10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jtmx12

second one villa and pedro made runs into box but so did the defenders. i think it was the right chice by montoya to drag it back to messi because he was so free there. crosses into box have never been barca's forte anyway.

I've seen this play happen a lot with others teams, and it usually ends in goal. Either by those 2 smart strikers like Pedro or Villa, or because a defenders tries to block it and scores as well. In a normal world, those strikers would get the assist - because they are top strikers, not crappy strikers, but instead Montoya gives the ball to Messi, and even tho he was free, the range was long and Messi could have failed it easily, so it really wasn't the best choice either. Like I said earlier, when theres 3 options, and Messi is one of them (in this case the 3 options were our 3 attackers, aka MVP), Barca will always go for Messi.

I've said it before in the Zaragoza thread... Villa & Pedro scored 3 goals the last match with Spain (and made a few other runs that could have increased that), but suddendly with Barca they don't even shot at all (yes 0 shots both of them), means no chance to score. The only thing that Spain lacks is Messi and they win everything.

Last edited:

MMKa

But it is clever move by Villa and Pedro (?) - they clear the way for shot. Four defenders around them in 3rd goal, three in two others. In football there should be given assist points for moves like that.

Btw. The first chance in 2th minute. It looked like Messi was surprised he received the pass. And the shot was just wide, only almost a goal.

Last edited:

Xtroverto

Was Maradona as good a goalscorer as Messi? Well. Maradona played for Napoli in the Serie A of the 80s. Platini's and Laudrup's Juventus with Scirea (some say he was better than Beckenbauer) and Gentile (whose manmarking of Maradona and Zico in 1982 helped Italy win the WC) at the back. Sacchi's Milan. Sampdoria with Vierchowod at the back and Mancini upfront (Sampdoria won their one and only Scudetto in that era). Roma led by Falcao (you know, one of the Brazil 1982 legends) etc. So yes. Maradona didn't score 10 hattricks in a season under these circumstances playing for little Napoli. But I'm sure if he played in a stacked team with basically 10 World Cup winners on his side in an unbalanced league (Barcelona's estimated squad value: € 650 million; Zaragoza's estimated squad value: € 40 million), he would have score much more. But that's the downside of football and statistics. Statistically Mario Gomez is a better forward than Maradona. :lol: :lol: :lol:.

I don't think there is any debate (IMO) that Maradona would have scored far more goals if he had played in a team as offensive as Barcelona, for sure he would have baged hat-tricks and pokers and what not, but there is this huge difference between Messi and Maradona that no argument can can change about and that is the consistency of performing. While Maradona at his best could perform at the same level that Messi does at his best, Maradona never managed to line his best efforts over more than a few games at a time. This is where Messi really outshine Maradona as he is performing with an almost superhuman consistency.

In the case of Maradona, both at Camp Nou and San Paolo I witnessed him in games where he simply didn't show up. We are not talking about bad games here as Messi also has really bad days at the job, something all players do. No, we are talking about games where the team could have played without him and you would not have noticed there was one man less on the pitch. He simply was AWOL, a shadow running around on the pitch. Maradonas consistency decreased over the years being more obvious post 1986 WC but really was already showing a decline in his second year at Camp Nou. Some people have blamed this on his extra sportive life, with long party nights and an ever increasing drug abuse. But i think that his character is the main thing to blame here, he never really was a true professional in the sens of taking care of him self and his training.

The botton line is that Maradona no matter what team or league he would he played in, he would never have been able to match the numbers of Messi for the simple reason that he just wan't able to perform at the same level of consistency that Messi is. If Messi in a 50 match season has 5 really bad days at the job, Maradona had 15. And on the other end, if Messi in a 50 match season has 30 outstanding matches, Maradona had between 15 and 20. The difference is pretty huge when taking this into context of a whole career.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Around this time last season Messi scored his 200th goal for Barcelona. It's incredible to think he will go well over 300 by the end of the season.

mixer

tumblr_mdokgiLQoH1qh44nuo1_400.jpg

raskolnikov

The penalty thing is kind of strange, last year madrid got a bunch of them in the first half while Barca got nearly a penalty every game after february/march.
Yet now we rarely get one again, thought last nights faul on iniesta was a penalty.
It does show the difference between messi and the rest.

oggmar

The penalty thing is kind of strange, last year madrid got a bunch of them in the first half while Barca got nearly a penalty every game after february/march.
Yet now we rarely get one again, thought last nights faul on iniesta was a penalty.
It does show the difference between messi and the rest.

Last night on Iniesta was no penalty it was ball then Iniesta(but I do agree refs tend to give more penalties to RM).

M

messi_xavi_iniesta

Messi is pretty complete as a footballer. And he hasn't peaked yet. So let's wait a couple more years until we declare him the GOAT, shall we? He has like 8 more years at the very top.

Wise. The best of all time discussion is sickening. STOP. Btw, Maradona also play in Barcelona against Zaragoza´s :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans