know how much messi is really worth, Just who is the one willing to pay the most, Because he is a different type of player, Something the transfer market never had dealt with before.

this. Although i hope messi will never have to deal with the transfer market in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans