10 - Lionel Messi - v2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keikoku

Cabbage
There's difference mate.

People are constantly saying this is happening because we built team around Messi
Yes, built the play around 1 player is has its own bad effect, as we saw when other team success to isolate Messi completely then Barca play just passing football.

but i agree it is Leo*s fault ,he was so good he overshadowed the decline of 4 or 5 players...Bad Leo u should suck and not dribble 4 players without being fit against Bilbao and let us lose...pff
Who's said it's Messi fault? He did great with the task our coach trusted to him with bagging goals, he is not to blame.

What I mean to say is, people say it's because we built team around Messi. See the difference? Your seems like we make it Messi at fault, but its not, the management is. But of course we should understand too, a unique player like Messi isn't born every year, thats why how to make it win win solution is our management task. How to improve the team work, not Messi alone bagging 985743896534859723849723894636754343654 goals but when he isn't score Barca is not score too. Maybe there is possibility to increase other players goal ratio even its mean make Messi goal ratio lower with some tactic or instruction?

Kerrybai

^ It's not about lowering Messi's goal count so others score more, it's about others simply playing well in our system. It's not Messi's fault that Pedro has become static or Sanchez can't run pasty a player.

What I firmly believe in, is that Messi should play around 70% of games as false nine, and a solid 30% as a right winger. Provided we have a performing player both on the wing and as striker (neymar ? someone else ? ), the versatility would be absolutely lethal. One of Pedro or Sanchez must absolutely be sold this summer to make room. I'd sell both, the only two sales I would make without hesitation

Stric

I honestly cannot believe there are actually people who blame Messi for... anything. I am amazed by some of the claims we see here. You know it's bad when people start to blame Messi.

SoMa

I would love Leo to score ~60 goals a season but also Alexis or Pedro (for example) to score ~20

Alexis would have around 20 if he had scored most of the clear chances he has missed.

Pedro on the other hand, doesnt even get in scoring positions.

Galning

I honestly cannot believe there are actually people who blame Messi for... anything. I am amazed by some of the claims we see here. You know it's bad when people start to blame Messi.

Thanks for the warning. Not going to bother reading all the pages I missed.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
As an ardent fan of Messi, I only have one complaint about him: He seriously needs to stop walking and start running again, and helping out with defense when necessary.

Kerrybai

:lol: There are some comical posts in the match thread.

CatalinR10

So.....Pep has built a team around Messi that has earned because of this the title of one of the best or should I say the best team in football history. We have won 15 titles ,if you count the La liga this year , in 5 years , all these in a big procent because of Messi. People who are spoled enough to blame him for anything, don't deserve to be his fans. We are blessed to be in a generation in which a player manages to score 91 goals / year and beat records of Pele and other legends. For me Messi is a God and after all the things he has done for the club that I love , I really wouldn 't have nothing to say against him even if he would score 3 own goals in a CL final.

I remember exactly when he had 54 goals scored in a season and i was totally blown away because of this massive performance and was searching on wikipedia who is the player with the most goals scored per season. It was Pele or Muller but after a while he has managed to beat them.

Life has it 's ups and downs and is kind of hard but in my case I only need to watch Messi play and I am happy. So for helping me get better every time I feel down ,and for all that he has done for Barca , I am never going to blame or criticize him for anything.

Kerrybai

This is a great read, I posted it the match thread too. http://www.barcelonafootballblog.com/19208/part-2-comparison/

Messi has scored 42 (Liga) goals this season from only about 120 shots (35% conversion). For Cristiano or Cavani to score that many goals, they’d have to take 230 shots. Just think about that. They’d need 110 more shots – roughly 2x more. That is a ton of balls wasted that turn into Goalkicks/Blocks/Loss of possession.
This is also why, when we say we’d prefer Messi to score less and for others to score more, there’s a downside to that. Those other players will need far more shots to produce the same number of goals and that will result in more loss of possession. There are obviously advantages to this as well, but that’s a downside trade off.

Last edited:

Kerrybai

Oh and just for the record:
La Liga
La liga
Season Shots per game Goals Conversion rate
2009/2010 -------4.7 -------34 ------21%
2010/2011 -------4.5 -------31 ------21%
2011/2012 -------5.5 -------50 ------25%
2012/2013 -------5.2 -------44 ------28% ( My conversion rate percentage is different to the article above )

Messi's shots per game have increased by 0.7 since our wonderful 2010/2011 season. If that constitutes ball hogging and the team only playing for Messi then...:stv172:

Also I'm no scientist but I think his large goal tally could have something to do with improved finishing judging by his conversion rates :sherlock:

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

Messi has demanded a bit too much attention and swallowed up a lot of our attack dynamic, or lack thereof. People shouldn't be flamed for stating that or for stating that a coach should have the balls to sit Messi more and have more of a well rounded team that includes multiple threats Instead of just Messi. Its not Messi's fault per se, but it has to do with him demanding to play and essentially clogging so much of our once potent attack. Its not bad to point that very obvious point out or make someone less of a fan for doing so! We all love and value Messi but let's try and see things objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans